Sign in to follow this  
Younghunter

36A Question?

I just got my 36a October coues deer tag in the mail, and I have a question. There are three main mountain ranges in 36a: the Sierritas, Cerro Colorados, and the Las Guijas. I am wondering which range would hold the largest number of mature bucks? I have heard that the Cerro Colorados are the roughest which interests me as I always like to get away from the crowds. Thanks for the help.

Wesley

I think that's a VERY tough question to answer. I don't think that the G&F has done a fly-over specifially counting mature bucks by mountain range, and as far as asking hunters; you'll likely just get opinions based on personal bias.... I'm thinking that there will be mature bucks in all three mountain ranges. ;)

Lots of deer in that unit! Good luck on your hunt!

S.

:)

Most people will agree with me- this unit is hard to locate mature bucks in. Mature bucks do not live in the mountains in 36a, they live in the flats. I've found a few bucks in the mountains that were 3-5 years old but its not that common, it's easier to locate mature bucks in most other units in southern az.

You will see large, equal sized crowds at all mountain ranges in the unit and Sierrita mtns being the most populated. Scouting is a must, if anything find an area where there's lots of coues in the flats that is glassable from the hills.

Good news is you have the oct hunt which is the easier hunt to do in 36a, the unit is easy to find 50-80 deer per day with several spikes and forks. I've hiked to top of Colorados and once you reach the top you can see the other side where there's alot of hunters- it seems that the mountains are covered pretty good and the big bucks have no where to hide but the flats.

good luck man

I just got my 36a October coues deer tag in the mail, and I have a question. There are three main mountain ranges in 36a: the Sierritas, Cerro Colorados, and the Las Guijas. I am wondering which range would hold the largest number of mature bucks? I have heard that the Cerro Colorados are the roughest which interests me as I always like to get away from the crowds. Thanks for the help.

Wesley

• Like 1

36A is a small unit you can see everyone and their brother from anywhere.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone here. I had this hunt a few years ago and it was tough because i aslo have never hunted it. I scouted 3 weekends before not even seeing a single whitetail, just all mule deer. That was fusterating! Then opining weekend was a ZOO as well. I ended up hiking off the main road for a bit and glassed 2 whitetail bucks, one about 70" and the other 90"+. Well I ended up seeing the 90"+ after I shot the 70" buck. ElkHunter said he was watching the hole thing come down, saying that 90" buck never stopped running. Good thing Elkhunter cant hear because he couldn't hear all my shoots at this 70" buck at 80 yards. My scope must have shifted after I fell.

I owe this hunt to a member on here who helped me out!

There's a ton of deer in 36a but very few mature bucks. Only big bucks I've seen come out of there recently have been from behind locked gates.

There are some nice bucks in 36A...we killed these two a couple of years ago and have seen some larger ones since... Don't hunt the mountains so much but more the flats and deep draws. Also....lots of snakes!

post-3911-0-65845100-1344368549_thumb.jpg

When I was in college, I saw one of the biggest buck I've seen pre-season in the Batamote Hills down pretty low. He was bedded at the crown of a hill that rose up out of the flats. There was about a 95" buck that he made look small. My dad and I both thought he went around 120". Never saw him again though. Have seen several good sized ones in Cerro Colorados on both sides and I used to hunt the Sierritas quite a bit. The one in my right hand is from there.

LOTS of predators in 36a as well. I have killed probably 50 or so coyotes from that unit. Both from the Sasabe side and the Arivaca side.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone here. I had this hunt a few years ago and it was tough because i aslo have never hunted it. I scouted 3 weekends before not even seeing a single whitetail, just all mule deer. That was fusterating! Then opining weekend was a ZOO as well. I ended up hiking off the main road for a bit and glassed 2 whitetail bucks, one about 70" and the other 90"+. Well I ended up seeing the 90"+ after I shot the 70" buck. ElkHunter said he was watching the hole thing come down, saying that 90" buck never stopped running. Good thing Elkhunter cant hear because he couldn't hear all my shoots at this 70" buck at 80 yards. My scope must have shifted after I fell.

I owe this hunt to a member on here who helped me out!

Ha I remember seein you down there, never heard shots like you said!

36a has produced many decent deer a walk out of Arivaca.

Like mentioned Ive also killed LOTS of Yotes on the flats....

Thanks for the replies, guys. I should probably clarify what I meant by mature. As this is my first Coues deer hunt, I would be happy with a 70"+ buck. Are those expectations too big for this unit? I am not afraid of strenuous hiking but it sounds like I can't hike far enough to get away from the crowds. So if I'm understanding you guys right, I should forget about the mountains and concentrate on the flats and washes. Thanks again for all your help.

Wesley

70 inch would be awesome for a first buck- don't focus on numbers on your first coues hunt- try to focus on getting a good hunt and experience out of it and take whatever buck makes your finger itch.

In 36A the farther you hike the closer you get to another group of hunters! Glass pockets in little hills and washes and your odds of finding a 70 inch buck becomes greater however your odds of seeing a buck is reduced since there's not as many deer in the flats as there are in the hills.

In 36A the farther you hike the closer you get to another group of hunters!

That cracks me up. :) :D :lol:

I don't have a set score in my mind just something a little bigger than a spike :D .