Sign in to follow this  
EricTheRed

36C Tag Early November

Hi all,

Newbie checking in... I was just drawn for the WT 11/9 - 11/15 36c hunt. I have been reading about safety and where to hunt/camp. I'm leaning toward Elk Horn Ranch, but still concerned about leaving my trailer unattended for the whole day while hunting. Anyone have any suggestions on where to camp to increase security or any other tips on the area when it comes to this? I'm not asking for 'where to hunt'... I have planned a couple scouting trips and am in good shape, so I will put in the good 'ole sweat equity. I'm just concerned about safety and what other hunters have done to mitigate the risks in the southern units. Also, has anyone had theft issues in these units?

Thanks!

-Eric

Like a lot of folks on this site, I have hunted 36A,B,C many times. I have never had safety/theft issues. As a risk mitigator, I usually camp where others are camped. If you're planning on hunting/camping in the Elkhorn area, you should have no problem with your trailer/camp during the day. There are plenty of other folks who camp in that area, and also the 'illegal' activity is really not too much of a factor during the day iin that area (IMO). If you're not hunting the hilld/flats, good that you're in shape!!! Those mountains are STEEP!!! ;) Good luck on the hunt!

S.

:)

PS: Welcome to the site!

That is reassuring... Thanks, Stanely. Sounds like that will be the plan then. Where I hunt really depends on the weather; if its hot I will stay flat by the water, if cool I will go-a-climbin'. Really excited for the hunt this year!

there usually is a boarder patrol check point on the highway right there close to the elk horn

There is always a BORDER patrol check point there on 286 by the elk horn. Along with a lot of hunters on the Elk Horn. It will be ok there.

I did run into around 15 illegals walking down a wash behind elk horn ranch a couple years back without incident. I wish I glassed up as many big bucks as I do illegals in that unit. I see some every time I go out. Not too many people want to bother a cammo'ed out guy with a high powered rifle. Taking stuff from your rig is another story, but I have never had anything stolen down there.

the last time we hunted 36c was 2.5 years ago. we saw a lot of illegals. enjoyed having border patrol circle our camp at night in a helicopter. tripped multiple sensors and had border patrol dispactched on us multiple times (on foot and by helicopter), had border patrol haul through our camp in the middle of night in hot pursuit. might be different now but that is what it was like in 2009.

Right on, thanks all. This helps ease my anxiety about taking the trailer (was tempted to bring a tent or sleep in the car). I will report back after the hunt... hopefully with a great success story!

-ETR

Hi eric im a newbie to this area as well 36C. So have u checked the area out yet? Im hunting Mule deer in nov 16th hunt. Undecided where to camp or scout. That elk horn ranch can u camp there or near? Thanks for your time

According to the responses I beleive you can camp 'by', not 'on' the ranch. I will report back after my scouting trips.

the last time we hunted 36c was 2.5 years ago. we saw a lot of illegals. enjoyed having border patrol circle our camp at night in a helicopter. tripped multiple sensors and had border patrol dispactched on us multiple times (on foot and by helicopter), had border patrol haul through our camp in the middle of night in hot pursuit. might be different now but that is what it was like in 2009.

you forgot to mention the A-10 Warthogs doing low level flyovers to ruin your 3rd stalk of the day...