Sign in to follow this  
AZHUNTER05

5b North early archery

I drew a 5b north early archery tag this year and know nothing about the unit. It was my second choice and i didn't expect to get a tag this year with only 2 bonus points. Just curious how good the unit it is and if anyone might know a good place to start scouting? Any information would be appreciated thx.

It sure seems that applying for units where there is little, if any, knowledge about them is fairly common these days. Although I'll never understand why people do that, I assure you that the Game and Fish offer some great insight on their website about 5b North. You should also contact the the unit WM and you'll have more info than you can handle. Good luck!!

I put in for units I don't know quite a lot, gives me an excuse to buy a few maps and go exploring. Putter around in a few different areas, walk around a little, and you will get a good handle on the country and a few different spots to hunt.

It is a good unit and the time of year will be better than the past three years--you will have a good hunt. Like slim said take a hike and check it out. Just as a reminder--the travel management rule has taken over so make sure you get a new map with the road closures on it.

I agree with azslim. This was my first year puttin in for a unit I have spent a few hours in so know little about it. The unit I normally put in for seems to be getting worst every year. My first choice was a 22 south hunt and second choice 5a. I drew September 5a archery. The whole reason for putting in for those units was hopefully get drawn and check out a new unit.

Well i didn't think i was going to get drawn this year so i just put in for hunts some what close to my house. (My first choice was 5bs) Anyway thanks for the info guys. I have already checked out the g&f website and read up on it a little. I was just curious if it was a good unit or not.

A buddy's dad took a nice 337 bull on that hunt in 2010. I would happy to draw that tag. If its close by sounds like you will be able to put in some scouting time.

I drew a 5b north early archery tag this year and know nothing about the unit. It was my second choice and i didn't expect to get a tag this year with only 2 bonus points. Just curious how good the unit it is and if anyone might know a good place to start scouting? Any information would be appreciated thx.

I have hunted that hunt many times. I have learned that what the Elk did in the past was no indication of what they do this year. As usual getting away from the crowd is key.

Good time of year. lots of critters in those woods. Great year to get lucky and get that tag. I know a guy who has 8 points and did not draw that tag! Count your blessings and have fun

try to pay more attention to the transition areas.... pines/cedar. it'll be hot so the pines provide great shade if they are not talking much. doesn't mean they won't be in the cedars but start scouting from the pines and go from there.

James

Theres some nice bulls there. I drew that unit in 2009. I didn't know the unit either but i went up drove roads and started scouting and i ended up taking a 331 bull on the 8th day. Thats when bulls started talking that year. Pressure is hit or miss like anywhere.I wouldnt worry about comments like i don't know why people put in for units they've never been in. I've never been to wyoming so maybe i shouldnt ever hunt there.Those kind of comments are ridiculous. Start with a forest service map. it's a nice detailed map and will get you started. Also go to azgfd hunt unit reports and read their info as well.

• Like 1

Theres some nice bulls there. I drew that unit in 2009. I didn't know the unit either but i went up drove roads and started scouting and i ended up taking a 331 bull on the 8th day. Thats when bulls started talking that year. Pressure is hit or miss like anywhere.I wouldnt worry about comments like i don't know why people put in for units they've never been in. I've never been to wyoming so maybe i shouldnt ever hunt there.Those kind of comments are ridiculous. Start with a forest service map. it's a nice detailed map and will get you started. Also go to azgfd hunt unit reports and read their info as well.

Thanks i appreciate the info! Gets me excited to hear people have hunted the unit and have had success.

Great hunt, lots of bulls, be carfull of calling in high preasure areas, most of the time the elk will bolt. Get off the roads and I think the worst thing right now in that unit is the wood cutters. We hunted there last year and they were every place and just driving cross country miles from a road. Good luck