Sign in to follow this  
Little Creek Calls

Unit 1 Youth Hunt

I had the opportunity to take my wife’s little brother on his youth turkey hunt on Thursday. Took him to one of my favorite spots in unit 1 and was able to call in a flock of around 15 turkeys with one strutting tom. He made the perfect shot on the bird at about 10 yards at 6:30 AM. He had a 10” beard and 1” spurs and weighed 20 lbs. He was super excited and I was glad to be a part of his short but successful hunt. After the hunt he said he didn’t want to shoot him to fast because he was enjoying watching him strut at such close range. It was his second bird and the fan will look good on his bedroom wall next to last year’s bird. I will be making him a wing bone call using bones from his turkey’s wing.

J122.jpg

Wow, great bird! Congrats to the young hunter, and good job calling! Not to change the subject, but how do you make a call out of the wing bone? I've heard of that before and would love to know how it's done.

You clean cut and boil the large bone from the wing to the shoulder and do the same with the two bones in next joint of the wing. After you get them cleaned and cut you sand where they fit together to get a nice fit. Then you glue them and I like to wrap and finish them like a fly rod. Here is a picture of one someone else made.

wbc1.jpg

wbc.jpg