Sign in to follow this  
SDHNTR

Pipe feeder?

Instead of using all the elbows, and such, to construct the feeders, I just took a 6' section of 4" pvc and cut a 90 degree angle into the bottom and jammed it into the ground so there is about a one inch opening for the corn to escape. Then used two ratchet starps to secure it to the tree. I have found that the three points of contact limit the bears from tearing the setup down, as oppossed to having a feeder just strapped to the tree.

A few other tips:

-stay away from waterholes, tons of birds take a lot of the feed

-use buck jam ( or similar product) at the base, this makes it easier to transition from corn to mineral

-if bears start hitting the setup, move; they will take over

It is ok to bait, but the all baiting is about to become at thing of the past. You have an option to voice your opinion very soon!

All,

If you have any input, comments or want to give your ideas or concerns with regard to the removal of hunting over any eatable substance “bait” except salt, minerals, water. Here is your chance to be heard.

As a side note, I want to thank Brian Wakeling from AZGFD for his help and honesty with regard to this potential rule change.

The Commission has just begun the official process to amend Article 3 rules.

I will file the Notices of Rulemaking Docket Opening and Proposed Rulemaking with the Secretary of State’s office this week. I anticipate the Secretary of State’s Public Services Division will publish the notices in the October 5, 2012 Arizona Administrative Register: http://www.azsos.gov...2/contents.shtm

This will start the official public comment period, which will run from October 5 to November5, 2012.

In addition, once the rulemaking is published in the Register, I will post the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to the Department’s Internet Rules page: http://www.azgfd.gov...g_updates.shtml

Once you’ve had a chance to review the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (preamble and proposed rule language), you may submit any comments you may have in writing (via USPS mail or e-mail) or by telephone.

The Department will review and consider all comments received during the comment period and will draft the Notice of Final Rulemaking and Economic Impact Statement for the Commission’s review at the January 11, 2013 meeting.

At the January 11 meeting, the Commission may approve, deny, or modify the final rulemaking. The public is welcome to attend the meeting and address the Commission (a speaker slip is required, they are provided at the meeting).

If approved or approved as modified, I will file the Notice of Final Rulemaking and Economic Impact Statement with the Governor’s Regulatory Review Council for their review. The council will vote on the rulemaking package at the May 7, 2013 meeting.

More than likely, you have just a few months left to try your pipe feeders, then all big game will have the same requirements as baiting bear.

Discussions like this one and others that promote and show the topic of baiting, “pictures are worth 1000 words" helped give AZGFD enough information to help push their agenda to remove baiting through higher success rates " assumed" and the possibility of CWD.

The Public will have roughly a month to comment and send their ideas and concerns with removing a hunting method. If you don't tell them how you feel, then when it is gone in 2013, don't complain about it, becouse we had a chance to voice our view point :)

Mike

The Game and Fish department will open a whole new can of worms if they pass this. It will basically be the end of tree stand and blind hunting. Because, if I show up at a water hole and see someone eles stand, all I have to do is dump some corn out in front of the stand, and now nobody can hunt there... This will bring out the worst in hunters... Good job G&F!

520Hunt, be careful, G&F came after me when I criticized them on this website. If you want to hear the whole story, PM me. They don't take to well to criticism, even when they are wrong!

520hunt of course i went to look it up and i cant find the info now. I just requested info on baiting from fs so hopefully i can get more info. The only reason why i know you cant bait on the coronado is i hunt it alot and use to throw bait out for deet until i found out it wasnt allow dont have anything against baiting and would love to do it in the coranado for some pig and deer.

Does anyone know were i can get some quick info on baiting on the coronado national forest lands

Baiting seems to be a big gray area that G&F is trying to still define (which I am all for) , and methods ( which include leaving feeders on NF land and bears) seems to cross the legal lines from state to federal, Born and raised in AZ, growing up baiting was not allowed for hunting for many years and I could not tell you exactly when things were changed, but many old timers still think it is not legal to bait even though it is, excluding Bear. I do not agree with baiting but as long as it is legal many hunters will look for the easier way to insure they get more opportunity and that is their right, but I do not think that doing away with it in AZ is a bad thing... Many states with far more viable populations of big game have outlawed hunting over bait and it does not stop the hunters in their quest for doing what they love... I would be careful when it comes to baiting and Bear, from what I understand if you know bear are coming to your bait frequently and you continue to bait that area, you are breaking the law, but that too seems to be a gray area where it may just be a matter of luck if something bad came of it.

With all do respect to everyone here it is not a grey area at all. Baiting itself is perfectly legal as long as you are not baiting bears. We have had this discussion many times on here.

I wrote up a whole thing on it with the laws attached, go to your search bar and type in "Laws Regarding Baiting" and you can see it. You can hunt over, around or with bait all day long (again) as long as it is not for bear.

If your damaging the land with salt or cutting up trees to make an area or blind for it then that is a different story. But it is 100% legal...see the other post to view the law. Think about it...if hunting over bait was illegal then we wouldn't be able to hunt over water holes or oak groves etc.

520hunt of course i went to look it up and i cant find the info now. I just requested info on baiting from fs so hopefully i can get more info. The only reason why i know you cant bait on the coronado is i hunt it alot and use to throw bait out for deet until i found out it wasnt allow dont have anything against baiting and would love to do it in the coranado for some pig and deer.

Who did you request the info from? I called the Coronado National Forest office in Tucson, and they said they didn't have regulations regarding baiting game animals for hunting. They referred me to the AZ Game and Fish dept. for rules and regulations relating to hunting.

Part of the reason people are saying it's a gray area or that it's illegal in unit 33, has to do with this USFS rule regarding the coronado national forest. I believe this one came about because of the bear mauling on mt lemmon years ago. I haven't seen the map of the area that this rule applies to. if someone has it, post it up. Maybe it only applies to Mt Lemmon?

Please keep in mind that although AGFD doesn't currently make baiting illegal (except for bears), this rule sure seems to for USFS land on the Coronado (not sure of the boundary this rule applies to).

post-1-0-66262900-1348863282_thumb.jpg

With all do respect to everyone here it is not a grey area at all. Baiting itself is perfectly legal as long as you are not baiting bears. We have had this discussion many times on here.

I wrote up a whole thing on it with the laws attached, go to your search bar and type in "Laws Regarding Baiting" and you can see it. You can hunt over, around or with bait all day long (again) as long as it is not for bear.

If your damaging the land with salt or cutting up trees to make an area or blind for it then that is a different story. But it is 100% legal...see the other post to view the law. Think about it...if hunting over bait was illegal then we wouldn't be able to hunt over water holes or oak groves etc.

You, really going to compare natural food sources and water to dragging out bags of sweet feed, corn, deer cane or what ever you flavor is, that is one of the dumbest pro baiting arguments I have heard. .

• Like 1

Part of the reason people are saying it's a gray area or that it's illegal in unit 33, has to do with this USFS rule regarding the coronado national forest. I believe this one came about because of the bear mauling on mt lemmon years ago. I haven't seen the map of the area that this rule applies to. if someone has it, post it up. Maybe it only applies to Mt Lemmon?

Please keep in mind that although AGFD doesn't currently make baiting illegal (except for bears), this rule sure seems to for USFS land on the Coronado (not sure of the boundary this rule applies to).

Amanda, when I showed that Order you posted above to Coronado Forest Service LEO's, they had never heard of that order or seen a copy of it before.

It says you are exempt if you have a permit that authorizes it.

Example - a deer tag.

• Like 1