tkknc

Backpack recomendations

Since I'm crazy from being hit in the head with a pack all these years ;) , I'll throw out another option:

the Mystery Ranch Nice frame with bag and load carrier.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/catalog/index....&products_id=21

I'll be up in Kodiak this fall hunting Sitkas and will need to carry out the whole tamale with the hunting gear in one trip. I am considering this setup or the Kifaru. Wait... I do remember Casey saying something about volunteering to be a sherpa :)

Doug~RR

Doug,

you would probably end up carrying more food just to keep that kid fed than carrying your own gear ;)

I bought a Eberelstock last year and had the opportunity to use it to pack out my Coues buck, rifle, and all of my other gear in it, all in one load. My pack weighed 43lbs before I stuffed the buck in it and all I did was gut it and chop the legs off at the knee. The load stayed real steady for my 1 1/2 mile hike back to the truck so needless to say I am very pleased with the pack............................in September I'll let you know how it does on elk quarters and a whole Antelope :)

I did look at the badlands 2800 real hard before I bought the Eberelstock J1 and from what I could tell it seemed to be a good solid pack but you never know until you load it up and put in some miles, I liked the scabbard on the J1 so that was the final selling point for me since I hunt alone allot.

;) Badlands, badlands, badlands...

HA! Just scored the RT Stealth Badlands RT (roll top) day pack on ebay for 66.00...- Retails @ $115.00

Whichever one you get shop it around... I've seen Kirafu and Badlands less than ANY archery shop on good old ebay..Used can be very good opportunity to buy at a monster savings.

For Winter Hunting nothing beats my Mountainsmith Pulk SLED!

Doug

AzP&Y

post-898-1149345416.jpg

Three of us own Bull pacs. They were developed in Idaho for packing out Elk quarters. I have packed out several Coues bucks whole by folding them in half and lashing them to the frame. We have also packed many an elk quarter over lot's of miles with these packs. They have a built in shelf that stabilizes the load and keeps it from slipping down wich makes it real easy to lash on quarters or a whole whitetail. By far and above the most compfortable pack I have ever had on for carrying a heavy load. I also have a badlands 2200 that I carry lashed to the bull pac frame wich go's on someone elses back if the bull pac frame comes into play.

Bull pacs are the best I have ever owned.

I loved my Bull pack. To bad someone else liked it just as much. If you remember me talking about it walking away from my truck last year.

Those of you that know me know that I'm a big Kifaru fan. I can't speak from experience on the Eberlelstock or Badlands and they may be very good packs.

That pack goes with me everytime I go out. I purchased the 9th Longhunter ever built back in 1996 and actually wore it out, it took me 9 years to do it but I did it, Kifaru replaced the entire pack last year!

I've packed a lot of game out with my Kifaru over the past 10 years. Ive packed out bear, javelina, mule deer and of course Coues deer. The pack is very comfortable. I would however, pay close attention to Deerslam and Coueshunter's post as they have had the opportunity to use all of the "Big Three", Kifaru, Eberlestock and Badlands and prefer the Eberlestock. I may try one of those out myself as I have 2 teenage son's that will be needing fullsize packs pretty soon.

Scott

Those of you that have seen these photos before, bear with me.

These first 2 photos are Coues deer that were only field dressed.

Scottswhitetail4sml.jpg

Thepackout.jpg

BCBackpack.jpg

I have the bullpac too. 2 years ago my coues had to come uphill in 2 pieces. Last years mulie came downhill in one. I see on their website that they have a new rifle mount. That was my only complaint before, now I have none. Best frame pack I have ever used. My friend was looking for one last year for a deer hunt and I told him about the bullpac. Instead he bought some weenie one that broke on his pack out. Live and learn. Good luck this year.

The one i had stolen from my truck is painted on the back side on the under side of the pack. So if any one sees it WIth TJG in red paint thump the guy over the head and deliver him here so i can go John Wayne on him. I will give you the pack as a reward. :blink:

Scott,

I prefer the Eberlestock for day hunts or short warmer weather hunts. For week long or longer backpack hunts, especially when it is cooler and I need more clothes, the Kifaru Longhunter is hard to beat. I have heard good things about the Mystery Ranch packs but I have no need for one.

OK it's settled there are several great packs out there. I think the best one is whatever your sherpa is using, I don't care what pack he's using as long as he gets the job done. I think Casey is the resident sherpa here, I wonder what he uses?

OK it's settled there are several great packs out there. I think the best one is whatever your sherpa is using, I don't care what pack he's using as long as he gets the job done. I think Casey is the resident sherpa here, I wonder what he uses?

I think he just uses his shoulders and rope and duck tape...He can prolly carry out two elk alone with just the tape :blink: