Sign in to follow this  
FOGGER

Looking for a new Muzzleloader

In the market for a new muzzle loader. Looking for a good one, but dont have much experiance with them..Any suggestions to what has worked for you guys? or what you didnt like in terms of rifle makers and styles? Thanks

In the market for a new muzzle loader. Looking for a good one, but dont have much experiance with them..Any suggestions to what has worked for you guys? or what you didnt like in terms of rifle makers and styles? Thanks

In-Line, Thompson Center are hard to beat.

I have the Omega and its very easy to care for and clean. Never have had any problems. Loading the primers in a rush can be difficult, but have gotten off three shots before.

A buddy has the Encore, after watching him shoot and reload. If you can afford it, get the Encore.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to use Blackhorn 209. It makes cleaning the gun so much easier. http://www.blackhorn209.com/

Another buddy does not have an in-line (think its a Remington) that thing is a pain the butt to clean....

good luck

I have a T/C Triumph-Bone Collector. It is a great weapon. I particularly like the synthetic stock and the metal finish on this gun. No rust. I am not real happy with the trigger and it is not an easy fix. It has improved some with use but it is not as light as I would like it to be. I have learned to live with it.

I have had no problems with quick reloads. I admit it helps to practice the primer change a bunch before each hunt. If you don't..... all 5 thumbs will come to help you. Accuracy in my rifle is very good to 200 yards. Again practice is the key.

I also recommend Blackhorn 209. It burns clean, produces consistent bullet speeds and you can use any solvent like Hoppes or Shooters Choice to clean the barrel. A wet patch, a few brush strokes, another wet patch and a couple of dry patches and you are finished.

T/C builds reliable weapons

Hope this helps you.

I second the bone collector and blackhorn 209 powder. Stay away from 'muzzle loader' 209 primers and get plain shot shell 209 primers. I had the best luck with the 290 grain barnes projectiles. Am getting top velocities with sub MOA accuracy to 200 yards. 1.5 MOA accuracy at 300 yards.

Remember, muzzle loader charges are measured in 'volumetric' grains and NOT weighed grains. Volumetric is 70% of weighed charges.

Keep us posted.

Thanks Guys I got a 22S muzzleloader tag this year and was planning all along to use my bow but I thought trying out a muzzleloader would be fun..Think I am going to try the bone collector or the omega..Hows the recoil in those two? would my wife be able to shoot it ever if she draws a tag? Thanks for the help so far.

Thanks Guys I got a 22S muzzleloader tag this year and was planning all along to use my bow but I thought trying out a muzzleloader would be fun..Think I am going to try the bone collector or the omega..Hows the recoil in those two? would my wife be able to shoot it ever if she draws a tag? Thanks for the help so far.

You can adjust bullet weights and loads to accommodate your wife. I suggest that you don't go below 100 grains equivalent charge with the Blackhorn 209. I shoot 120 grain equivalent loads with a 300 grain bullet. Off the bench this load kicks like a Missouri mule but I never feel it when shooting in the field. I use the Caldwell Lead Sled when I'm doing a lot of load testing. It is just more comfortable. Try to shoot both weapons before you purchase. I live in Fountain Hills. If you want to connect I can meet you at Usery Mountain Range someday and you are welcome to shoot my Bonecollector. Just send me a PM.

side lock are what muzzleloader should be a inline is a high power single shot rifle go with a tc renegade in .54 great rifle . :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Traditionally speaking, Curtis is correct. For a purist, inlines are cheating. I see that.

That said I have a Bone Collector and it is awesome. Kick is relative ... but I liken it with 100 grains of Triple 7 and 250s to a 30-30. Then again, I am not overly recoil sensitive.

side lock are what muzzleloader should be a inline is a high power single shot rifle go with a tc renegade in .54 great rifle . :rolleyes:

I use what the law allows. If you are a true purist, a .54 Renegade is too easy, you should use a compound bow... but if you are a true purist you shouldn't use a compound you should use a recurve.... but wait, if you are a true purist, you should use a spear, or rather, just your fists.....

Anyhow, I use the most lethal weapon the law will allow me, I apply for muzzy tags all the time and hunt with them annually because draw odds/season dates etc are better. You can't go wrong with a T/C. I would STRONGLY recommend going with an encore as the accuracy is better then the Omega, not sure why but I haven't heard of an Encore that won't shoo the lights out. They used to b considerably more expensive then the omegas, but the encore FX is the same gun just not compatible with centerfire barrels, and sells for $499 at sportsmans. Best buy for sure. I second (or third or fourth) the Blackhorn 209. Good luck and have fun!

I use what the law allows. If you are a true purist, a .54 Renegade is too easy, you should use a compound bow... but if you are a true purist you shouldn't use a compound you should use a recurve.... but wait, if you are a true purist, you should use a spear, or rather, just your fists.....

How true is that??? The real purist is the guy who jumps his prey at a waterhole and drowns it!!!! Count me out on that one ... don't want my butt kicked by a cottontail rabbit :D :D :D