Sign in to follow this  
mtn-memories

Travel management - what are YOU going to do?

I was in the Coconino this weekend scouting for my upcoming hunts. The archery elk hunt was underway and if I didn't know any better I would think the Travel Management Plan had been repealed. People (hunters) were camped anywhere they pleased (even down and off of "closed" roads), and closed roads were being traveled regularly. I didn't see a forest service vehicle all weekend, nobody was enforcing anything, and it appeared most hunters were totally apathetic regarding these new laws.

I don't agree with the plan, but I had intended to comply. Now I'm thinking that if I were to comply - I'm going to be one of the only ones ... a "chump".

What do YOU plan to do? Comply or ignore?

I'm totally against the new "travel plans". It just feels like big government up our backside at every turn. Particularly, I hate the camping restrictions. Everyone I know leaves their campground cleaner than they found it. Most pick up beer cans and other trash they find while out along the roads.

There are always the few dumb jerks that decide to dump their black tank as they pull out, or even worse, right in the campground they were just in.

I don't want to be penalized for what a few idiots do.

Back to your question: As for myself, I'll begrudgingly in accordance with the laws – knowing my luck any infraction will haunt me. I could start a whole new post on feeling singled out by the Feds. I’ve had them ruin my campsite on multiple occasions.

If I could choose, I’d rather deal with state and local guys than the federal agencies. Our local AZGFD does a great job. I’d rather see a grey truck pulling up than one of those pale green ones any day. The fed guys are not nearly as supportive of us hunters as the local state wardens, imo.

I too will continue to comply, as I have all summer long. Leaving my boot tracks on top of the quad tracks and truck tracks from the day before. I HATE the new travel management plans but I just know that ONE time I bend the rules a bit the forest cops will be right there.

• Like 1

I will comply also, but it is sure a hard pill to swallow. There are areas that used to be accessed by a long drive, park, and then a long walk that are now for all practical purposes out of range for a day hunt because the roads are supposedly closed. However ... there will still be guys hunting these old favorite spots as if nothing has changed. I'm going to feel significantly cheated. Not to mention how utterly ridiculous it will feel to be packing an animal significantly further because that road only a short distance away - doesn't exist although people will be driving up and down it.

I too HATE the new Travel Management Plans, but if you are going to implement a "plan" or a "law" you need to make every effort to ENFORCE it. Otherwise all that is being accomplished is the frustration of the lawbiding folks feeling like the only ones suffering penalty are the ones in compliance. Grrr...

Ya we camped 30 feet off the road in 9, and it felt like were right next to the road, oh wait we were! We comply, but don't like it, as for roads being shut down have seen so many people driving closed roads, and my wife and I walked into a tank, and here comes a quad that the road was closed. I just wanted to scream at the guy, but lucky my wife was with me and can calm me down lol!

Why comply? Are you going to also comply when they say no more hunting on natl forest? Are you going to comply when they say no more owning guns? It starts small.....gotta draw the line somewhere.

• Like 1

Just to clear some things up about camping off restricted roads.

I called the coconino forest office in flagstaff and asked them to clarify the rules to me so i wouldn't get cited. The lady in the office stated you can camp off any road as far away from the road as you want too. You just can't drive your vehicle more then 30 feet off the road. I asked her if that applied to toy haulers or tent trailers as well? She told me that you can park a tent trailer or toy hauler as far off the road as you want as long as it doesn't have a motor! The catch 22 is you can't pull the trailer more then 30 feet off the road with a vehicle. So basically if you unhook your tent trailer and move it further then 30 feet away from the road you will be ok as long as you don't use a motor vehicle.

Just to clear some things up about camping off restricted roads.

I called the coconino forest office in flagstaff and asked them to clarify the rules to me so i wouldn't get cited. The lady in the office stated you can camp off any road as far away from the road as you want too. You just can't drive your vehicle more then 30 feet off the road. I asked her if that applied to toy haulers or tent trailers as well? She told me that you can park a tent trailer or toy hauler as far off the road as you want as long as it doesn't have a motor! The catch 22 is you can't pull the trailer more then 30 feet off the road with a vehicle. So basically if you unhook your tent trailer and move it further then 30 feet away from the road you will be ok as long as you don't use a motor vehicle.

Why comply? Are you going to also comply when they say no more hunting on natl forest? Are you going to comply when they say no more owning guns? It starts small.....gotta draw the line somewhere.

Exactly. I will and have continued to camp in my normal camping spot.

what travel management plan? that's how i feel

Exactly what I have seen the last few weeks. Little paths that never were a road are still major shortcuts during the elk season. Closed roads are being used as much as the major open roads. Haven't seen a forest service truck since the first of Sept. I think most are off for the winter.

I said Id comply with the regs just because Im that guy who always gets caught. And Id rather spend my time hunting or doing whatever Im doing then wasting it with some over achiever from a gov't agency.

I saw forest service a few times this summer when I was out. Had a buddy questioned and accused of driving on closed roads because his truck fit the description of one that was reported doing so (his truck was white). This was all in Kiabab NF.

Im a tent camper so I guess Im free to camp as far from the road as I can pack my wall tent. Ill just have to leave my pick-up in the bar ditch to get pelted with rocks and dust.