Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

Best broadhead for deer

i shoot the G5 montec 100 grain. THey fly really good for me, really easy to sharpen. Most of my family shoots them and i started and i like em alot. they did a good job on my javelina, I have yet to shoot a deer w/ them but i can't wait untill archery season

I shoot the Steel Force 85gr 4 blade. I have killed 5 big game animals with them and the penetration is unreal. They also leave a heck of a blood trail.

I like mechanical heads. . . . I once read an article about the top ten mech heads where they shot them through two pieces of plywood spaced a foot a part. Only two broadheads made it out the first , the Vortex Mini-max, and the Rocket Steelhead. . . The Rocket got through both pieces of plywood.

I zipped one all the way through my elk, ribs in and out. . . . arrow was lying ten feet past the elk and he never knew what hit him. The head was in perfect shape and still sharp.

I zipped one through my deer at 45 yards. . . both really really clean kills as both animals went down within 40-80 yards.

I know that both heads fly well, with the rocket being much quieter.

For fixed blades, I stick with NAP thunderheads, there is a reason they were the best selling heads forever. . . the G5 is a good head though, not quite sharp enough to shave with out of the box, but a good head and nothing to go wrong with the one-piece design.

my 2 cents worth.

Ultimate steel 100 by rocket are also a good head with field tip accuaracy. At first look they do not look very impressive due to the fact that they are small, but the trail it left after blowing through my elk was awesome. They are solid still and pretty much indestructible.

I shoot Thunderheads 100's and have never had a problem. I don't think you could go wrong shooting Muzzy's either. I'm not a fan of mechanicals I know they can be devistating on animals but they CAN deflect and hinder penetration. It may be very rare that mechanicals do this but I don't want to take any chances. Most Muzzy's and Thunderheads right out of the box will fly true, You may have to resight in with them though. With a little bit of time and tuning you can get either head to fly good. Some people look at this as an inconvience but shooting and learning your equipment I think will make you a better archer.

I definitely going to go buy some muzzys this weekend & try them out. They sound like a very good broadhead!

FYI. If you get the practice/target blade with your new muzzys I have noticed that they do not group with the actual broadheads for me. Actually field tips grouped closer to the actual broadheads(1" AT 20 YARDS) than the practice blades. Your results maybe different, but hopefully this info will save you some time.

Bob

I definitely going to go buy some muzzys this weekend & try them out. They sound like a very good broadhead!

FYI. If you get the practice/target blade with your new muzzys I have noticed that they do not group with the actual broadheads for me. Actually field tips grouped closer to the actual broadheads(1" AT 20 YARDS) than the practice blades. Your results maybe different, but hopefully this info will save you some time.

Bob

Thanks Bob I'll keep that in mind when I pratice.

I'll also say Muzzy. I shoot the 3 blade 100 grn. I like the way they interlock. The practice blades do fly differently for me than the regular blades as well.

I can't wait until the Magnus snuffers come out, the Magnus stingers are great. I also like the Wac'ems.

Check out 5 shot tests, unless you want to test every broadhead yourself.

http://www.broadheadtests.com/NEWHEADS.html

or

http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

Redman

I can't wait until the Magnus snuffers come out, the Magnus stingers are great. I also like the Wac'ems.

Check out 5 shot tests, unless you want to test every broadhead yourself.

http://www.broadheadtests.com/NEWHEADS.html

or

http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

Redman

Thanks Redman those links have very helpful info. ;)

Thanks Redman those links have very helpful info. :)

Your welcome I followed that link from another archery website a while ago and found it to be useful. I know many experienced archers have a lot of respect for 5 shot. At $10-$12 a head, I need all the help I can get picking out the best head.

Redman

Ive killed a couple of critters with the Rocket ultimate steels. Theyre tiny but they work well. It went right through my first archery deer. (archery page 6?). I missed a giant pronghorn a couple a years ago and dead centered a rock right behind him lost only one blade and the ferrule remained straight.