Sign in to follow this  
desertsheep

Waiting your turn

Would you be in favor of a system that only allows you one tag per year???

Say for X amount of dollars your name goes into the AZ Draw System. If during the draw you are lucky and draw a Bull Elk Tag for the area of your choice (your choices are submitted before the draw) your name would then be removed from the remainder of the draws. You would have your hunt for that season.

The following year you again apply for all hunts and zone choices. This year your bull elk hunt is tagged by the draw system as drawing a tag last year and you go to the bottom of the draw for that hunt. But, this year you draw a deer hunt. Again, your only tag for this year.

And so on and so forth.

Seems like more hunters would get to hunt every year and you would probably draw more often. I haven't run the numbers game to see if this would be true, but it seems like you would.

here is the formula the azgfd uses to justify no waiting period. 44,000x$5=$220,000. just for elk. personally, i don't care. it's pretty much proven mathematically, that after awhile, bonus points, waiting periods, etc. accumulate to the point that they don't do much good after a few years. i'm gonna apply every year, for everything that i'm elligible for. if i ever become one o' the guys that everyone else gets pissed at for regularly getting elk or pronghorn tags, that's even better. i love pissin' folks off. they raised the set aside for max bonus points to 20% and it got rid of a lot of the max points guys, at least for elk. in a couple years they'll hafta raise it to 30% to make it work again, and on and on. there are only so many tags in Az. and as long as we have drought + poor management + more and more applicants, it'll = lower % of chances for everyone to get a permit. (how'dya like my equations? first time i used algebra since college) a waiting period would do some good, for awhile. after a couple years, the numbers catch up to it. be nice if someone could develop a plan that would work, but the only thing that will truly increase hunting opportunity is more animals so they can allow more permits. i've been applying for sheep for over 30 years. no tags. i've had one Az. pronghorn permit. that took 26 years and was 12 years ago. i've had a few elk permits. actually quite a few. but most of em were back in the early 80's when you could usually count on an archery tag over the counter after the other 3 draws were done. but outside those glory years, i've had a half dozen or so elk tags. all bull tags too. mostly late rifle, but i don't care what season it is. i've known some guys that i wanted to burn their house down because they'd get drawn for bull elk 5 outta 6 years or some dang deal. even that hard luck bullwidgeon got 2 real good elk tags in a row. but i sorta think they feel sorry for him for that birthmark he has between his ears and above his neck. it's the luck o' the draw, and after a few years of every new fad program, it's the luck o' the draw all over again. even colorado's preference point system has been packed up solid with folks with max points. some units are up to like 20 years out, if you start now. anyway, i hope i get drawn for everything i put in for. actually, if they'll just give me a sheep, pronghorn and elk tag, they can keep their deer tag. i already have a primo deer tag for outta state. and besides, starting in 3 years i will be guaranteed bull elk, pronghorn and 2 deer permits every year. unless montana changes their rules. good luck to all the good guys. Lark.

Would you be in favor of a system that only allows you one tag per year???

Say for X amount of dollars your name goes into the AZ Draw System. If during the draw you are lucky and draw a Bull Elk Tag for the area of your choice (your choices are submitted before the draw) your name would then be removed from the remainder of the draws. You would have your hunt for that season.

The following year you again apply for all hunts and zone choices. This year your bull elk hunt is tagged by the draw system as drawing a tag last year and you go to the bottom of the draw for that hunt. But, this year you draw a deer hunt. Again, your only tag for this year.

And so on and so forth.

Seems like more hunters would get to hunt every year and you would probably draw more often. I haven't run the numbers game to see if this would be true, but it seems like you would.

If you are putting in for an early bull hunt with a rifle, it is going to take years to get drawn. Now on the other hand I drew an archery bull tag in 2001, archery cow 2002, and an archery bull 2005. I bought a point this year since I wanted to hunt bear and won't have time to scout just in case I got drawn. I will be back at it next year though. David

I like having a shot at the tags every year, also. If I don't get drawn I still got the archery deer season, it is always a blast!!! Archery turkey, bear etc....

you all mentioned that G&F doesn't like the sit out method cause of the $5 dollars. Make it a mandatory charge every year while you sit out to stay in the game. I wish there was a way to be assured a tag every 3-5 years. But as mentioned before facts are facts. There are only so many animals in AZ to hunt. I think G&F needs to get their heads back in the game. Increasing tag #s is not the answer (they seem to think so). the sitting out method seems to make sense, but I would like to see it take place in every type of hunt. I am usually the unlucky guy in draws. 3 deer tags 0 everthing else ....not so good. Pisses me off to see the same guy every year with big game in the back of the truck....But I am still able to enjoy the outdoors shed hunting, chasing littlebear's hounds, etc....

Becker

I am not for waiting periods. I would rather have at least a chance to go elk hunting every year in AZ as slim as it may be then to know I have no chance for "X" amount of years.