Sign in to follow this  
mtn-memories

Travel management - what are YOU going to do?

Where can I find the Travel Management Plan for a specific area? I am not overly familiar with them, but it sounds like I need to be.

Go to a Forest Service Office and you can get them there. I went to the one on 23st and McDowel in Phoenix and picked both of them up. They are free.

The Coconino Map measures 33"x55" and is double sided with North on one side and south on the other.

Where can I find the Travel Management Plan for a specific area? I am not overly familiar with them, but it sounds like I need to be.

Go to a Forest Service Office and you can get them there. I went to the one on 23st and McDowel in Phoenix and picked both of them up. They are free.

The Coconino Map measures 33"x55" and is double sided with North on one side and south on the other.

Thanks

Since I am not from or familiar with that area and the FS maps usually don't really DETAIL out the roads... I would just go wherever wasn't blocked, signed, gated or fenced off and hope for the best. At least in court you could honestly say you made every effort to comply and show them the map and pictures of where you got onto the closed road. I'm pretty sure you'd come out with a warning as long as you didn't ruffle too many feathers in the process.

Since I am not from or familiar with that area and the FS maps usually don't really DETAIL out the roads... I would just go wherever wasn't blocked, signed, gated or fenced off and hope for the best. At least in court you could honestly say you made every effort to comply and show them the map and pictures of where you got onto the closed road. I'm pretty sure you'd come out with a warning as long as you didn't ruffle too many feathers in the process.

The Travel Management Maps show the roads which are open and list the others on the map which are too small to show so you will need to carry both maps. Sure you "can" take the chance but who wants to spend time going to court?

The USFS is not blocking or putting sinage on closed roads leaving the burden on us to show we are not on closed roads. Do I agree with this new policy, absolutely not.

Will I comply to the best of my ability, you betcha. But it is our perogative to choose our battles.

the forest service up in 9 are marking roads which are closed!

Glad to hear that, last I heard nothing was getting done by them.

Just got back from 5B south. Forest Service visited our area and our campsite while I was out hunting. I would have loved to talk to him as the "closed roads" had numerous camps on them. The guys in our camp he talked to had no idea of the new rules. He was just concerned that there was a hunter in camp for each RV as he stated they could not be left on site if a hunter returned to town to work or something. He must take the RV with him. He also cautioned about campfire care and went on to the other Elk camps in the area. All "closed roads" were not marked and heavily traveled and camped on. He did nothing about them. We camped across from a "closed road". 3 camps on it with in site of ours. My camp buddies stated he chatted with them, but they never moved their camp. Maybe a warning?

He was just concerned that there was a hunter in camp for each RV as he stated they could not be left on site if a hunter returned to town to work or something. He must take the RV with him.

I thought that was covered by the "72 hour rule".

Nothing is illegal until you get caught haha!

I'll be complying on my hunt...although I am 100% against these road closures especially in 6A I don't mind walking to where I want to be or sleeping in my truck.

Having said that....to each his own. I hope everyone enjoys their hunts and camping spots regardless of where they are.

It's the FS's own dang fault for trying to enforce this and set up signs at the last min. They should have known this would be the issue this late in the year.

Nothing is illegal until you get caught haha!

I'll be complying on my hunt...although I am 100% against these road closures especially in 6A I don't mind walking to where I want to be or sleeping in my truck.

Having said that....to each his own. I hope everyone enjoys their hunts and camping spots regardless of where they are.

It's the G&F's own dang fault for trying to enforce this and set up signs at the last min. They should have known this would be the issue this late in the year.

From what I understand the G&F has nothing to do with the new rules, it's the forest service.

Just got home from Colorado where we camped in the Pike Nat Forest. The dispersed campsites are all marked and most are right next to the main roads. We "lucked" out and found one 40 feet off the road. I will comply but when are we "the owners" going to rebel? First step is to be sure and vote and know how your candidate stands on this.

"I too HATE the new Travel Management Plans, but if you are going to implement a "plan" or a "law" you need to make every effort to ENFORCE it. Otherwise all that is being accomplished is the frustration of the lawbiding folks feeling like the only ones suffering penalty are the ones in compliance. Grrr..."

Here is a very realistic scenario that I'm afraid I'll face here in a few weeks. There is a huge amazing basin in 6a that I plan to hunt. Overlooking that basin is the perfect glassing spot. To reach that glassing spot I will have to walk probably close to a mile in the dark (I have no problem with that), but I suspect that while I walk, I will watch the lights of quads driving the "closed" road that goes within a couple hundred yards of the spot. Let's say that regardless of how we get there, we are all there glassing the basin. That's fine. However, THEY have a significant advantage closing the gap on anything glassed up. While I make my way back to my vehicle on the nearest "open" road, they are well on their way to reposition for a stalk. I just want a level playing field! Again... I hate the Travel Management Plan, but if they have it then they need to ENFORCE it, otherwise guys like me are screwed.

• Like 1