Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

.264 Win Mag Powder Choices

I'm in the final stage of having a .264 Win Mag built and I'm starting the process of choosing where to start with my load development.

I'm limited in my choice of brass - only two manufactures that I can find that are making it so I went with the Nosler. The bullet I selected is the 130 grn Scirocco II for it's high BC and SD.

Now to my gunpowder choice. All my reading leads me to the slower burning powders and I'm leaning toward trying H1000 and Retumbo. There's a but though, I see that Winchester Supreme 780 shows better velocities at lower presures than the two I'm leaning towards....How can that be? Faster powder, lower Max presures with higher velocities. Since the data is all coming from the same site I can only assume the test barrel is the same in terms of length and twist but can't be sure. Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

129 GR. HDY SP Retumbo .264" 63.5 3005 51,900 PSI 67.5 3171 61,500 PSI

129 GR. HDY SP H1000 .264" 60.2 2942 54,500 PSI 64.0 3064 60,700 PSI

129 GR. HDY SP WinSup780 .264" 63.0 3140 55,000 PSI 67.0 3269 59,500 PSI

Perhaps WW780 maintains a higher pressure over a longer period of time, rather that just a spike of higher pressure. Also the pressure differences are 3% or less.

Don't forget about Ramshot Magnum powder.

Great choice on the sciroccos!

H4831 should also run well in that case. Also the 140 class bullets are just more of a good thing. B.C in the .600s with bergers and hornadys.

H4831 should also run well in that case. Also the 140 class bullets are just more of a good thing. B.C in the .600s with bergers and hornadys.

Thanks for the feedback.

Not a fan of the rapid expansion/explosive bullets like Bergers. Much prefer the bonded ones with controled expansion. I couldn't find a hornady hunting bullet in the 140 gr .264 that had a BC as high as what you said. Saw one that wasn't recommended for hunting. Which bullet were you referencing? I would like to take a look at it.

Based on all my reading .264 Win Mag shines with the slower burning powders. The H4831 is at the faster end for this cartridge and all my load data shows that loads with that powder only has about a 75% load density. Not really sure if that matters but I prefer the load density to be at or above 85% mark.

what rifle and barrel? h-4831 and h-1000. with 130s and 140s

Having the rifle built. I has a 25" barrel w/ 8" 3 groove twist.

The Amax is what I was referring to. They say not recommended for hunting but I have read they performed very similar to the bergers, since that's not what your after it doesn't matter. Even still a 140 nosler will retain more energy and drift less in the wind over the 130 at extended ranges.

I'm telling ya, Larry... Don't over look 4831sc just because of the load density. It shot extremely well in my 270 wsm, and does very well in my dads 7 RUM... Accuracy, and speed wise.... I think I have some still, as well as H1000 if you want to experiment.

I'm telling ya, Larry... Don't over look 4831sc just because of the load density. It shot extremely well in my 270 wsm, and does very well in my dads 7 RUM... Accuracy, and speed wise.... I think I have some still, as well as H1000 if you want to experiment.

I will take you up on the H1000. load up a few and see if it has any potential. I'm using the 4831sc in my 300wsm so I will also see if it has any potential.

The Amax is what I was referring to. They say not recommended for hunting but I have read they performed very similar to the bergers, since that's not what your after it doesn't matter. Even still a 140 nosler will retain more energy and drift less in the wind over the 130 at extended ranges.

Thanks, I'll do some research on them.

Court's 264 win mag likes 120 sierras with 4350. It also shot 130 nosler accubonds really well with 4350. Court used the 130's to take her cow elk at 350 yards. The gun was built with a 1-9 twist and shoots 100's the best. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would build it with a 1-8 twist to shoot the 140's. Don't overlook the 140 nosler partitions. Even though it's not a boat tail, it is a great bullet and handles game with the best of them.

Brent

I have to agree with "cohofishing" H4350 is where its at. The 4831 is temperature sensitive and i have found it produces inconsistent speeds at higher temps. Scirocco's are a good bullet choice.

Ramshot Magnum and 140 grain pills are where it's at for the 264. 3050 is the absolute ceiling for my 24" plumbing.

Bergers BC is .612 and AMAX is .585. Swift calcs their BCs like some bow makers figure IBO FWIW. The 140 AMAX is a killing SOB.

Good thing you like the controlled expansion slugs. That 3 groove pipe is gonna eat thin jackets like a madman after about 200 rounds... in my 6.5x300RCM the Bergers went first at about 150 rounds, the AMAX shortly after, at about 250. No target impact, puff of smoke observed by spotter mid-air. Accubonds and ballistict tips still shoot fine...

Having BTDT, I wouldn't wish controlled expansion low BC slugs or a 3 groove 6.5 barrel on my worst enemy for long range shooting, especially with high displacement platform.

5 groove 264 has nary a problem with thin jackets after 1k rounds... and the 6.5x300RCM is on it's way back for a 5 groove tube.

Ramshot Magnum and 140 grain pills are where it's at for the 264. 3050 is the absolute ceiling for my 24" plumbing.

Bergers BC is .612 and AMAX is .585. Swift calcs their BCs like some bow makers figure IBO FWIW. The 140 AMAX is a killing SOB.

Good thing you like the controlled expansion slugs. That 3 groove pipe is gonna eat thin jackets like a madman after about 200 rounds... in my 6.5x300RCM the Bergers went first at about 150 rounds, the AMAX shortly after, at about 250. No target impact, puff of smoke observed by spotter mid-air. Accubonds and ballistict tips still shoot fine...

Having BTDT, I wouldn't wish controlled expansion low BC slugs or a 3 groove 6.5 barrel on my worst enemy for long range shooting, especially with high displacement platform.

5 groove 264 has nary a problem with thin jackets after 1k rounds... and the 6.5x300RCM is on it's way back for a 5 groove tube.

There are definitely a lots of differences in opinions and experiences with the 3 groove barrels. I did a lot of research and found more favorable comments/experiences almost 2 to 1 to yours. In the end, I decided to trust the recommendations of the barrel maker and rifle builder I chose. Here’s to hoping my results/experiences are more favorable than yours.

If in the end I have the same results as you it will just give me a reason to do another one.