Lance

What is your Coues deer set up?

Lance,

I had the chance to look through a friend's Cabelas 20x on his sheep hunt several years ago. Also a pair of Pentax porro prism 16x. I was not impressed with either I did not like the resolution to distinguish detail. Maybe the coatings or lenses have improved since. I'd wait for Cabelas to open, or visit Sportsmans Warehouse, or Outdoorsmans on Cave Creek Rd. The 30x Doctors that Scott Adams has are nice.

Doug~RR

I have the Cabelas 20 x 80s as well and as far as clarity I would say that they are an 8 on a 1-10 scale. The biggest problem with clarity that I have found is that they have to be adjusted perfectly for your eyes or the clarity heads south very fast. Even a slight adjustment changes the clarity a bunch. When I look through my brother's Swaro 15's it seems like they are always in focus regardless of how they are adjusted (they amaze me everytime I look through them). Now that I have had the 20s for a couple years that focus is very easy for me to find and they work great and the high power is very nice.

The main con about these binos is that they are big, heavy monsters. I actually had to buy a bigger pack because they literally didn't fit in my old one. I also had to buy a bogen tripod because the weight of the binos snapped my cheap wal-mart tripod in half.

My recommendation is that if your budget is under $500 and you have a good tripod and are willing to carry the extra weight then they are hard to beat but other than price, Swaros or Leicas can't be beat period!

For rifle its a Rem 700XCR in .300WSM shooting 165gr Nosler Partition and topped with a VXII 4-12x40AO, Docter 15x60's for the glasses. Just got into the Coues scene and havent invested in a quality pack as of yet nor have i invested in a good tripod as i am having trouble finding a tripod adapter for my Docters.

Archery is an 05 PSE Vengeance with a Whisker Biscuit DT QS rest, PSE F-22 sights, Lore stabilizer, PSE Radial X-Weave 29" tipped with Muzzy 100gr 3 Blade broadheads and the same glasses as the rifle set-up.

Thanks for the info guys.

I forgot about the cabelas store. That will be a fun place to take the family on summer vacation! (all summer ;) ) However, I do try to buy my expensive stuff from Sprague's Sports in Yuma. www.spragues.com ,Richard is "good people".

I have two rifle that I have taken coues deer and antelope with. I have a Remington model 700 .243 win with Nikon 3-9x40 and a Winchester model 70 7mmWSM with a Burris 3-9x40. I have Swarovski 10x42 binoculars.

Guest Ernesto C

The good news is that the set up I use is the best rifle money can buy with the best scope money can buy with 15 X's Swabernoskys,with Zeiss most powerfull spotting scope and the most expensive back pack money can buy;the bad news is that that set up is not mine.....it belongs to great hunter "coueselk" ;)

Danny where ever you are my friend God bless you.

Ok, what I use is: Remington 700 30-06 with Redfield scope 3X9X40 with 150gr of Federal Hi-Shock or Power Shock soft point bullet,zero it at 250 yards and also has a Harris "swivel" bipod for when shooting un-even surfaces and you can shoot in prone,siting or in kneeling position ( I really recomend this type of bipod)

Docters 15X60's on a Slik 8800 bypod with the "crank handle" to move binos up and/or down really easy and also a dark colored towel to block the sun light.

Of course none of this will work if I dont say my prayers..............................so far I'm being blessed by the Lord. Thank you.

Ernesto C

Aim for the vitals

I have one rifle that I use for everything it's a custom built 300 RUM on a remington action. Topped off with a 6.5x20x50 leupold scope. I shoot hand loaded 165 nosler BT. I have used a bull pack for the last 7 years no need to try anything else. I pack 10x42 swaro on my neck and carry 15x56 in my pack along with a 20x60x65 swaro spotting scope. They mount up a great on carbon one tripod with a Jim White head. I usally pack a video camera also. I use one of those stadium type chair's for glassing that I found at the warehouse along with all the other stuff a guy needs on a hunt.

here is my coues set up(s)

Top: remington model 700 7mm mag Zeiss conquest 3-9x50. this gun is a new edition but showed promise when testing hand loads. i have i think 7 or 8 groups of 120 TSX loaded up to test. the gun now wears a different stock, i have a classic BDL stock on it with the ebony for end tip.

bottom. custom 270wsm leupold 4.5-14x40 LR varmint reticle. built on mauser 98 action, richards mocrofit thumbwhole stock. shoots 140 accubonds at 3250 in little wholes!

post-162-1146972865.jpg

well if i could ever get a coues tag my set up will be my weatherby mark v accumark 30-378 topped with a 4.5-14 x 50 zeiss with target turrets,,,and as soon as i get my load just right i will get a kenton industries bullet drop compensator,,,my last load was 102gr r22 pushing a 180gr barnes xlc at 3480 fps,,, my new load so far is 120 gr 50bmg pushing the xlc but i may switch to the accubond, i dont have this load cronoed yet but its should be quick ,and it makes big holes.,,,,,cbryant

post-491-1147014018.jpgpost-491-1147014034.jpg

I'm a working stiff with 4 kids and a mortgage. Puts me in the same boat as many others on here, with one main rifle for every game species.

Ruger M77, .280 Rem topped with 2-7X Burris Fullfield scope. 10x50 Nikkon Bino's and an old Stitz tripod.

I shoot 140 Gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips for Deer and smaller game.

I Borrowed some other optics etc, but the 20x80 Pentax bino's never seemed quite right, and I spent more time trying to keep them in focus than actually looking for animals. I'd love to do a hunt with Swaro's, Lieca's or Stieners, but so far it hasn't happened.

I've only had 2 coues tags and filled one.

Bret C

Binos: Leica 12X50 BAs, Bogen tripod with ball head.

Rifle: Remington 700 .300 win Mag: 24" shilen barrel, Mcmillan stock, and Timney trigger

Harris bipod, Leupold VX III 4.5-14 LR(B&C Reticle)

Back: Crooked Horn

Frame: Dana design

Other stuff: Leica 1200 rangefinder, Garmin Etrex (I get lost, sometimes), Knives of Alaska bear cub, leatherman, and Buck 110, and one of those cushy-seats that they sell at Mall-Wart for 5 bucks.

So far, this set-up has worked well for me...............

well for the times i do get drawn im setting up my new rifle a rem 700 sps 300 ultra, i put in a timney trigger and its at the gunsmith getting a vanhorn muzzlebrake, soon to have a swarovski 6-18x50 tds-4 (i still have to save a little more)i have 180 accubonds waiting on the bench. for glasses i usually get to use my dad's leica geovids (i love em) and swaro 15x56 on a manfrotto tripod. All it in the badlands 2200,But i'm gettin really good at runnin off the coues w/ my mathews switchback w/ easton axis and G5 montecs.

NICE scope young buck! The extra power realy helps.