Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

Glassing for Coues

I'm sure that this topic has been beat to death but tis the season so I figured I would stir it up. I know it takes good glass on a tripod to find more deer (got that one coverd). The past couple of years I have hunted with a buddie who has a nack for finding deer. I dont know if he will be going this year so I need to step it up. I just have a few questions for the pro's out there. I will be hunting higher in evevation in steep canyon country in late October. When glassing in the morning/evening what slopes do you concentrate on (north, south, east, west)? If your not seeing deer how long do you usually spend glassing one particular area before moving to a different vantage point? Who has had luck with staying out and waiting for the deer to go to water and move into different shade in the middle of the day? Any other tips that might help in finding more deer? Thanks

best advice I have for you (and yes it is accurate) is to watch the times on your gps that says is best for animal movement.

• Like 2

I went hunting with a wise old man (well, I have hunted with him several times) but a few years ago he was looking at the 'wrong' side of a hill. His response was "Deer are where you find them". Because of his wisdom, I respect him very much as a hunter and as a person.

About 40 minutes later we were standing over a deer I had shot on 'the wrong side of the hill'.

also, shade is your friend. lots of deer in the shade and it is a lot more comfortable and enjoyable glassing for deer when you are sitting in it.

finally, you can't find deer in your binoculars with your eyes closed.

And when you are glassing and have looked at a spot 2-3 times or so, look again!

• Like 1

best advice I have for you (and yes it is accurate) is to watch the times on your gps that says is best for animal movement.

Thats awsome..... Just checked my Rino 110 and it does infact have a feature for best times to hunt and fish! It does not suprise me that the first two hours and the last two hours of day light are the best. :)

+1 for what Firstcoueswas80 said. Deer are where you find them. Oct hunts are warm- shade is key, for both you and the deer. we glass til our eyeballs fall out, then glass some more. we may stay in the same spot from first light until noon and then maybe only move 100 yards or so. Important for us to stay out all day as the deer do get up to feed and will go to water- trail cam times and experience show that. A deer up and moving is always easier to pickup than one bedded. Best optics possible/tripod and pick apart the area you are glassing as many times, all you fisrt pickup on a deer is a tine,tail or leg when they are bedded.

Thats awsome..... Just checked my Rino 110 and it does infact have a feature for best times to hunt and fish! It does not suprise me that the first two hours and the last two hours of day light are the best. :)

don't dismiss it when it says the best time is mid afternoon

• Like 1

Go on a sheep hunt even if you just volunteer to be extra eyeballs! After that you will never be the same and you will learn what glassing till your eyes fall-out is all about. One thing I had not seen mentioned yet was to pick a place where you can cover as much ground as is possible so you can avoid moving around a lot.

Pre-glassing from space... Google Earth & topo maps can be a huge help to find water holes, natural funnels in the landscape, roads, trails, etc. GPS will help you keep track of where you have seen deer and after you get your waypoints back on a map sometimes you can get an idea of where and why the animals all move through a location. Any work you can do before you get to your area can help you come up with a plan and areas to focus on. I find when I am in those areas I just "know" have to have deer it is a lot easier to sit there and glass for a LONG time.

Dont forget the magic of doing your business :wacko: as well, lot of animals found when nature calls. :huh:

Oh and deer hate standing in the sun when it is hot, walking out in the open on roads or ridge lines, being next to your camp or truck, etc. Unfortunately they are pretty dumb and don't seem to follow the rules so we have all seen them in exactly these places, just as firstcoues was pointing out. :rolleyes:

Just when you think you have these deer figured out they will surprise you. You can find them bedded in the heat of the day in the middle of a hill with nothing but ocotillos growing on the hillside. Other times they will be tucked into the darkest shade they can find. It's always best to start off going with the odds and look in the open when the deer should be feeding and in the shadows when the sun is out, but be prepared to try something different if that doesn't work. I do a better job of glassing when I am comfortable so picking a shady spot is good advice. One last thing, the moment hunters start pounding the country-side the game often changes. We killed dozens of deer back in the day because we stumbled into a couple of honey holes the deer were using to escape from hunting pressure. We would set above these canyons in the dark and wait for hunters to start moving at first light and at times the deer would come pouring into these escape canyons.

I went hunting with a wise old man (well, I have hunted with him several times) but a few years ago he was looking at the 'wrong' side of a hill. His response was "Deer are where you find them". Because of his wisdom, I respect him very much as a hunter and as a person.

About 40 minutes later we were standing over a deer I had shot on 'the wrong side of the hill'.

Old man??

Oh and deer hate standing in the sun when it is hot, walking out in the open on roads or ridge lines, being next to your camp or truck, etc. Unfortunately they are pretty dumb and don't seem to follow the rules so we have all seen them in exactly these places, just as firstcoues was pointing out. :rolleyes: Three years ago me and my dad killed a 3 point wt that was hanging out in another hunters camp on opening day on the second hunt :D

48 in a few months....

Well looks like everyone has thier own strategy, but in the end they are where they are........hopfully on the choping block at the end of the hunt! Lost of good advice and good luck to all!

P.S I have a hunting buddie who is 49 and manages to kill 100"+ deer 100% of the time! So who says that our elderly folk cant still get it done? Good job Begay!