Sign in to follow this  
ultramag

7mm Rem mag reloads

Sorry so brief..

I shoot a 7mm rem with 140 grain nosler balistic tip and 64grains of imr 4350. Half inch group at 100 . 2 kills over 600yrds. Out of the guns we reload, 5 out of 6 shoot imr 4350 extremely well. Don't get set on one powder. Try 3 or 4 just find out what you gun likes!!! They are all different and a 1/2 grain could make a huge diff. The nosler book has good info that's a good point to start .

Thank you for that info. I will try that load. I use the H powder in my 270wsm with good results and going to try that powder in a 7mm. Starting from square one though so thanks again.

All I shoot in mine is 168gr Berger HVLD's launched by 69gr of H1000, just under 3000 fps. I do think 4831sc is a great powder it meters so consistently due to the short kernels. However, I discovered over the last couple years that H1000 seems to be very consistent for ES and SD across all my guns which makes things a whole lot easier. I am shooting out to 1K with some pretty good results from the 7mm RM and the Dakota.

I am using H1000 in my 300RUM, 7mm RM, and 7mm Dakota (180 gr VLD).

Sorry so brief..

I shoot a 7mm rem with 140 grain nosler balistic tip and 64grains of imr 4350. Half inch group at 100 . 2 kills over 600yrds. Out of the guns we reload, 5 out of 6 shoot imr 4350 extremely well. Don't get set on one powder. Try 3 or 4 just find out what you gun likes!!! They are all different and a 1/2 grain could make a huge diff. The nosler book has good info that's a good point to start .

At 64grains of imr 4350. Getting 3200fps

For the IMR powder what are the velocity spreads due to being temp sensitive? I have read a lot about different powders being temp sensitive but have never seen or read to what extent, some say it's not enough to matter others say quite a bit.

Wouldn't worry to much about the temp sensitivity between Hogdon and IMR powders, I would however stay away from the double base powders, ie ball powders and VV-500 series powder. I have loaded for three different 7mm Mags, one liked H-1000, one likes IMR-4350, and one isn't too picky IMR-4831 to VV-165 using an assortment of Nosler bullets. Just my two abes!

I have used the IMR 4350 and the H4350 and find that the Hogdon powder meters better than the IMR. I have loaded 140 and 160 grain speer and Sierra BTSP bullets and can shoot less than MOA at 100 yards with both. I also have had good results with Berger 168 Grain VLD bullets which is my choice for hunting load. My gun likes 58 grains of powder. you may have to play around with seating the bullet to get the best COAL for your 7MM

Retumbo was my go to for a few years for the magnums but last summer I got some squirly results on really hot days. I was getting some big velocity changes in the same loads. I still think it is a great powder and my 300RUM seemed to love it but with the 7RM and 7 Dakots I was shooting the H1000 seemed to be a bit more reliable.