Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Utah Photo Vacation

A group of photographers from a landscape photography forum were having a gathering in Moab, Utah last weekend, so the preceeding week was spent taking the long way there via different locations in southern Utah. Some were national Parks, some were lesser known spots.

First spot was Bryce Canyon. I had been there one cold winter a few years ago, so the warmer temperatures and lack of snow were appreciated. All of the hoodoos can become an indistinct jumble in a wide angle view, so I tried zooming in on individual formations.

Ed800BryceMay2012_140.jpg

After the Sunday morning shoot, I ventured a little eastward to Willis Creek. It forms some narrow canyons. Although not a slender as a slot canyon or with the red sandtone of Antelop Canyon, it did have some nice curves and light reflection. It was nice in that Rica could hike also, unlike in most national parks.

Ed800WillisCanMay2012_042-c.jpg

Off of the Hole in the Rock Road is Goblin Valley. Just a small area with interesting sandstone structures.

Ed800GoblinVMay2012_029.jpg

Between Escalante and Boulder is a nice tree-lined sandstone canyon formed by perennial Calf Creek. At the end of the 2 3/4 mile trail may be one of the most beautiful falls in the southwest. I spent a few hours photographing various sections of Lower Calf Creek Falls.

Ed800CalfCreekMay2012_059.jpg

The Burr Trail passes through Long Valley southeast of Boulder. The road along the old cattle drive route is now like a slot canyon for cars. Pine trees growing beneath the varnished sandstone walls made for nice viewing.

Ed800LongCanBurrMay12_043.jpg

At the upper end of Long Canyon are the Circle Cliffs, whose colorful rock sit upon equally colorful red and blue clays.

Ed800LongCanBurrMay12_174.jpg

The Burr Trail road leads down to Waterpocket Fold.

Ed800WaterPocketFold_049.jpg

The last four days of the trip were spent around Moab. Had a morning at photogenic and popular Deadhorse State Park.

Ed800Canyonlands2012_058.jpg

An evening was spent in Arches when a dust and wind covered Canyonlands.

EdWindowsArchesNP-2012_023_01.jpg

One sunrise was spent intertwining tripod legs with other photographers at Mesa Arch in Canyonlands NP.

Ed800BlendMesaArch7476.jpg

The last evening around Moab was spent above Castle Valley with the other photographers from the NPN forum.

Ed800CacheValley-2012_077.jpg

This is a sampling of ten days of photography. Other images from the trip can be seen in the Bryce, Escalante, and Moab galleries in my photo album.

http://www.plateauli...92638&k=hVn2wjx

http://www.plateauli...51038&k=NXdjHQJ

http://www.plateauli...09410&k=LdLCKxr

Thanks for looking.

Doug

Doug, Peg just asked me if you sell any of your work to magazines. Your work is amazing. Hope to see ya at Marshall Lake. :)

TJ

Thanks all.

TJ, I have not had any images published yet, but I have not made any submissions either. So far, I do this mostly for fun and sharing.