Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

Need good bino's, your opinion counts!

Got drawn for Whitetail hunt in 35a Oct. hunt, been wanting new binoculars I figure nows a good time. I would like to stay under $500.00 if possible. :unsure:

Nikon Monarch 12 X 56

The difference between 12 and 15 mag x is about 30 ft. at 1,000 yards

mulie hunter, I went to the Sportsmans in Mesa and the biggest they had where the 12x42, the guy told me that they were supposed to get the 12x56 a month ago. He said they're coming but doesn't know when. If you look them up on Cabela's website it shows what options you have with the Monarchs. I think I might like to investigate a little more before I buy them, I think it's easy to be impressed inside the store. Does anybody know about the return policies???? I would like to be able to take them out in the field and then have the option of taking them back if I am not satisfied. I know the quality of the swaros because my dad just got some 15x56's last fall. I would like to get some swaros but I just don't know if I can bring myself to spend that much. Anybody know of any good sales on swaros out there????? I know they have them on sale every now and then. If I do end up getting swaros I'd get the 10x50.

I just got the nikon monarch 12x42 for my brother in law for his birthday and they are a great glass. I have looked through the 10x42s last elk season and they are a great glass as well. I think i will replace my old trusty binos with the 10x 42s and the 12x 56's as soon as sportsmans gets them in. Cabelas had them on thursday but i will not make the drive just for those.

I bought a Nikon spotting scope two years ago really liked the optics for the money, last year i bought Nikon binos and have been very pleased with them also. It is hard to find good glass at a decent price but I think Nikon does just that. My two cents.

With the exception of my 15X Swaros, I have switched to Nikon for everything. You really are trying to split hairs when you compare Swaro, Zeiss and Leica to each other and to Nikon's high end stuff.

Nikon can be more competitive on the prices because the US dollar is worth more in Japan and labor costs in Japan are less than Europe.

Just something to think about. CB

I got a pair of the Nikon 12x42 last March. I really like them.

For the price I don't think you can go wrong.

Lee

I do not own a pair of Nikon's, but their warranty is the best in the business.

Redman2002

Go somewhere that offers a bunch of different brands and take your time looking through all of them. You just have to find something that your eyes agree with otherwise you'll have a headache partway through each day of your hunt.

Good luck.

Got drawn for Whitetail hunt in 35a Oct. hunt, been wanting new binoculars I figure nows a good time. I would like to stay under $500.00 if possible. ;)

i bought a pair of swarovskies 15x56 from eurooptic.comor maybe eurooptics.com , the best way is google euro optic i paid 1500.00+ shipping that is a 500.00 save from any store, check it out.

cacciatore

ONLY A RICH MAN CAN AFFORD CHEAP BINOCULARS!!!

This is so true, save your money and buy the best.

The hardest part will be getting your wife to understand.

I am also looking at Binos but How is Steiner for clarity over long range? How do they compare to the more expensive brands like zeiss and swarovs? They are a little cheaper but what is the quality like? I have thought about getting some but dont want to go cheap, but really cant affort the high dollar binos.

mulie hunter,

I looked through a pair of Nikon Monarchs 12 X 50's at Cabela's this weekend. I was there with 2 friends. Between the 3 of us we own Swarosvskis, Leicas and Minox. We were all very impressed with the quality of the Monarchs for the price. Very clear, crisp image, pretty good brightness and clean image out to the edges of the view (a classic problem with many inexpensive binos is fuzzy edges to the sight-picture. For the $429 Cabelas was asking I wouldn't hesitate to buy them or the 10 power monarchs $379? if I just could not afford the more expensive glass.

Lee

Mulie Hunter,

I've been following your post and I fall into the same category, except I have a 36 B - December whitetail tag.

I went on ebay today and bought (sight unseen) the Nikon Monarch ATB 12x56 binos for $326.50 shipped to my door insured. I called Nikon and this guy is a legit Nikon dealer. I have no connection to him other than saving between $125.00-$175.00 off of what they would cost anywhere in the valley.

http://stores.ebay.com/Wilderness-Sports

He had 4 pairs and they all sold today.. (bet he'll relist more)....

Anyway thought you might want to check him out and save yourself a few bucks. These are so new that the retail alone was $430.00 plus tax... & they're not even in the shops... Don't they know it's time to Scout?? ;)

When they come in the mail I'll let you know more, but they were exactly what I was looking for Coues Country...

Good luck!

Doug Az P&Y

I know you said under $500.00, but if you do save up for the highend stuff don't over look Leica. Swarovski makes great glass but Leica is just as comparable now. (actually better for me due to the 15X56 Swaro's not fitting my beady eyes right) I bought the 10-15x50's...well worth the money and I don't have to pack 2 pair of glasses. Take them all outside...side by side and look at a mountain that represents what you want them for. Probably need a proshop and not Cabelas/Sportsman for this. You WILL see a big difference in $500 vs. more.