Sign in to follow this  
lonne

Bears are Hungry and Thirsty this Summer

2nd Bear Attack this summer...

Bear thought the guy was dead and an easy meal? I guess the first bear attack was in relatively same area (Tonto Village), and they didn't catch that bear (?), so maybe and probably the same bear...

http://azgfd.net/art...ar-Payson.shtml

This article shows the bite marks, looks like the bear barely scratched the surface...maybe bears like tattoos?

http://www.kpho.com/story/18856410/bear-attacks-camper-in-tonto-forest-cabin

Indeed the bears are getting desperate....we have had a few encounters this summer in the Chiricahuas and one broke into my popup camper the other morning while we were out doing owl surveys. Please don't be stupid like I was and leave food in your popup or camp unattended!

I've been hunting around tonto village like always with my spring archery tag and haven't seen a beer yet. Sounds like I need to stick by the camp grounds and communities ha.

Indeed the bears are getting desperate....we have had a few encounters this summer in the Chiricahuas and one broke into my popup camper the other morning while we were out doing owl surveys. Please don't be stupid like I was and leave food in your popup or camp unattended!

Eek! :o Did he tear up your trailer? Glad you weren't in there when he decided to come visit!

Holy crap Amanda, I'm glad it happened when you weren't in there sleeping. Hope the bear didn't do much damage. Please be careful. We can't aford to loose you. :o

TJ

We left the camper at like 0330 and unfortunately left the aquarium of mice in it (that I use for the owl survey work I do) and a cooler of food. Normally we take that stuff with us....can't believe we were stupid enough to leave it in the camper. We came back at 0700 to find the camper in chaos. The bear didn't do too much damage since the canvas pulled away from the top and door without ripping.

post-1-0-05736700-1340436425_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-21614000-1340436432_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-23738000-1340436435_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-38564600-1340436437_thumb.jpg

Do you think if Julie was left in camp this would have happened? Then again you could not have left her behind. Thank god it all turned out alright. :)

TJ

If both dogs were in camp, they might have kept the bear away but just one might have been in serious danger from the bear. It's ironic that we backpacked into an area loaded with bear sign the night before and had no problems. Then at this little spot where the camper was, we saw no bear sign, but had the problem.

Now I have bear tracks on my popup to match the bear claw marks from several years ago that I got on my Jeep! The trailer smells like a bear now! Will need to get some screens repaired.

I called the AGFD warden and reported this so they can inform campers in the area and hopefully prevent any further problems. If any of you camp in the Turkey Creek area of the Chiricahuas, please be careful! A ranch hand in the area said they had a bear get into their trash that same night.

I've been hunting around tonto village like always with my spring archery tag and haven't seen a beer yet.

There are 12 of them in my fridge right now.

• Like 1

Amanda,I know us girls like things to match. BUT THIS IS GOING TOO FAR!!!! :lol:

Glad everyone is okay.

Yikes! Glad you guys and dogs are safe! Not something you want to come home to after working all night... :blink:

I have been working at the house where that attack took place. It is actually in Thompson Draw II near Tonto Village. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and a bear had mauled the BBQ grill that was on site. This was probably the same bear that attacked the lady in the campground. I'm guessing they will get this bear as it seems he has picked up some bad habits.

In Amanda's situation, that bear is lucky that her husband Paul wasn't there. He will fight to the dead protecting his food.

• Like 1