Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

AZGFD leaving fishermen in the dark

we are in the dark at the fool hollow lake public boat ramp and have been for 3 years. the AZGFD installed solar powered light system failed during winter '09/'10 and is still out of order as of this @#%T#$&% week. and still they are offering grant money for new projects while we remain in the dark. are these guys just out to lunch all the time?

lee

http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/Arizona-Game-and-Fish-offers-grant-money-to-improve-public-boating-facilities.shtml

• Like 1

Biglakejake, throw in some three toed salamanders, or purple spotted frogs and they grant money will be flowing your way... B)

Lee:

Lights? If you want to talk about unsolved problems in the White Mountains, just stop by any of the three Greer Lakes after the downstream users pull out their water this summer and try launching your boat off ramps that don't reach the water.

It shouldn't be that expensive to extend those ramps when lake levels are so low, and it's not something that can't be predicted, but what do I know?

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

STILL dark. over 4 years now. park director is just asleep at the wheel. for a good laugh call fool hollow state park office at 928 537 3680 and ask why its still out. i can guarantee some hilarious responses like not wanting to interfere with the activities of nocturnal animals on a boat ramp.....................

lee

we are in the dark at the fool hollow lake public boat ramp and have been for 3 years. the AZGFD installed solar powered light system failed during winter ...

Fool Hollow is a state park -- i.e. run by the state parks department. I would guess that agency installed the lighting system, no?

EDIT: Whoops, just saw your second message about the park director.

I went there over the 4th and believe it was still dark?? dlont know i always have headlamp on.. i remember seeing the solar panels but no light.

As for ramps.. yes many ramps are jacked from low water and pier you tie to are basically useless. black canyon lake ramp was ridiculous almost ate my trailer!

I can actually relate to BLJ's complaint. While Fool's Hollow is just a few miles from home, and I've lived here pretty much my whole life and never fished it once, the management of this lake is ... well ... weird. They stock the heck out of it but they charge you just to access it. Compared to other lakes in the area - Show Low Lake, Rainbow, Scott's Reservoir - Fool's Hollow is the only "Pay to Access" lake up here, and while it has a lot of great opportunities, they don't take that money and make it better or more accessible.

While I recognize that it became a party and make-out location for locals, prompting the paid access, they have done very little to reinvest the funds generated by access to those willing to pay to actually improve the campgrounds, the boat launching or even clean up.

If they're going to just let it be, as they are, they should just open it back to the public, who fund it in the first place. If they continue to charge just to access it, they need to make it better and cleaner than other local lakes.

• Like 1

Did anyone happen to catch the article in wildlife views about the illegal stocking of lakes and see the picture of the 26lb pike they netted of fools hollow??? i do not have a side to this since i have only been there 1x and i am not a local but i can say out of 2 days of fishing i caught nothing not even a bite and only saw 1 smallmouth taken.. i would go again cuz it was nice and you can swim if ya want..

I stayed in campground and that was first for me ever and possibly things have changed cuz honestly i thought it was really nice! flush toilets and even have showers. i was in Osprey. i thought the fact that i could not exit after 10pm without some secret spy passcode was odd but now hearing about the partying factor that Coach mentioned i get it. i actually about had a meltdown with guy at gate cuz of the code and the fact that they speak to everyone as if i,we, have done this before. grrrrrr! hey when i say this is 1st time ive been here or stayed in a dang campground treat me like i ride the short bus dont talk like i work there!!

BUT AGAIN OVERALL DAUGHTER AND I REALLY ENJOYED THE EXPERIENCE! I just dont think fish actually inhabit the lake. ;)