Sign in to follow this  
coueselk

South Africa Hunt May 2012

All, here is a little on my past hunt in South Africa a couple of weeks ago.

The hunt was a very relaxed one for me. We really took our time and enjoyed every minute. My primary critters was the nyala and little red duiker. Which we saw lots of over the 8 days.

I even tried a little bow-hunting. But with my lack of practice and shooting instinctive, well let’s just say, there was a half a dozen arrows that flew over the backs of impala, warthog and common duiker. Needless to say it was fun trying.

Did manage to also pick-up about 100 tick bites. Boy were they thick in the tall grass. Wasn’t prepared for that and I’m still paying for it. They itch like nothing I have ever had.

I’m really pleased with my nyala. Got him on the last day. We saw a couple bigger through the week, but when holding out for the biggest one. Sometimes you end up with a smaller one. He was 27”, which I’m very happy with.

post-19-0-57813900-1339009981_thumb.jpg

I took two red duikers. The first one I got at a water hole on the 6th day of the hunt. He was about 1 7/8” on the horns. But the second one I couldn’t resist. The next day walking near a water hole, he just came out of nowhere. I could immediately see he was much bigger than the first and blind in the right eye. So I got him as well. His horns was 2 ½ “. Was a very old male. I was really pleased with him.

post-19-0-60178900-1339009841_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-57290900-1339009869_thumb.jpg

My reedbuck was 14”. Spotted him at about 1000 yards away on a grassy slope. Which was fun, except that was my first run-in with the ticks.

post-19-0-90333000-1339010088_thumb.jpg

And finally, after 5 African hunts of passing them up, a kudu bull. We heard of this big bull running around, but after two days of glassing and searching, just about gave up on him. Needless to say thanks to the help of a rhino guard supervisor, we found him. I knew it was the one I wanted when seeing him. Was the biggest bodied bull that my guide and all the other guys had ever seen. He measured 54” with really heavy mass. I was tickled to death on this one.

post-19-0-07105400-1339009908_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-47493400-1339009936_thumb.jpg

I'm leaving on my first S. Africa hunt in two weeks. Did you take your own rifle and if so, did you have any issues getting through thier customs/police at the airport? Any advice on that?

Thanks!

Fantastic trophies! Congrats!!!

tsxpeck,

I used the outfitters rifle. I use the same outfitter for years now, so the rifle I use is almost like my own. (I'm the only one that has used it for the past 5 years.)

The couple of trips to Namibia from South Africa and back a few years ago for him was easy. We picked up the rifle near the luggage area from one of the airport personnel. When then walked straight to the office where they check the rifle. Took maybe and extra 20-30 minutes and we were done.

Thanks for all the replies.

For all you that might be headed down to KwaZulu-Natal for hunting this year. Take some serious repellant with you for the ticks. Both for skin and clothing.

I wore long pants with gaiters over them and my boots. Still got the little buggers in my socks and pants.

Last day of my hunt was 12 days ago and I'm still nursing those tick bites. I don't think I'll get the tick bite fever, as my malaria medication is what you normally take for it. But they still are sores all over my legs and feet and itch badly. Wasn't quite prepared for them.

South African tick fever is nothing to mess with. I came close to dying with it, mainly because my doctor in Tucson refused to believe that was what was wrong with me. He was convinced I'd been bitten by a brown recluse spider and treated me accordingly. After more than a week of dangerously high fever (and the loss of golfball-size chunk of flesh on my thigh), I saw another doctor who prescribed the proper antibiotics.

Bill Quimby

South African tick fever is nothing to mess with. I came close to dying with it, mainly because my doctor in Tucson refused to believe that was what was wrong with me. He was convinced I'd been bitten by a brown recluse spider and treated me accordingly. After more than a week of dangerously high fever (and the loss of golfball-size chunk of flesh on my thigh), I saw another doctor who prescribed the proper antibiotics.

Bill Quimby

Doctors are kind of strange that way. I once contracted Giardia on an elk hunt in Colorado. I went to see my doctor when I got back, and told her I had Giardia. She told me I didn't know what I was talking about. After another week of suffering, and waiting for test results. They called me and told me I had Giardia. Really! I found a new doctor after that. When I got nailed by a brown recluse, that doctor figured it out right away. Go figure!