Sign in to follow this  
desertbowhunter

Is this a good rifle?

Hey guys I was just wondering if you guys knew anything about the Savage longrange hunter. I was thinking of buying one in 7mm it would be for an occasional coues and bear hunt. I mostly archery hunt and haven't actually rifle deer hunted since 2006. So my question is would this be my best option or is there something better for say under $1500? That's scope and rifle combined just to be clear.

Maybe something in the 4-16 x50 type stuff. Like maybe vortex or zeiss. Suggestions would be helpful I'm not really much of a rifle guy I'm pretty much all archery these days.

Good choice, I think the 7mm is a great round! You will not go wrong with that caliber at all.

Should look at the vortex viper scopes, they are nice.

Good choice, I think the 7mm is a great round! You will not go wrong with that caliber at all.

What about the savage long range hunter is there a better choice of rifle for the money?

1334633819[/url]' post='305798']

On posts like these I sure miss Lark!

What about the savage long range hunter is there a better choice of rifle for the money?

Considering what you are getting for the money, the LRH is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. You will not be disappointed especially in 7mm mag. If I was going to buy a new rifle right now that is EXACTLY what I would be getting, the Savage LRH in 7mm mag or 6.5x284.

-Tracy

If you do decide to go with the LRH then check out Budsguns.com. With no tax and free shipping you really cant beat their prices even after paying a FFL fee.

-Tracy

For the money I think it's a good choice IMO

Thank you guys for the quick responses. You guys are making me excited to go and buy the long range hunter. I haven't bought a new rifle in a very long time. Now what scope would you guys suggest vortex viper or zeiss conquest?

I bought a remington 700 sps varmint in a .308 (i believe they make it in 7mm also) paid $450. I put a leupold vx3 8.5x20x50mm on it for just under $1500. I shoot 1 inch groups at 300 yards with it straight out of the box. Its a great gun for the price you should check it out. From what i hear those savage rifles are very nice too just thought i would give you some more options.

I bought a remington 700 sps varmint in a .308 (i believe they make it in 7mm also) paid $450. I put a leupold vx3 8.5x20x50mm on it for just under $1500. I shoot 1 inch groups at 300 yards with it straight out of the box. Its a great gun for the price you should check it out. From what i hear those savage rifles are very nice too just thought i would give you some more options.

I will defiantly look into it thanx!

If I were to buy a new rifle it would be the LRH as well... I shoot a vortex viper.and it is an awesome scope. Make sure if you are trying to get into long range hunting you factor in reloading. It will be cheaper in the end anyways, plus you get way better accuracy and consistency. The Savage is the way to go IMO because it has the accu-trigger and accu-stock. If you plan on getting some gunsmithing done rem 700's have way more options. Its a Chevy vs ford kinda thing. I know people that have great success with both

I would also consider getting custom turrets for your scope. I took mine to a gun smith he shot it through a chronograph. Averaged my muzzel speed and made me a custom turret so i can shoot exact distance up to 1000 yards. They are awesome takes out all the guess work. It cost me $175 for mine. Also certain scope manufacturers offer deals when you by the scope they will build you custom turrets for free you just have to send them back in with your specs. (I know leupold does anyway). Good luck ill post some pictures of mine later if i get some time.