Sign in to follow this  
huntjunkie

Unit 10 Archery/Rifle Elk Hunt Report Story and Pictures added

Sitting here in unit 10 waiting for the elk to get up and start moving. While I'm waiting I thought would give an update. Things are drying out, thank goodness! The elk are not coming to water right now checked a dozen tanks and very little if any sign. :( But last night we glasses up 8 bulls together, 7 smaller 6x and one bull that seemed to be at or over 340-350. Being a little conservative since they were over a mile and a half away. But he's worth investigating further. He had 1 cow. That's where at now. They were very vocal last night! Bulls everywhere! This morning vocal till 8:30.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

I like these post from the hunters in the field. Keep us updated as much as possible. Good luck and shoot srtaight. :)

TJ

Last night we got on the bulls we glassed up Thursday night. Bulls were up about 5:00pm we followed them till just before dark then started calling. Couldn't call them in but they were vocal. Had to get agressive with them. Had one bull screaming at us just on the other side of a couple juniper trees. Sweet talked him through the trees and stood broadside for Geoff, who was at full draw. 30 yrds. I was behind the decoy calling. He stood there for about 2 min staring at me. Geoff let down after hold for a min. He was a nice bull but not a shooter opening day unit 10. He had great tops! Bottoms were weak. 340ish bull. Cool call in though! Got us PUMPED! Then this morning NOTHING, no bugles, no sign, no elk. Talked to another hunter and he hadn't heard or seen anything yet.

Last 2 days have been tough. Moving to a different part of the unit were the bulls are vocal. Starting to see a few bulls in the outfitter camps. Bulls look to be in the low 300's, but I didn't ask.

We're pulling for ya. Thanks for the update.

TJ

Any pictures from Unit 10 archery hunt? I am waiting to see the 375+ bulls. I got a report this afternoon from my hunters and they are struggling. They are hunting hard and hiking 2-3 miles in the dark each morning before they start glassing. There appears to be higher than normal hunting pressure off Pica Camp powerline road. Some small bulls but nothing to shoot 3 days into the hunt. Any other updates from Unit 10?

That's where we are camped and theres probably 10 camps within a mile and a half. But that's not the reason the elk are hard to find. We don't see anybody out in the "field". Struggling is an understatement. Talked with another hunter who had hunted this area before. He could believe how bad it is in that area. I hope it turns around for everyone's sake! Probably the most frustrating hunt I've ever been on! It will change soon. My buddy with the tag is really wondering if he made the right decision to pass on that 340 bull Friday night. Lol!!