Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Sighting my Bow for G5 Montecs of Mechanicals?

I’m getting ready for my Coues hunt at the end of the month and am starting to shoot my broadheads more and my field points less in practice as the hunt get closer. I have been using G5 Montecs as I love the reliability, strength, of sturdiness of the fixed blade Montec. I have noticed that at 20 yards my groupings and with both field points and broadheads are dead on and even. However, as I increase my distance to 30 yards my Montec tipped arrows are lifting a bit and shooting 1-2 inches higher than the field points.

My dilemma lies in how to compensate for this difference given my short time to prepare for the hunt. I was pretty badly beat up in an ATV accident a couple of months ago that required surgery on my knee. I will be off of the crutches by opening day and mobile enough to where I can get in and sit a blind over water. However, for a long period of time I was out of it, and unable to pick up my bow until last week. While I am now able to shot in my basement, I would be hard pressed to get to the 3D range or do the kind of shooting I would like to fine tune my sights with the Montecs. Here are the options I am considering:

• Should I stick with the Montecs and just am slightly lower if shooting greater distances?
  • Should I try a mechanical broadhead? If I try a mechanical broadhead I am once again semi limited in selection as I shoot 125 grain and only see a couple of options at the 125 grain.

I have a knowledgeable friend that has been shooting a lot longer than I who suggested trying a Swhacker mechanical broadhead, but I haven’t seen them in the 125 grain. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me?

Thanks

I had the same problem withe the montec cs 100grain at 20 yards dead nut past that the shot was lifting everything I tried didn't help end result went to the shuttle t fixed head shot like my field points out to 60 yards don't know what it was but just couldn't get them to fly bow was paper tuned broadheads we square with my vanes and still nothing hope someone else has some advice on what to do

I had a similar problem when I switched from 100 grain Montecs to 125 grain, for my elk hunt last year. I had to adjust the rest/pins to compensate. I since re-tuned for the 100 grain and went back to the 100 grain Montecs...for now. I am considering a good expandable for deer and pigs. Keep in mind that you may have an issue shooting some expandables through the ground blind mesh window.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish moving the 30 yard pin was as simple as it would seem. But it is not just the 30 yard pin. It is also the 40, 50, and 60 yard pins. Under normal circumstances, not a big deal. But when you recently sliced the skin, muscle, and tendons down to and away from the tibia and fractured your tibia, simple tasks become a bit more difficult.

I'm not complaining, just looking for suggestions of feasible solution given my situation and time to prepare.

Thanks

I had a similar problem when I switched from 100 grain Montecs to 125 grain, for my elk hunt last year. I had to adjust the rest/pins to compensate. I since re-tuned for the 100 grain and went back to the 100 grain Montecs...for now. I am considering a good expandable for deer and pigs. Keep in mind that you may have an issue shooting some expandables through the ground blind mesh window.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered the possible mesh problem.

Swhacker just posted their buy one get one free offer again...no personal experience with blinds but they claim to shoot thru mesh without opening. I've had similar issues with fixed blades and switched to mechanicals.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish moving the 30 yard pin was as simple as it would seem. But it is not just the 30 yard pin. It is also the 40, 50, and 60 yard pins. Under normal circumstances, not a big deal. But when you recently sliced the skin, muscle, and tendons down to and away from the tibia and fractured your tibia, simple tasks become a bit more difficult.

I'm not complaining, just looking for suggestions of feasible solution given my situation and time to prepare.

Thanks

I would bet you could move the whole sight up just a smidgen and all pins would be good. The adjustment on the 20 should be minimal.

Swhacker just posted their buy one get one free offer again...no personal experience with blinds but they claim to shoot thru mesh without opening. I've had similar issues with fixed blades and switched to mechanicals.

Thanks! I might give them a try.

I would agree with VIPER. Before I went to the Montecs I shot the Shuttle T's. They hit about 2 inches lower than my field tips all the way out to my maximum yardage. A simple adjustment of the whole sight was all that was needed. As long as the point of impact is the same as you move out, should fix it.

I too had a problem (with my knee) a week before ELK season. I went anyway and agreed with my doctor to just sit a water hole. I saw many ELK that were too far away to make a good shot or stalk closer. My advice is shoot what you got, take no risky shots, and enjoy the time out there. If you get a close shot, great, but if you just have a visual experience then you had a sucessful hunt.

Rage makes a 125gr. crossbow head with a 1 3/4" cut. It has a slightly deeper retaining groove for crossbow energy, but works awesome with vertical bows. Screw them on, leave your sights, kill stuff, that simple. I've killed a pretty good pile of stuff with them so far and love them, I'll NEVER go back to fixed blades. They'll go right through shoot through mesh as well.

Every 100 montec i have ever weighed was 105 gr.mine hit a bit lower than field tips. If yours hit high it is a tuning issue... Mark your sight with a pencil bump the whole sight basket up a tad and you should be good. I think the montec is a great choice for elk! I have seen bad things happen with mechanicals!

I have been in your boat with coming off crutches just before archery season thus i will pose the question i did to myself. what are you goung to do after you shoot a deer and can you climb a mountain to track it or worse yet pack it out. Have a plan in place if you cant do either.

Good luck.

cmc