Sign in to follow this  
AZkiller

1st BEAR...UPDATED

Right on I just looked it up on snipershide. Thats a really cool concept 408 necked down to a 338. Ive never heard of one till today. Great bear again man good luck on your following hunts.

Sounds like 23S is closed on Wednesday! I have heard of five sows hitting the ground... We killed one on Saturday night and it was a great hunt... Glassed 18 bears in two days!! This past weekend was the time to be out this season! Congrats on your nice bear

I just checked her in and they have 6 sows now in 23s. They aged her at 6 to 7. This is the most sows killed on the first hunt weekend in 4 years.

Sounds like 23S is closed on Wednesday! I have heard of five sows hitting the ground... We killed one on Saturday night and it was a great hunt... Glassed 18 bears in two days!! This past weekend was the time to be out this season! Congrats on your nice bear

Thank you. It was alot of fun.

Congratulations on your first bear !

You sure dropped her in her tracks . B)

How are you having the meat processed ? We do mostly ground and a little stew meat for the freezer. Makes great tacos , spaghetti, burritos and bear helper ec ect. Bear Sausage is pretty tasty too !

Love that bear hunting , Our archery bear opens Saturday morning . No prickly pears here , so I'll be concentrating on the Sugar pine crop and the very few berries that produced this year.

The bears really like these Sappy cones.

post-5066-0-38209200-1345167787_thumb.jpg

Probably won't shoot mine from quite as far away as you did ! :D

Cool video. Huge congrats on the bear and that rifle is pretty sweet! I see you have a muzzlebeak on it but at the speed, a 300 gain bullet has to kick! What would be a comparable recoil?

Thanks all. I don't know what I will do with the meat yet. I have never had bear so I thought I would try a stew first and go from there as to what to do. A bunch of you seem to be interested in the rifle. I just finished her up last spring. She shoots very well. Recoil is....manageable?... I would say it kicks about like a factory ultra with the plastic stock. Keeping in mind that I have a huge break on it and it weighs upwards of 15lbs. I don't think I am going to carry that thing into another canyon. My next build is going to be a titanium action built similar to a BAT, #2 contour barrel chambered in either 6.5x47 lapua or 6.5x300wsm. All will be atop an edge stock from McMillan. Don't forget a 6.5x20 from leupold. Also, does anyone know a good taxidermist in town to get this bear tanned?

Wow....15 lbs! Ouch, my back is sore just thinking about carrying it. She look beautiful though! How much money do you have tied up in the construction of the gun?

Wow....15 lbs! Ouch, my back is sore just thinking about carrying it. She look beautiful though! How much money do you have tied up in the construction of the gun?

Well, considering I built the action myself, chambered it myself, built the muzzel break myself, my dad bed the stock. I would say that I have, with the scope included, about $1800 or so in it.