Sign in to follow this  
swaro06

Unit 1 Youth cow Hunt

My Daughter has a youth Cow hunt this coming Friday. We have spent the last two weekends scouting and we seen very little Elk. one small herld of 5 that had 2 bulls. We put alot of miles from big lake fr229 e FR 409. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure you have already recieved some good advice but generally some of the areas that were burnt the worst seem to be holding the most elk. Also the Game and Fish will be having a Jr. elk camp off the 117 road about a mile north of Hwy 260. If you still need some help feel free to stop in and talk to the folks there. They are also cooking up lunch and dinner for anyone who stops by. Finally if you get one down and need help getting it out stop by and they will assist with that as well.

Aaron

You must have been getting a string of bad luck, keep at it your luck will turn out. I've never went up to unit 1 or 27 and not see elk.

I'll be up there camped somewhere near Buffalo Crossing. Look for a blue Expedition. My 2 oldest boys have the 27 youth deer tag AND the Unit 1 cow tag, so we're going to go for deer first, elk second. If you can find bugles, you'll find cows. The big boys are done and the smaller bulls are going to be actively tyring to make the best of it.

Find a well used trail that goes into thick North slopes. Walk the trail slowly and quietly. Many times you'll walk right into their beds and if you keep your eyes peeled ahead of you, you should get a shot. Good luck to your daughter.

Headed up sometime today. According to the weather it is going to be raining all day friday. Saturday is suppose to be sunny so looks like the first day may be a bust.......

Good luck Lex and Preston.

Sawro6 let us know how you all do.

Jeff