Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Bushnell Tanks Rd

Hello everyone,

does anybody know if the Bushnell Tanks Rd off the beeline is closed?

the reason i ask is because everytime i drive north on the beeline i see the gates closed on the east side.

Thanks.

They are closed and locked since the diamond fire. I have hunted on foot back in there recently for a few years. I take the Arizona trail/Mule trail in behind the old store. A lot of folks hunt it close to the freeway but I haven't seen only one person back by the tanks and he was on a horse.

GBA

I think the official story is litigation from a drowning and fire. But I think the real reason is they are in a pattern of closing and not reopening lots of land.

• Like 1

I never heard about the drowning, first I heard of this and i know the local ex ranch foreman there in Sunflower. I think he would of mentioned it. My hunting partner lives there too and I know he would have said something as well. do you have any details on it.

GBA

The ironic thing is sometimes the gate is open, but then locked again. I don't know if that is for rancher access or what but someone could get locked in.

Oh wow, i've worked along side of Wade a few times at the Salt River. Never knew he was the one out there doing that rescue.

azshtr,

Yes it could be for rancher access, he has the combo and if its open he is probably back there rounding up cattle unless its Fish and Game. Fish and Game have a horse trailer and locked shack back in there for some reason. They have been there a while and they don't appear to have been moved or used in some time.

I read some of the rescue story and I highly doubt the area is closed off because of the drownings.. That was in 1998 and i have not only hunted but i have also camped back in there prior to the Diamond fire nearly every year after that time and some before it. Used to do a lot of quail hunting up by the huge mine towards Mnt. Ord as well. However since the Diamond fires it could be deem as a flash flood issue and coupled with falling debris off the steep hills because of the lack of vegetation and erosion.

If your willing to hike back in there its pretty good area for Muley's and a few white tail if you know where to look.

GBA

This is a classic example of how our forest and wild lands will get closed and off limits to anyone. They use the excuse that we need to close after a fire to protect the fragile enviroment and we all fall for it. then once the iron gates are up, no more access. Think about all the areas like this. How long ago was the diamond fire? if you have been back in there you will see that the forest has long since grown back. ITS ALL ABOUT CLOSURE. now they dont need to spend limited resources to patrol the area.

When the new road and iron gates went up at lower sycamore I told my son, "watch within a year these gates will be closed and never reopen" Oh look gates closed due to fire and flooding. what? flooding in a creek bottom? what has the world come to?

So are you prohibited from even walking down the Bushnell Tanks road? The sign says prohibited entry to everyone. Or is the entry prohibited to motor vehicles? I do not get it. I see people parked there all the time, meaning they must have walked in. What gives?