Sign in to follow this  
Jay Scott

Vortex Ranger 1000 Rangefinder

By Darr ColburnIMG_1522.JPGI just received one of the new Vortex Ranger 1000 rangefinders. I had been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this little gem. The size and angle compensation of this rangefinder are the main reasons I wanted to try it out. My oldest son Parker and I used the Ranger 1000 while shooting our bows yesterday afternoon. So far I am very impressed. I will be putting this rangefinder to the test over the next couple of weeks and will post the results soon.

IMG_1528.JPG

Parker testing the new Vortex Ranger 1000 Rangefinder

IMG_1525.JPG

I really love the size of the Vortex Ranger 1000 rangefinder.

838693349566457000-1175730734029265147?l=jayscottoutdoors.blogspot.com

View the full article

I have not tried long range targets yet. I just received it yesterday but will do some heavy testing over the next couple of weeks. I have a Leica 1200 I will be comparing it to. So far I was surprised that the Vortex Ranger is clearer, brighter and easier to look through than the Leica. I am sure the Leica will be better at long range targets but I will keep you posted. I love the size and the angle compensation of the Vortex Ranger 1000.

I'm looking forward to your review. I called over to Outdoorsmans and they have a number of them on order for customers but nothing on the shelf to play with yet (should have some soon though). I'd be interested in how it compares to the Leica 1200.

I'm looking forward to your review. I called over to Outdoorsmans and they have a number of them on order for customers but nothing on the shelf to play with yet (should have some soon though). I'd be interested in how it compares to the Leica 1200.

The warranty will be better than leica. I have found that leica is difficult to deal with

Anything more on your review? I got my hands on one yesterday at Sportsman's. Very nice, compact. Very bright display. I am eager to dump my Leupold RXII. It is inconsistent at what it will range, sometimes has trouble if it is windy. Will not range a black target. I am interested to know if the Vortex can range a deer at 600 yards, hand-held, and will it range a black object.

Thanks,

Brad

The warranty will be better than leica. I have found that leica is difficult to deal with

i had a warranty problem with my leica and they took care of me quick. i like vortex and havent had a warranty issue yet with their products.

So I was really thinking about getting one of these but the guy at Sportsmans told me that It was only guaranteed to read out to 500 yds on game??? That's a bummer

That's about what you'll get guaranteed from most lrf's, they say its a xxxx distance based on reflective objects.

That's about what you'll get guaranteed from most lrf's, they say its a xxxx distance based on reflective objects.

Good point. This is from the Vortex website:

Range Reflective

11-1000 yards Range Deer

11-500 yards

Luckily, when ranging at long distances there always seems to be a reflective target close by. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever actually ranged a deer at more than a hundred yards or so. Usually it's the ground, boulder, rock face, etc. that's around it.

I have done a little more testing so far with mixed results. Last week while scouting for sheep I had a hard time ranging things over 300 yards in the bright sun light. The sun was going down and I was ranging some sheep on the sunny slope. The sun was very intense and bright so the unit mamy have had a hard time due to the sun. The Vortex Ranger was able to range the sheep at 300-400 yards but had a hard time reading things (rocks) past 500 yards in the bright sun. I turned and ranged some rocks in the shape of the canyon and was able to get some 600-700 yard readings. I got this range finder primarily for bow hunting because of the size, weight and angle compensation. I think this unit will be perfect for that. If you are looking for a range finder that can range things consistantly from 600-1000+ yards you may want to spend more money and get something else. I will post more of my findings soon.

Darr

That's good info...thanks!! Anyone have experience with the Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000? Similar results?

That's good info...thanks!! Anyone have experience with the Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000? Similar results?

I have the nikon and i get the same results with it. I can 500 to 600 yard readings pretty easy but not much past that. Every once in a while i can get a 700 to 800 reading but its difficult.

Sign in to follow this