Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

What's your favorite binocular power/size?

As a mechanical engineering student, I've recently learned about the science of optics and feel as though I can produce a high quality binocular that will rival the best in the business. With that in mind, I'm looking at starting this venture with 2-3 sizes to start. I'm wondering if you were to choose your top two favorite power/size binoculars, what would they be?

For me, I'm thinking 15x56 and 10x42.

10x42 and 15x56

Also, what's most important to you in binoculars? Besides clarity of course.

15x56, 10x42, 8x42

Clarity and weight.

Guest akaspecials

10x42 and 15x50-56. Clarity and weight are the biggest factors for me. Comfortable eye pieces being a close 3rd.

So what I'm getting is that the two most popular sizes are 10x42 and 15x56. Seems like starting there and then branching out to 8x42 and 12x50 might be the best option.

Seems like the major factors are clarity, weight, and comfort.

What about ergonomics? How they feel in your hand? I know the 15x56 doesn't really matter since they'll be on a tripod, but on the 10x42's it might make a difference.

I'm wondering how you could possibly make binoculars that could rival Swarovski, Leica, etc. No offense intended, but it seems absurd that you could turn out a similar quality optic by building essentially a home-brew bino. The materials, equipment, and experience those companies have are immense and their binoculars sell for thousands of dollars a pair. Even companies that make and sell lesser quality optics have a huge advantage over you. Am I missing something here?

• Like 1

Interpupillary distance is a big one as well. I know several individuals that cannot use Swaro 15's as they don't close tight enough. I second Coues Sniper's question...

I have always wondered why nobody makes a small, light, 5x25 for short range stalking in the woods. The lens dont need to be perfect. Good light gathering in all that is needed.

Ha. You make it seem like I'm planning to brew up some home made binoculars or something. In reality, I've developed specific formulas and lens specifications that should rival top brands. I'm not saying it will be better, but I'm hoping it will. I've been working with some of the higher end lens manufacturers overseas to develop my glass, I've also been working with some other manufacturers that have experience in putting the pieces together per se. I've been working with a team of engineers here in town for the lenses, CAD drawings, forms, and housing designs.

Do I have an advantage over any of the current players in the market? No. But I have an idea, I've located the top sources for the materials, I've come up with some solid specifics on how to improve already quality products, and I'm thinking I can produce a quality product.

I'm hoping to have a prototype put together in the next month or two. I'll keep you guys posted as this thing progresses. Who knows, maybe one day I'll sponsor the site and offer discounts to members. :)