Sign in to follow this  
Hornhunter247

Too much?

I just recently purchased a Weatherby mark V chambered in 300 wby, im going to top it with a Vortex viper hs with a cds setup from kenton industries and then a vias brake. My question is is this a little too much gun for my coues hunt this year? I'm really excited about both the gun and the hunt so id like to try it out asap :)

Too much? Probably for some folks, but I assume that you bought it to shoot and to hunt with it, so go on and do it. I hunted with a .300 Wby last year because it was the only synthetic stocked rifle I had availaible other than a .338 Win Mag (which most folks would agree is "too much").

I havent gotten into reloading yet, But have been getting the itch. Well i bought this gun for an elk rifle, but now im chomping at the bit to get it done! Forgot how exciting a new rifle is lol.

I love my 300 wby , shot my 1st coues with it . It might be the perfect 30 caliber round . Enjoy yours , BTW , Weatherby brand ammo is hard to beat .

My hunting partner uses a 300 wby, and he loves it. I shoot a 300 WSM. and I love it. It's just a 308 or 30-06 on steriods. Just get a limbsaver recoil pad and you'll be fine.

Any of the 30 cals are great and not too much gun. However, I got to hold a round for a 388/416 rigby and dang! Now THATS too much gun for our little coues... A 250 gr pill going 3200 fps?!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?

A .300 Wby that shoots well is one of the most versatile guns out there. I had one for a while and killed a couple coues bucks with it. In no way was it overkill. I've since switched to a .300 WSM, which I prefer over the .300 wby, just because I shoot this particular gun better. A good muzzle break and recoil pad go a long way. My Wby was super light and it didn't take long for me to develope a pretty good flinch. It was a shoulder pounder.

Congrats on a really nice gun, and very versatile round. That is one gun that can go from coues to Elk, Moose, anything that walks basically.

Is the goal to kill stuff? Its gonna be just as dead. Whats the problem with using a big gun? I'm shooting a 300gr 338 at mine this year. You could kill one with a 223, would you want to?

I'm sure glad to hear quite a few of you hunt with similar calibers! A good buddy of mine was kind of shocked saying I'd dang near destroy a coues with this gun lol. Just got me thinking is all :)

At almost 4 bucks a round I'm thinking I'll keep the shot count low ;)

Is the goal to kill stuff? Its gonna be just as dead. Whats the problem with using a big gun? I'm shooting a 300gr 338 at mine this year. You could kill one with a 223, would you want to?

Lol, yeah, I would use a 223 over a 338 pushing a 300 gr pill any day, lol. I'd flinch so bad, I'd be spraying shots all over the hillside, they'd have to rename it lead canyon! Big calibers=flinching= misses or bad shots. And I know, I know, not all the time, was just my opinion. Never said I have problem with big guns, just not something I would use. And, to get back to the original question, no, a 300 wthrby is not too big for coues.

I'm sure glad to hear quite a few of you hunt with similar calibers! A good buddy of mine was kind of shocked saying I'd dang near destroy a coues with this gun lol. Just got me thinking is all :)

At almost 4 bucks a round I'm thinking I'll keep the shot count low ;)

That is why I asked if you reload.