Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

6.5 x .300wsm

I thought I read on here before that somebody built a custom rifle in this caliber. If so, can you give me your feedback on it. Do you like the caliber? Is it difficult to size your brass? What kind of velocity are you getting out of it? David

I thought I read on here before that somebody built a custom rifle in this caliber. If so, can you give me your feedback on it. Do you like the caliber? Is it difficult to size your brass? What kind of velocity are you getting out of it? David

i think red rabbit has one built off of a model 70 super grade. it is a nice looking rifle.

I built one for a guy. He says that it shoots better than his 6.5-284. He is shooting a 140gr at around 3100fps. Brass is very easy to size.

Doug's is a 6.5WSM. I think he resizes 270WSM brass. I would suspect that you will get very similar ballistics to the 270WSM with a slight improvement for the higher BC bullets available in 6.5.

I built a 6.5-300 RCM. 3k with 140s in a true short action and sings in a 2.9" mag box. Brass is EASY, I just use my 7SAUM die as an intermediate step after annealing to get the necks to 6.5. Trim, neck turn, rock on. PacNor still has the PTG reamer I ordered.

Only way to reasonably stomp it's performance is a 264 WM, which I also have. It's a lot of extra for another 200 fps... and most bullets I've used seem to like the 2800-3k window anyway.

I had a 6.5-300WSM built a few years ago from a Win 70 SuperGrade chambered in 300WSM. Kirby Allen in MT did the gunsmithing. I chose a 1-9" PacNor barrel suited for 130 grain bullets. In retrospect, a 1-8 twist may be a better choice for the 140 gr VLD bullets. Targeted velocity was 3200 fps for the 130 grain loads. I chose to work with the 130 gr Berger VLD, Swift Scirocco and Nosler Accubonds. All shot about the same. Best powders for me were Ramshot Magnum and H1000. Retumbo did not give as good of accuracy. Nor much load data, and what is posted on the www varies quite a bit. I started with low charges went higher while shooting over a chronograph and watching for a tapering off of velocity and pressure signs. I resized 270 WSM brass and then neck turned. Dies are from Redding.

From my measurements, powder capacity in the 6.5WSM is about 7% less than the 264WM, which would equate to only about 2% less velocity.

65wsm001.jpg

65wsm004.jpg

My factory-built Model 700 Remington in 6.5 Remington Magnum is ballistically similar to all you've mentioned, and I can buy Remington brass from Midway USA already formed and properly head-stamped. It shoots any brand of 120- and 140-grain bullets tighter than minute-of-deer at any range I ask of it. :D

Bill Quimby

I built one on a savage with a 28" barrel and found that it really wouldnt do anything above and beyond a 6.5-284 except use a bunch more powder to do it. It shot great and it looked cool as heck but i sold it and went with the 260 ackley and haven't looked back. 140 grain berger at 2960 while only using 44 grains of H4831sc is hard to beat.