Sign in to follow this  
Pine Donkey

Hurry up and Wait

G and F just sent out this email. End of July...are you kidding me!

Credit card processing holding up fall draw notifications

PHOENIX – Arizona Game and Fish officials are asking hunters to be patient for the fall hunt drawing results because it takes time to process thousands of credit card transactions.

“The computer lottery-portion of the draw process has been completed, but until all of the credit card transactions are processed, the draw process is not complete and we cannot post who is getting a hunt permit tag,” explained Jim Paxon, chief information officer for Game and Fish.

That’s one of the reasons Game and Fish asked prospective hunters earlier this month to make sure their credit cards are up to date.

Here’s how it works.

Once the computer determines someone has been drawn, then the credit card information is submitted. But the process doesn’t end there.

If a credit card is denied by a card issuer, multiple attempts are made to get authorization to charge it. When the credit card transaction denial is finalized, Game and Fish personnel must then determine who was next in line to get that hunt-permit tag, and then process that person’s credit information as well. In some cases, it might take multiple iterations to finalize the process on a single tag.

“With more than 130,000 applicants this year for the fall draw, it’s just taking time to go through the process,” Paxon said. “If there were a way to speed up the process, we would be doing it.”

With any luck it is possible that the draw results posting will become available by the end of July.

“If for some reason the process takes longer, we’ll do our best to get the word out to all of you,” Paxon said.

-30-

Since they dumped their old online vendor, it has been totally chaotic. I'm a software engineer, and believe me, this isn't rocket science. The way you have to apply online is incredibly poorly designed, and the way they process the applications is even worse. Just imagine if online vendors conducted their business this way.

Now, compare that with companies like Amazon. Not to get off on too much of a tangent here, but my wife bought a Kindle from Amazon and got a year's worth of the Amazon Prime service. With that service, I can buy products online, have them delivered in 2 buisiness days and pay zero tax and zero shipping. It's easier and cheaper than driving to a store and buying something.

I think G&F did a great thing by bringing back the online system, but the vendor they are using is not up-to-par with current e-commerce capabilities.

Hey coach your spot on with the Amazon comparative. Amazon has become an online giant due to its reliability, efficiency, and quick prompt service. The best part is that their service department are actual Americans who speak English! Thats always a huge plus so you dont talk to peggy from India.

Since they dumped their old online vendor, it has been totally chaotic. I'm a software engineer, and believe me, this isn't rocket science. The way you have to apply online is incredibly poorly designed, and the way they process the applications is even worse. Just imagine if online vendors conducted their business this way.

Now, compare that with companies like Amazon. Not to get off on too much of a tangent here, but my wife bought a Kindle from Amazon and got a year's worth of the Amazon Prime service. With that service, I can buy products online, have them delivered in 2 buisiness days and pay zero tax and zero shipping. It's easier and cheaper than driving to a store and buying something.

I think G&F did a great thing by bringing back the online system, but the vendor they are using is not up-to-par with current e-commerce capabilities.

They probably had to award the contract to lowest bidder.

Its simplier than that Coach. When a person sends in a check or money order, those funds are cashed. If you are not drawn, those funds minus the processing fee is retuned via a warrent. There are costs with printing the warrents and mailing them out. G&F now wants to accept credit cards but only bill those individuals who are drawn. There is a cost to bill a credit card (interchange rate). There is a cost to refund (credit) a credit card. But if G&F were to charge all credit cards at the time it desposits the checks and money orders, they are going to have 150,000 trnasactions or money sitting in the bank. The amount of interest they make in the time it takes to make the draw will cover the interchange rate for the initial charge and the credits.

I would not charge a additional processing fee to those who use credit cards because then you push folks to use checks and warrents are more expensive to generate and mail than CC credits. You want more folks to use CC's.

Just a thought

AZ Law is you can't charge a CC until a product or services provided. That's why they don't from what I understand. I don't get the multiple attempts at getting a CC to go through however. It should be one and done. It goes through or not, just like a check.

AZ Law is you can't charge a CC until a product or services provided. That's why they don't from what I understand. I don't get the multiple attempts at getting a CC to go through however. It should be one and done. It goes through or not, just like a check.

One and done! I agree to that!

yup... i'm just waiting to see what leftovers are left that i can buy.

put in for 27 dec. md ...and 36b dec. wt with 1 point.

I don't get the multiple attempts at getting a CC to go through however. It should be one and done. It goes through or not, just like a check.

You've never tried to use your card at the store and had it not go through the first time, even though there was nothing wrong with the card or funds? Then, when the cashier ran it one more time it worked? It happens. Data lines get clogged...connections time out....the process isn't perfect.

They probably took it in house. Here again You take everyone ones payment or credit card information. The lottery draw softweare shold not take more than a day to determine results. Honestly if it takes longer than an hour, I should submit my resume. In that case, bill all of the credit cards through batch processing on a Monday; settlement happens Monday night (G & F is paid); run the lottery applkication on Tuesday (determine whos going hunting), submit batch credits (refunds) to credit cards not drawn on Tuesday. Make a promise to send cut the warrents within a week. There may be excepts to when those funds show back up on your account (depending on the issuing back), but a maority will be back with in 24 hours.

So you see, it will never be perfect but there is always a better way ... Mr Paxon

I don't get the multiple attempts at getting a CC to go through however. It should be one and done. It goes through or not, just like a check.

You've never tried to use your card at the store and had it not go through the first time, even though there was nothing wrong with the card or funds? Then, when the cashier ran it one more time it worked? It happens. Data lines get clogged...connections time out....the process isn't perfect.

You are correct. If you overwhelm an issuer, even with a batch file, you can "drop" transactions. Depending on the error from the issuer, some transactions should be resubmitted. "General Error” yes ... "Do Not Honor", "Stolen Card", or "Not Enough Funds" uh nope.

Arizona is a state where you cannot charge a credit card until you have received a product or services. That is a correct statement but look at it this way, no matter what EVERYONE pays a processing fee, most of us will be getting refund on most of that amount.

I guess my fustration lies more in the process not the wait. Do even get me started on Voter Fraud in AZ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I had wondered why the cards were not processed upon application. Thanks for info.

Impatiently waiting!