Sign in to follow this  
Critter

Bear Attack E. of Payson

Anyone know if this lady is ok? Reminded me of one of the last posts about "bear defense" which turned into a gun debate about which pistol is better... Wonder if these folks even had a pistol in tent I would guess not but who knows. Doesnt happen that often I think the last one was out in pinetop a year ago or so.

http://www.myradioplace.com/iNews/view.asp?ID=3656

It says she's ok

PHOENIX — An Arizona woman was injured this morning when a bear ripped a hole in the tent where she, her husband and their dog had been sleeping at Ponderosa Campground in Tonto National Forest, just off Highway 260 about 10 miles east of Payson. The attack occurred around 4:30 a.m.

After tearing open the tent, the bear reportedly stuck its head in and clawed at the 74-year-old woman, leaving her with bruises and a laceration on her scalp. She was treated at Payson Regional Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries and released. The woman’s husband and dog were not hurt.

A large adult bear had recently been seen hanging around the campsite dumpsters. A wildlife manager with Arizona Game and Fish Department visited Ponderosa Campground yesterday looking for the bear, but it was not found. A culvert-style trap was set. The wildlife manager talked to the campground host about precautions, and all campers were informed of the bear threat.

The bear returned to the campground sometime during the night. The campground host chased the bear, which retreated. It returned a short time later and attacked the campers in their tent.

Personnel from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services are on scene and working with Game and Fish officers, using dogs to track the bear from the scene of the attack.

“Public safety is our first priority,” said Jim Paxon, information chief with Arizona Game and Fish Department. “This bear poses a threat to public safety and therefore needs to be lethally removed.”

The Department will conduct a forensic necropsy to confirm that the captured bear is the one responsible for the attack. Disease testing, including rabies, will also be conducted by an outside laboratory.

Officials have evacuated campers and closed Ponderosa Campground. Lower Tonto Creek/Bear Flat/Forest Road 405A have also been closed to entry. An official closure will be put into effect by the Forest Service until the bear danger lessens.

“The bear was probably looking for food, which is scarce this summer because of drought,” Paxon said. “These campers secured their food in the cab of their truck, and there was no food in the tent. While the campers were with the campground host and medical personnel, the bear came back to the tent a second time, ripped another hole in it, and then went after a pillow that had blood on it from the woman’s wounds.”

Bears are very active during the summer, Paxon added. It’s important to stay alert. Bears are attracted to places like dumpsters, trash bins and campsites. Whether folks live here or are just visiting, they need to remember this is bear country. Never leave food out, and never take food into a tent.”

Bear attacks on humans are rare. There have only been seven documented cases of bear attacks in Arizona since 1990, including this one.

For more information on what to do or not do in bear country, especially when camping, visit http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_bear.shtml.

Saw that on the news. Those campground bears become pretty bold sometimes. 5 years ago we were camping at Hoyer just outside of Greer, and the G&F brought in a culvert trap because of a nusiance bear. Don't know if they ever caught it?

If you bring your dog camping with you, you should be cited by AZ G&F for knowingly putting out bait for bears.

If you bring your dog camping with you, you should be cited by AZ G&F for knowingly putting out bait for bears.

What if you are a quick eater and fall asleep in your cot under the stars with crumbs in your beard?

What if you are a quick eater and fall asleep in your cot under the stars with crumbs in your beard?

I always make my wife clean her beard before bed!

• Like 2

Our dogs actually treed a bear that was coming into our camp the other night. We weren't in a regular campground, but near a bear trail. The dogs were safe inside the jeep, but started barking and we heard a bunch of footsteps in the leaves and then this weird hissing sound. Eventually the bear made the standard popping/huffing noises we have heard many times. I grabbed the bear spray and my husband yelled at the bear to get out of there. And eventually it did. Seemed like it came down the tree and then went up another hissing and popping. I don't know if the bear had any evil intentions or was just walking through. It actually sounds like a sow with cubs based on the noises I heard in the leaves. Be careful out there! There isn't a lot of food out there for the bears now. One of my workers had a large bear circle his tent one evening before he got back to camp. Luckily the bear didn't tear up the tent and his dog barked aggressively enough when he got to camp to make the bear move on.