Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

Glassing for Coues

I took Duwane Adams glassing class some years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I knew how to glass but he taught us when and where to glass. Deer are where they are but for the most part they are predictable. I think it is worth looking into his class.

Oct. you'll be the first set of hunters. It depends on the set up of canyon(s) your glassing. once they bed down dont give up hope. Pack a lunch with you, cause middle of the afternoon there will be a small window of activity. Get up strech there legs maybe feed a little and find a spot to lay back down in the shade for couple hours. A lot of good tips here from a lot of people. Oh and plus 1 on best/good times to hunt on the ol gps. I find a lot of game just being out there glassing/hiking in those hour(s) even if it's 1pm.

My advice is simple:

1- Get up high with a great 360 degree vantage point at least 30 minutes before any light

2- Stay out all day

3- Don't discount hill faces where logic tells you there are no deer

Good luck!!

I believe Amanda sums it up pretty well. Wear out your butt rather than your boots. Glass, glass and them glass some more. I've spent 3-4 hours in 1 spot and then bam! There he was.

48 in a few months....

Well looks like everyone has thier own strategy, but in the end they are where they are........hopfully on the choping block at the end of the hunt! Lost of good advice and good luck to all!

P.S I have a hunting buddie who is 49 and manages to kill 100"+ deer 100% of the time! So who says that our elderly folk cant still get it done? Good job Begay!

A good piece of advice for you... Perhaps, you can leave the hunting to your 49 year old buddy. while he is out you can pick up his house and do his laundry. I know that I always enjoy a warm meal after I get home from a day of hunting...so maybe that will work, as well. I hope this was helpful advice.

• Like 2

bring the supplies you need that will keep you behind your glass till the days over.

bring the supplies you need that will keep you behind your glass till the days over.

+1 and maybe even extra water, small sleeping bag to wait a big buck till the next morning

48 in a few months....

Well looks like everyone has thier own strategy, but in the end they are where they are........hopfully on the choping block at the end of the hunt! Lost of good advice and good luck to all!

P.S I have a hunting buddie who is 49 and manages to kill 100"+ deer 100% of the time! So who says that our elderly folk cant still get it done? Good job Begay!

A good piece of advice for you... Perhaps, you can leave the hunting to your 49 year old buddy. while he is out you can pick up his house and do his laundry. I know that I always enjoy a warm meal after I get home from a day of hunting...so maybe that will work, as well. I hope this was helpful advice.

It would very hard to beat Begay's wife at the homemaking skills so I think I would rather hunt. Hey congrats on your 22 archery deer tag!

+1 and maybe even extra water, small sleeping bag to wait a big buck till the next morning

Thats hard core It would have to be a big buck for me to wait him out away from camp. Who has stayed at thier glassing spot and waited until morning to take a big buck?

Thats hard core It would have to be a big buck for me to wait him out away from camp. Who has stayed at thier glassing spot and waited until morning to take a big buck?

We did it once, me and my dad, we chose the right morning because the next morning looked like this.

post-3586-1263869710_thumb.jpg