Sign in to follow this  
LifeFeedsOnLife

Rocky Point

I havent had much luck but i saw some guys last year that were at sandy beach wading out and fishing with dead squid. they were killin it. i havent been back to try it yet

I've had some luck on the beach along Las Conchas throwing Kastmasters. Last time I went it was awesome until I stepped on that darn Stingray. :blink: Sucker got me good! :angry:

Good luck and have fun!

S.

PS: Depending on how much time you have, you might consider paying one of the panga-boat guys to take you out for a bit?

I've had some luck on the beach along Las Conchas throwing Kastmasters. Last time I went it was awesome until I stepped on that darn Stingray. :blink: Sucker got me good! :angry:

Good luck and have fun!

S.

PS: Depending on how much time you have, you might consider paying one of the panga-boat guys to take you out for a bit?

Do you how much for the pang fishing?

We went down for a wedding last year and we rented a big boat (tour type not professional fisher) and we had a great time. We were about 18 total and paid $30 each and we caught two and a half five gallon buckets in a few hours. Best part was the last few hours they took us to a small cove where the water was completely glass smooth and as clear as a back yard pool. They cooked up the fish and prepared a awesome meal while we played. We had a great time and they were professional and kid friendly!

Best part: not a single person/kid vomited.

Worst part: I did not take nearly enough beer!

:ph34r:

When fishing off the sandy beaches using squid, I usually only caught rays. However, if you use a heavily weighted bobber (big balsa or styrofoam with weights at the bottom) and a steel leader with a surf rod, you can cast squid right off Rocky Point into the breakers between the rocks and catch a lot of trigger fish and some others. It's hard, and you will hang up in the rocks from time-to-time, but it can be very productive and triggers are darn good eating.

If you really want to have some fun at Rocky Point and have a great fish fry at the end of the day, you might look into a Hawaiian Sling, a good mask and snorkel and quality fins. Snorkel out into the big rocks off the point and learn how to lead those big triggers with the sling. It's like bowhunting ocean fish. It took me a couple hours to learn how to hit them, but once you get the hang of it, it's pure exitement. One thing...wear a light shirt. My back got so sunburned doing this, because it's still out of the water most of the time, I was sun-sick all night - I'm sure it had nothing to do with all the imbibement going on during and after the fish fry. ;) Point being, you will get burned to a crisp if you snorkel and spear-fish shirtless for several hours without a shirt.

I haven't tried the kastmasters, but have heard the same thing as others here have posted - they are apparently very productive for flounder.

We fish the beaches of Cholla Bay quite a bit and the kids always have a blast. I believe the tide there moves more in 1 day than anywhere else in the world so depending on when you fish you can pick your reefs or sandy banks throughout the day. We will throw squid when we just want to sit and relax and catch tigers, trigger and occasionally a puffer (that can be an interesting site getting them off the hook!). We learned quickly to use a 12-18 inch steel leader as the triggers have a nasty set of teeth and will easily bite through when using bait. I prefer to throw 4 to 6 inch crank baits (shallow divers only), usually in a silver/blue or silver/orange which usually provides a better assortment of fish.

Just keep your hands away from the mouth of the trigger fish...my daughter found out the hard way when she was about 5. They'll latch on and not let go.

Good luck and have fun!

S.

Do you how much for the pang fishing?

Not sure how much it would cost now..... Three years ago, a buddy and I paid $150 (total.... between two of us) for 4-5 hours out on the boat. We found the boat by questioning one of the 'bannana boat' towing pangas one afternoon. He was taking the kids for a tow off the beach and I chatted with him about fishing. He only wanted to tow kids around, but had a buddy who owned a panga. (Disclaimer: Not bonded/insured! Hire at your own risk! ;) )

He sent his buddy around and we arranged a deal. The guy took us out to some rocky areas a bit off shore, and we had lots of fun on Covina and Trigger Fish. As from the beach, we used nice heavy Kastmasters as opposed to live bait. We just wanted to have some fun with our spinning reels, and we definitely got it! ;)

S.

:)

What about a fishing license? How much? When fishing out of San Deigo on 3/4 or full day fishing in Mexico, I pay $15 for a one day Mexican fish license when it is not included in the price.

Cool well i'll have to get a few lures. I've got a hawaiian sling that i like to chase carp around with at the salt river so i'll bring it. Seems like there should be enough fishing to keep me busy

A Mexican fishing whaa?

Some of the most incredible action i have seen down penasco way was with a zara spook-with no hooks. out on the rocks between pelican pt and sandy beach at first light. throw out as far as you can and reel/sweep it back as fast as you can-faster the better. sometimes a dozen fish chasing and jumping over and around it. mostly mexican pompano and small corvina but i caught a 12lb pargo on a pop-r with hooks at sandy beach once.

lee

post-253-0-96578100-1335489117_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-65143800-1335489137_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-09983100-1335489157_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-96079400-1335489172_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-43181000-1335489184_thumb.jpg

Fishing with Zara Spooks with no hooks. You see that's just next level stuff. Immediate catch and release. I'm impressed. We used to charter boats with mixed results. We never bothered with fishing licenses but we were young and dumb. We are no longer young. Good luck and let us know how you do!