Sign in to follow this  
huntjunkie

Unit 10 Archery/Rifle Elk Hunt Report Story and Pictures added

I have to provide this report. Friday night I pulled off the side of the road about 3/4 miles from a tank. We get out and start unloading the truck. Immediately 2 bulls start bugling at us. One in front of us and one behind us. It is about 8:45. They keep hollering at each other while we are getting things set up for bed. We hit the sack at about 9:30 and they are still having a shouting match and getting closer to our truck. I stick my head out of the camper shell and listen. It sounds like the bull is heading down the road towards the truck. I fall asleep with the bulls screaming at each other. My buddy is a light sleeper. In the middle of the night he wakes me up and says "listen to that". They are going at it. They are probably 100 - 150 yards away but it sounds like they are just outside the camper. In the morning we are up early to try and find them but all I see is one bull going over the hill towards his bed before the sun is even up. We glassed from the truck for about 30 minutes and then left to find a better vantage point. We were on a great hill 30 minutes after the sun came up and never saw an elk. We glassed for an hour and nothing! I guess when you are up all night long you hit the sack early. It was really dark. No moon, no lantern and no camp fire. I think all of that helped with having them so close to the truck. It was pretty cool. We should have tried to video tape it just to get the audio.

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know my buddies are not alone in their frustration. We had this tag last year and were into plenty of bulls even though there were hunters under every rock. Things seem a bit off and hopefully when I get there on Wednesday things will be better.

Chris, that had to really get you fired up for your hunt!!! Way cool!

Keep after it Huntjunkie, patience and hard work will pay off!

Follow them to their bedding ground and dig in for the night. Come daylight be ready. Easy for me to say from here. Keep after them and good luck Chris.

TJ

we saw 8 bulls saturday afternoon/evening. they all seemed to be heading away from the roads and the hunting pressure. a couple others that we were not able to see were bugling from their bedding area at dusk.

I have been up ther since last wed, they were screaming some until mon and they just went silent.Decided to come home for a day and pick up my brother and head back up tonight.Have seen bulls ranging from broken 320 to 370 bulls hearding cows with very few small bulls even hanging around. Hopefully things will only get better still cant beat being in the woods with friends and family thats what makes hunting special.But would still like to kill a 380 plus bull too. Thankjs to my son Mathews and Dzell for hanging out and hunting with me.

Talked to Stan "huntjunkie" this morning. Things are really picking up for them. They found a monster last night and another this morning while looking for the bull from last night. No shot opportunities yet. I'll leave the rest of the story for him.

Good luck Jeff and Stan!

Well, after several days of hunting hard we got him. This is my 65 year old father's first archery bull. Congratulations to Dad and his hunter partners, my brother Michael and best friend John....aka the Bowtech Posse.

post-5828-0-96013600-1348106755_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That would work! My old man and I are heading out on Friday for a week in 4b! We weren't able to make it up for scouting during the summer. Hopefully we can get it done in a week!

Well, after several days of hunting hard we got him. This is my 65 year old father's first archery bull. Congratulations to Dad and his hunter partners, my brother Michael and best friend John....aka the Bowtech Posse.

Awesome bull for your old man!! 65 years old...he's my idol.

Take Care

firstcoueswas80,

After taking this bull we drove to our place in Heber this afternoon for a few days of relaxation. We are here now and I have been watching a 4b bull from my deck for the past 3 weeks. He is 300 inches and is the bull in my profile picture that if you look closely you can see on the horizon. He is no further than 1/2 mile of 260 and has not moved for several weeks. He has his cows and doesn't seem to anxious to leave this area.