Sign in to follow this  
ready2hunt

30-06 For Long Range?

Hey Everyone,

I am curious if anyone has experience with Long Range Shooting using a 30-06 (Long Range being 500+ for me). I am curious if my Remington 700 BDL 30-06 can make effective shots beyond the 500 yard mark and take game (Elk, Deer etc)? Some tell me yes with enough practice, others say no- not ethically unless it is on paper and other people say I need to change the rifle set up altogether if I want to take long distance shooting seriously.

I am no ballistics genius however the math sounds sane enough (and I do not have the funds to build a rifle). Can I get some constructive opinions? Currently I would not pull the trigger on an animal beyond 350-400 yards as I do not feel confident to make that shot yet. I am using 180 grain bullets right now (factory loaded- Remington and/or Winchester). I am looking to reload my own shortly. Any opinons would be welcome.

Hey Everyone,

I am curious if anyone has experience with Long Range Shooting using a 30-06 (Long Range being 500+ for me). I am curious if my Remington 700 BDL 30-06 can make effective shots beyond the 500 yard mark and take game (Elk, Deer etc)? Some tell me yes with enough practice, others say no- not ethically unless it is on paper and other people say I need to change the rifle set up altogether if I want to take long distance shooting seriously.

I am no ballistics genius however the math sounds sane enough (and I do not have the funds to build a rifle). Can I get some constructive opinions? Currently I would not pull the trigger on an animal beyond 350-400 yards as I do not feel confident to make that shot yet. I am using 180 grain bullets right now (factory loaded- Remington and/or Winchester). I am looking to reload my own shortly. Any opinons would be welcome.

I think you could use the 30.06 as a long ranger, but you would need a good scope with plenty of moa adjustment. Your going to have alot of drop with the bullet so you will need alot of travel for elevation. Handloads with good workup would help get you on target and stay accurate. You need to know your load better than your spouse. Velocity, is it consistent with each load you shoot? Conditions like wind, heat vs cold and altitude will change how this heavy round moves. People are correct when they say practice will do it. Military shooters practice practice practice. Only you can make the choice to shoot long range ethically or feel compentent to do so.

I have shot a 30-06 for many years. It is a good caliber. However, my personal best is deer at 425 yards, and thats about my max comfort range. If an animal is further away than that, I am going to get closer, or pass on the shot.

The 30-06 is capable of long range shooting. I would be skeptical of long range on elk. They are just too tough, and we owe it to the animal to make clean kill shots, and not throwing hail Mary shots in the hope we hit something.

Long range shooting requires alot of practice, and not just at paper.

The 30-06 is a capable gun. Military snipers have used the .308 caliber for years. But they don't need the down range energy, that you would on a tough animal

IMO- I would leave the 30-06 for shooting at 500 yards or less.

This first thing I would do is move to a 168 with a high bc, and start reloading. Maybe a TTSX or Accubond. I would do this to gain just a touch more speed, and it wouldn't be giving up a large margin in the BC. Then, get a good quality scope with turrets, learn to use them and get proficient with the gun, know your self imposed limit and get after it!

The answer is yes you can use it long range. I would feel comfortable at 600 with a 30-06. Definitely use a high BC bullet.

I am not expert, but with the right grain of bullet and MOA adjustment of scope (turrets of reticle) a .30-06 is more than capable of being a 500 yd gun...which is very far IMO

I'd say invest in a good scope now (I mean spend the big bucks on a good quality scope.....) as it can always be moved to another gun. Get some loads of a lighter grain of bullet and practice practice.

I am sure as you become more proficient, you will determine for yourself if you will need or want a "typical long range caliber gun'.

IMO there are three variables in long range shooting.

1. The Shooter

2. The equipment

3. The conditions

Start with number 1.

My first long range gun was a browning A bolt. The only work we did to the gun was a new timney trigger.We spent a lot of time working up the most accurate load.After that we did the most important thing and that was bought a good reliable scope. a zeiss conquest 6-20x 50 with qaulity mounts and we also did a kenton industries turret. ( the kenton turret is not necessary , in fact my new long range gun is moa turrets only and i use the app shooter instead) but whatever you do make sure you practice at those long distances a lot so you feel comfortable when you go to make that shot.

3 years ago my oldest son broke the rifle in on a large cow elk at 580 yards , one shot kill ,high shoulder shot , the elk dropped in her tracks, the 168 grain berger bullet never did exit , but did a great job. My brother was with us when he made the shot, he was amazed. Then 8 days later my same son shot his first coues buck at 550 yards , shot it a liitle low in the kill zone the kill zone but in drooped in its tracks, the exit hole was the size of your fist , so when we got up to the deer he finished him off with a shot to the head and messed up his jaw.

that following week my good buddy asked if he could use my 30-06 on his coues hunt , and of course I let him and he took a 96" buck kneeling down at 475 yards , 1 shot kill and his comment to me was amazed at the size of the exit wound.

Then later that year in November i shot my bull elk with that same gun at 375 yards and dropped in his tracks with a high shoulder shot(bullet did not exit)

So the answer is yes , 30-06 set up with a good scope and the right load is great. I had a bunch of so called experts tell me never attempt shooting an elk out past 400 yards. Don't listen to them.

the load that worked good in my gun is

168 grain berger bullets, 49.5 grains of varget powder,coal 3.400" (I have to hand feed because they are to long to fit in the magazine)

post-1975-0-66606600-1336424215_thumb.jpg

post-1975-0-86251300-1336424267_thumb.jpg

post-1975-0-86899800-1336424280_thumb.jpg

post-1975-0-48542700-1336424340_thumb.jpg

I have used a Winchester 70 in 30-06. I would go down to the rifle range and always shoot the ram silhouettes at 500 yrds off hand. With the right bullet, powder, brass, and primer you can get your riffle to accurately hit out past 500 yrds. If you hand load, you MUST measure every powder charge in every round.

This is GREAT advice everyone. Clearly the common theme (and I whole heartedly agree) is practice.

The scope I have right now is a Bushnell DOA 600. I would like to get a Nikon Monarch (opinons?).

Agian, this rifle is more for hunting than anything. I feel more comfortable with MOA vs Mil Dot etc. I am still so new to this that I am still trying comprehend the math.

I will be going out in a few weeks to set out some trail cams in 6A to get ready for Oct. hunt and will be sighting my rifle in then. Also bought a Hornady Lock N Load Reloader and hope to reload a few to shoot off that at that time.

My first long range gun was a browning A bolt. The only work we did to the gun was a new timney trigger.We spent a lot of time working up the most accurate load.After that we did the most important thing and that was bought a good reliable scope. a zeiss conquest 6-20x 50 with qaulity mounts and we also did a kenton industries turret. ( the kenton turret is not necessary , in fact my new long range gun is moa turrets only and i use the app shooter instead) but whatever you do make sure you practice at those long distances a lot so you feel comfortable when you go to make that shot.

3 years ago my oldest son broke the rifle in on a large cow elk at 580 yards , one shot kill ,high shoulder shot , the elk dropped in her tracks, the 168 grain berger bullet never did exit , but did a great job. My brother was with us when he made the shot, he was amazed. Then 8 days later my same son shot his first coues buck at 550 yards , shot it a liitle low in the kill zone the kill zone but in drooped in its tracks, the exit hole was the size of your fist , so when we got up to the deer he finished him off with a shot to the head and messed up his jaw.

that following week my good buddy asked if he could use my 30-06 on his coues hunt , and of course I let him and he took a 96" buck kneeling down at 475 yards , 1 shot kill and his comment to me was amazed at the size of the exit wound.

Then later that year in November i shot my bull elk with that same gun at 375 yards and dropped in his tracks with a high shoulder shot(bullet did not exit)

So the answer is yes , 30-06 set up with a good scope and the right load is great. I had a bunch of so called experts tell me never attempt shooting an elk out past 400 yards. Don't listen to them.

168 grain berger bullets, 49.5 grains of varget powder,coal 3.400" (I have to hand feed because they are to long to fit in the magazine)

Those pictures are great! IMO that embodies the essence of hunting, can't wait to get my kids out to hunt when they are old enough. Do you do a lot of reloading?

• Like 1

If you are considering a new scope I would look at the vortex viper scopes. A little better clarity than nikon and a great scope. You can find the older viper 6.5-20x44 for anywhere from 279.99 and up. The newer viper hs will run a little more. In the 450 range.

• Like 1

Those pictures are great! IMO that embodies the essence of hunting, can't wait to get my kids out to hunt when they are old enough. Do you do a lot of reloading?

I did when i was working up a load, but now that i have my perfect load , I only load 100-150 rounds a year for my go to rifle mostly to verify its accuracy and to practice in the wind , It helps to practice at the elevations you will be shooting .

This is GREAT advice everyone. Clearly the common theme (and I whole heartedly agree) is practice.

The scope I have right now is a Bushnell DOA 600. I would like to get a Nikon Monarch (opinons?).

Agian, this rifle is more for hunting than anything. I feel more comfortable with MOA vs Mil Dot etc. I am still so new to this that I am still trying comprehend the math.

I will be going out in a few weeks to set out some trail cams in 6A to get ready for Oct. hunt and will be sighting my rifle in then. Also bought a Hornady Lock N Load Reloader and hope to reload a few to shoot off that at that time.

Advice I would recommend that CLEARLY MADE me decide which scope to purchase.....go to Sportsmen's Wareshouse or another store, look thru different scopes. TURN THE POWER ALL THE WAY UP, (for long range I would recommend variable scope with > 15 power) and pick something on the wall and read the print. Do this for each scope I was amazed on the differences in quality.

I know you mentioned Nikon (which is a decent scope) but on high power there was NO comparison between the Nikon and Zeiss or Leupold VX-3L... the Vortex are better than Nikon, but do the test for yourself...... I chose the Leupold because it had more MOA than the Zeiss (much more) with the 30mm tube. Everybody's eyes are different, but buy nice....or buy twice.

Go with the reticle you like, use a ballistic program and count the number of clicks...target turrets are easier, but bottle caps turrets can be used...

as mentioned above, good rings and bases are a must.

If you are considering a new scope I would look at the vortex viper scopes. A little better clarity than nikon and a great scope. You can find the older viper 6.5-20x44 for anywhere from 279.99 and up. The newer viper hs will run a little more. In the 450 range.

I have the vortex viper 6.5-20x44 on my sons .243, it had a leupold vx 2 3-9x40 scope and the tracking was flawless, the gun Always shoots 3/4 moa or better sometimes 1/4 moa, but like a retard thought we needed more magnification and sold it to buy that vortex. The clarity is good (nothing like my zeiss) , but the problem is you will pull your hair out trying to do a box test , it takes 3 or 4 shots sometimes for the crosshairs to quit moving. So you take several shots and it shoots great, but then you move your turret up 8 clicks(2" at 100 yards) and that sucker hits 3" high on the first shot ,then 2" high on the second shot, then finally it hits perfect on the 3rd shot. when the dang crosshairs quit moving around.

I went through 75 shots at the range last week trying to figure it out , took forever because i was waiting several minutes between shots. sending it back to vortex.

Me and my brother bought 3 of them from cameraland, my brother and his friend already sent both of theirs back to vortex , same reason and problem as mine, I had not shot mine till this weekend so i kept thinking it was there gun or them or a combination of both. They were right, vortex actually sent my brother a new scope and the new one was on his .264 mag and every other shot the turret would move a click or 2 so after 5 shots he was off over an inch at 100 yards. Took him 20 or 30 shells to figure that one out.

so for me in the future its leupold or zeiss.

Sorry i know lots of you guys love your vortex scopes , and binos , but for precision shooting if you need to be moving your turret ,you better hope it stops were it supposed to. If you dont ever mess with your turret you should be . For those of you with vipers make sure you do a few box test, .

here is a picture of a 200 yard box test with the leupold 3-9x40 with that .243 , could not repeat that in a 1000 years with the vortex scope I had . maybe ours were just all bad.

post-1975-0-58326200-1336438884_thumb.jpg

My vortex has killed everything i aimed it at from 100-600 yds. Accurate as heck. NO problems with it at the range or in the field. You must have had bad ones! Mine is way better than my leupold vx-3. Leaps and bounds better than that scope.

• Like 1