crtbc

3a/3c

Hey everyone, my name is Patrick, long time lurker, first time poster :-) anyways I am hunting friends with gr8 white jr who initially turned me onto this site, I was lucky enough to pull a 3a/3c early archery bull hunt, and am looking for people who drew similar tag or later tag and want to go hunting/scouting togetehr....

I am not looking for a guide, just a hunting buddy to up the success rate a little

ttyl

have a good day

who is your bugler this season??

Who is my bugler??? I don't understand?? I have never been elk hunting in my life, I have only "spooked" one herd of elk in my life and that was 3 years ago on accident while squirrel hunting , and I was archery deer hunting last year (to no success) and stalked within 50 yds of a cow elk witha calf, man was that a thrill.....

I have only been archery hunting for the last year and have not had any sucess sticking anything yet.... it took me 5 years to just get drawn for this hunt but I don't have the cash to go buy an outfitter/guide etc to help meon this so like many other hunts I am mostly on my own

I live and grew up here in Pinedale, right in the middle of the unit and would be happy to show you around and give you some info, I am flexible during the hunting season and often take many days off to help people out.

Houston

PM me if you want

who is your bugler this season??

Who is my bugler??? I don't understand?? I have never been elk hunting in my life, I have only "spooked" one herd of elk in my life and that was 3 years ago on accident while squirrel hunting , and I was archery deer hunting last year (to no success) and stalked within 50 yds of a cow elk witha calf, man was that a thrill.....

I have only been archery hunting for the last year and have not had any sucess sticking anything yet.... it took me 5 years to just get drawn for this hunt but I don't have the cash to go buy an outfitter/guide etc to help meon this so like many other hunts I am mostly on my own

Make sure you practice your shooting at 10 yards and if that cow and calf was awsome wait till a pissed off bull bugles all the way in to you at 5 or 10 yards away. You will have multiple bulls right on top of you. Two years ago my son 13years old had a small bull bugle while he was at full draw 2 feet from the blind. This is a primo hunt and the only problem I see you having is shooting one that's too small, wait for the BIG one.

Make sure you practice your shooting at 10 yards and if that cow and calf was awsome wait till a pissed off bull bugles all the way in to you at 5 or 10 yards away. You will have multiple bulls right on top of you. Two years ago my son 13years old had a small bull bugle while he was at full draw 2 feet from the blind. This is a primo hunt and the only problem I see you having is shooting one that's too small, wait for the BIG one.

Thanks I will practice my 10 yard shots allthough that sounds obsurd to me, not that I have the ability to make or not make 10 yd shots but that I can actually get that close to them.... I am not a trophy hunter by any means, I actually follow the old addage, you can't eat antlers but I will admit I am totally jonesing for this hunt and hope and pray I dont get punked.... I don't even know "how to score any animals" so I honestly wouldn't know what a big one is except HOLY S^&* that one is huge and right next to me

Thanks I will practice my 10 yard shots allthough that sounds obsurd to me, not that I have the ability to make or not make 10 yd shots but that I can actually get that close to them.... I am not a trophy hunter by any means, I actually follow the old addage, you can't eat antlers but I will admit I am totally jonesing for this hunt and hope and pray I dont get punked.... I don't even know "how to score any animals" so I honestly wouldn't know what a big one is except HOLY S^&* that one is huge and right next to me

You drew a trophy unit! Don't shoot anthing smaller then a 6 point until the last few days of your hunt. Get on you tube and look up elk hunts in your area and watch the video's of huge bulls. I believe Corey's guide service has a awesome video of big bulls in your unit. Also if you watch other archery bull hunts you will see that elk come into 10 yards or closer more then you would think. Good luck you drew a awesome tag.

Dudes, if this is his first hunt I'd say shoot what you're happy with. The unit isn't quite what it used to be, so if you hold out for that MONSTER bull like some of these guys are saying you're going to be dissapointed. Trust me, had the hunt last year. I'm sure Houston would agree.

Dudes, if this is his first hunt I'd say shoot what you're happy with. The unit isn't quite what it used to be, so if you hold out for that MONSTER bull like some of these guys are saying you're going to be dissapointed. Trust me, had the hunt last year. I'm sure Houston would agree.

+1

I also had this tag last year. I passed on a small 5 and a willowy 6 the first weekend. I hunted 10 days total and never could quite get a shot at anything else. I got a long opportunity a good bull, but shot just underneath him. If you can get on a bull that looks pretty, and the shot is there, take him.

The rut never really took off during the archery hunt last year. There aren't nearly as many cow in the unit as there used to be. Several hundred junior tags and several Sept/Oct cow hunts have taken their toll. That may have had something to do with the sporatic rutting activity.

+1

I also had this tag last year. I passed on a small 5 and a willowy 6 the first weekend. I hunted 10 days total and never could quite get a shot at anything else. I got a long opportunity a good bull, but shot just underneath him. If you can get on a bull that looks pretty, and the shot is there, take him.

The rut never really took off during the archery hunt last year. There aren't nearly as many cow in the unit as there used to be. Several hundred junior tags and several Sept/Oct cow hunts have taken their toll. That may have had something to do with the sporatic rutting activity.

+2

My friends had this archery hunt in 2009 and it took them 11 or 12 points so you are doing great! SHOOT WHAT YOU LIKE! Your first bull is special no matter what! They did a lot of scouting leading up to the hunt. That year the unit was dry not all the tanks had water. They had a couple of tanks that had good bulls coming. One friend was going to sit water all day and other was going to chase bugles in the am and sit water in the pm. It rained most of the hunt and most if not all the tanks filled up in the first three days! They changed their plans and chased bugles (what little the could hear) and passed on a 350ish bull on the 3 different days in hopes of finding something better. The funny thing is that they were trying to convince the other to take the bull (I would have shot him without thinking twice. good bull just thin antlers) Later in the hunt when they could not find anything bigger that bull and his cows were no where to be found. I was there in '06 calling for a friends sister during a muzzy hunt and there were several big bulls in the area we were in. She passed on a 5x5 at 25 yards that I called in with soft cow calls. Cow call were not working for the heard bulls BUT bugling would get the bulls to answer and the chase was on! A lot of places to look but we were south of the 260 and most of our best sightings early in the hunt was near the burn and the res! Good luck, you will not be disappointed!

Shoot what you want and have a good time. That is all that matters. Don't put to much pressure on yourself to kill and enjoy the experience.

I have the same tag as you, and I drew it 5 years ago and had the time of my life. Never killed one, my choice as I called 27 bulls into 40 yards or less and passed them. But I've killed 13 archery elk and wanted to be picky. Won't be near as picky this year though.

It will be a learning experience for you so enjoy it.

Brian

I got the same hunt. Have never hunted the unit but will be going up mid Aug. to scout.

I hunted 3a/3c with a friend last year. He had the early rifle hunt. We seen good bulls everyday and learned alot about the unit. Don't be afarid to hold out for a few days, you might end up shooting a bull of a lifetime. I know being your first time it will be hard not to shoot the first bull but it may be well worth the wait. Good hunting!