Sign in to follow this  
thunderbolt

any luck

Has anyone had any luck hunting coyotes at night??? I have gone out 3 times and have had no luck calling anything in. i have been staying 25 to 30 minutes at a time and had the coyotes calling back when i started using group howling. they actually sounded like they were coming in while using this sound. Jusy curious if anyone out there is having any luck.

they might be winding you?

are you using hand calls or electronic caller?

I have yet to get out and try it... still need to get some stuff together.

are you using white light or a red lens?

I would try to stay in a little more open country. too easy to get winded in the thicker stuff.

They shouldn't have a problem committing to the sound. In the day they might be shy about coming across a big open area but shouldn't at night.

Do you mark the spots on a gps that you call or are you just going to familiar areas?

Just curious B)

I can't wait to give it a try!

I bet a coyote decoy would be deadly! You know how territorial they can be. A couple challenge howls and it's on! then again maybe I'm over thinking! Lol!

James

Some buddies and I have been thinking about going. Correct me if I am wrong but not every unit is open to night hunting coyotes, which seems strange to me???????

Some buddies and I have been thinking about going. Correct me if I am wrong but not every unit is open to night hunting coyotes, which seems strange to me???????

Correct! Check the online regs, they are current. Opened Mar 1st, only in certain units.

Wouldnt it be wonderful if people would read the regulations once in a while. :angry:

actually the coyotes have been upwind from me when they start their calling. I have been using a homemade ecaller and a spot light using a red lens. the areas ive been trying are pretty much flat with some rolling hills. just hitting areas im familiar with so no need to gps. once the yoyes start calling back i turn the caller down and add more pauses. i just need more time out in the field to get more experience calling at night.

SORRY Thomc I was merely posting in a way to inform others that not every unit was open to night hunting coyotes! I apologize if it seemed that way just trying to help OTHERS out. I have not read them(double checked) in a while and it seemed for awhile there they could not make up their minds!!

I am mostly curious as to why they chose the units they did. Obviously some are sheep units but some of the others???? not sure???? I think they should open it state wide....

SORRY Thomc I was merely posting in a way to inform others that not every unit was open to night hunting coyotes! I apologize if it seemed that way just trying to help OTHERS out. I have not read them(double checked) in a while and it seemed for awhile there they could not make up their minds!!

I am mostly curious as to why they chose the units they did. Obviously some are sheep units but some of the others???? not sure???? I think they should open it state wide....

No apology necessary I thought this was a informative sight to help others. I ask questions and don't think you should have to apologize for that. We are thinking about trying some night hunting as well on top of the rim, if I am understanding the regulations correctly 4A is open daylong.

actually the coyotes have been upwind from me when they start their calling. I have been using a homemade ecaller and a spot light using a red lens. the areas ive been trying are pretty much flat with some rolling hills. just hitting areas im familiar with so no need to gps. once the yoyes start calling back i turn the caller down and add more pauses. i just need more time out in the field to get more experience calling at night.

They might be upwind when howl...but when they move in they go downwind, most likely if they have been called to before

have you tried no howls and just distress sounds?

maybe like a vole squeak to start off with a real low volume. I had a coyote come on a string once when my batteries were dead and the volume was so low I could barely hear it. I stopped the sound and grabbed my hand call. when I looked up he was on a dead run! high pitch sound will drive them crazy!

I think they will circle the sound most definitely but if you spray down it may increase your chances.

Keep us posted!

I think a lot of people are interested and would like to hear about your outings. :)

Good luck!

James

It may be the way I searched, but I could not find on line (including the AZGFD site) the new rules for hunting predators at night. Specifically, I want to know if there are any units in the White Mountains that are open to coyote and/or lion hunting at night.

Bill Quimby

It may be the way I searched, but I could not find on line (including the AZGFD site) the new rules for hunting predators at night. Specifically, I want to know if there are any units in the White Mountains that are open to coyote and/or lion hunting at night.

Bill Quimby

Not topic related but I searched for quite awhile to get information on acquiring the necessary " tag" to sell bobcat pelts. Unsuccessful.

every stand ive started different. some stands ive started out with howls, greating howls, challange howls and distress calls. Gila outdoors(in safford) had a coyote calling seminar and game and fish was there to inform us of the rules. If i remember it correctly they didnt include units with wolves cause they didnt want the wolves to be shot on accident.

I found them at azgfd.com

below hunting clicked on season dates

scrolled down to second set of stop signs

clicked on download the current version here

Bill Quimby

It is in the 2012 hunting and trapping regulations, under furbearers.

See the "daylight" and "daylong" regs.