naturegirl

thoughts on new coconino road rules

feed_trolls.gif

Back on topic. I have yet to get my copy of the map. Can someone scan their copy and upload it for the site? From what I'm hearing, they closed quite a few maintained roads (bar ditches)and not just forest trails. Where I want to hunt this fall, I have to walk in, no way around it (legally) but the roads that get you near there may be gone now, and that leave a four or five mile one way trip JUST to get to the area and then further to get in.

Of course, just call in the SAR team after you get your bull down and they will make any and all new roads for you to get out in.

• Like 1

Honestly if they dont post the roads as closed, I see no way they can enforce these rules. They will have more court cases than they can handle. This is going to be a nightmare for campers and forest service alike. Try telling a guy who has camped in a certain spot with his family over the years, maybe decades, he cant be there anymore. Its not going to be good. Not well thought out at all imo.

I dunno I can see a judge being a sticker and blaming the users for not knowing the rules. I personally do NOT want to drive from Chandler to Flag to take care of a fine and court date then have to deal with the headaches from my work over it also. Kind of like when you go in to fight a radar ticket and its just a revolving door of "guilty or not" and then a verdict.

Honestly if they dont post the roads as closed, I see no way they can enforce these rules. They will have more court cases than they can handle. This is going to be a nightmare for campers and forest service alike. Try telling a guy who has camped in a certain spot with his family over the years, maybe decades, he cant be there anymore. Its not going to be good. Not well thought out at all imo.

By making the statement in the rule that "All roads are closed unless posted open", that's how. Like it or not, that's what they are doing.

Here is my opinion on this, in some ways it will be good for walking in and getting away from people, but its going to hamper the older/disabled population. I just hope they are going to be able to enforce these laws and not abuse them themselves. I see on the map that my favorite elk camp road is closed, but I will be more than happy to walk in, but will there be people driving past me. I guess we will see as it goes. Daniel

As fare as this firewood crap, I know a lot of people who need firewood to last the winter. They are getting wood for there familys to stay warm. You see these guys out in the woods with a crew of friends and family members getting it done, what pisses me off is when you are hiking 2+ miles from the road and a guy drives up turns his music on and starts cutting a random tree miles from the road when he could of cut one a few hundred yards from the road?

As fare as getting off the roads and hiking, I am all for it, and that is how I hunt, but the issue with this road closer is that I will follow the rules and hike in, but then there will be some dumb butt that will just drive the closed road and mess you up. They dont have the ability to enforce this, a lot of guys will not follow the rules and just chance that the one or two guys in the unit are not going to get them, some will get a ticket but lots will go free. And I think them not posting road closed is a good idea, I think they should go take down all the signs with road numbers that are being closed. That way you will know if you can drive on a road, does it have a number? If they go out and post road closed signs people will just take them out and if stopped just say there was no sign and will be able to fight the ticket. Personaly, I think it will help with hunting water (I cant hunt water holes, cant sit still that long), but now you will be able to sit a water hole without having guys drive by every few minutes as there are a lot of tanks that will only be accessed by walking in with these new rules.

To me of all these closures and restrictions are a just a small part of a bigger picture.

These are OUR lands not the Forest Services. We have given them PERMISSION to manage them for us. But due to their hands off extreme envirmentalist policies, they have quit managing them and instead have let them fall into disrepair and are now blaming us for the condition of the lands. They'll just keep pushing us out a little at a time time till were gone.

i just want to see how this is going to be handled this year? this is going to be a fun year in the woods!

I agre with you effenjeff. They will take the roads away little by little, and then we will be pushed out of the woods.

you'll need to buy your way back in!

a fee for limited use!

james

Back on topic. I have yet to get my copy of the map. Can someone scan their copy and upload it for the site? Fr

You can call, or download the maps.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5356224

Thanks Red, after I posted that I found a link in another thread and printed them out. I wasn't paying attention and printed a seven page wide by five page tall map! You can REALLY see everything on it! Hahaha

hubby just got off phone with coconino. BS. BS. BS. said they only closed 15% of the roads. im going to wait to get paper map but the online map has WAYYY more closures where I hunt.

also said she is sending us a phone number where we can call to request roads be reopened. I will post this number as soon as I receive it. if we all are vocal maybe they will listen. she said they want input and feedback. write down road numbers and reason why it should be reopened and call them.

this doesn't sound like a closed door yet. she also said it will be warnings unless its something blatant like the person is holding a closure map.

Back on topic. I have yet to get my copy of the map. Can someone scan their copy and upload it for the site? Fr

You can call, or download the maps.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5356224

I just reviewed the maps again, and am having a hard time finding anywhere on coconino, that you can't drive within a couple of miles of, that's not a wilderness area. There's still a ton of roads criss crossing everywhere, just not seeing why you guys are getting so bent out of shape.dobie07-albums-09-bull-picture1548-pic28617.gif

I

I would really hope the law out there will be fair. I know I'd be. Get caught on numerous closed roads, man, you're asking for it.

On a brighter note. These new closed roads may end up being a pretty good spot to sit in a couple years. One of my favorite spots in 5B North, was a closed off road that the elk just loved to walk along! 'Course my cams still caught jerks on ATVs driving the roads.