Sign in to follow this  
Devil Diver Down

Anyone still hearing bugles?

My oldest has his first elk hunt starting Friday - the junior cow hunt in 6A. I know the unit pretty well - scouted and hunted it hard during the archery season. I'm afraid my son is starting to come down with a chest cold, so I'm hoping some of the bulls are still bugling that will make it easier to locate cows.

Still quite a bit of bugling early and late in unit 1. Bulls are not real hot, but we were able to call a couple in and get some video.

My oldest has his first elk hunt starting Friday - the junior cow hunt in 6A. I know the unit pretty well - scouted and hunted it hard during the archery season. I'm afraid my son is starting to come down with a chest cold, so I'm hoping some of the bulls are still bugling that will make it easier to locate cows.

I just posted this in another thread but I just got back and the rut should be in full swing with this cold snap. The bulls were not looking to fight very much but did come into cow calls. You should have a heck of a time up there. My 3 little cousins drew the same tag so we'll probably see you up there! Good Luck

Plenty of bugling in 23N last night and this morning.

We must be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Haven't heard a peep. Wind and snow were blowing too hard Friday morning to hear anything other than the temperature dropping. Nothing in the evening or this morning either in spots I was into elk every day during archery.

Were you seeing any sign? Last weekend I was camped off Stoneman Lake Road and the Bulls were active. We also camped just south of Morman Mtn and the result was the same. Bugles from about 8pm to 8am.

We must be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Haven't heard a peep. Wind and snow were blowing too hard Friday morning to hear anything other than the temperature dropping. Nothing in the evening or this morning either in spots I was into elk every day during archery.

I am no expert but just got back from that area again and Mormon Mt. is not producing the elk movement that I have seen in the past around the mountain itself. They are certainly there and I have heard them bugling but I think all the camping ect have pushed them pretty good already. I had to get off the beaten path a good distance before I was in a bunch and they were rutting pretty good all day.

I just got back from 5BS, my old man and I filled our tags early on opening morning while the bulls were bugleing, we were not to far south of mormon lake and there was elk everywhere. It got a little slower and most elk are off the flats and in the canyons and the larger mtns. good luck!

Back in town with tag in pocket. :angry: Brutal weather Thursday/Friday didn't help my son's cold, so we cut today short.

We did hear one bull bugling at first light this morning but couldn't get a shot on his cows. We sat a bedding area late morning and had a nice 6x6 walk by us @ 25 yards. He must have gotten his butt whipped sparring because he didn't have any cows with him - I saw at least 30 smaller bulls than him with at least a few cows during my archery hunt.

Thanks for the replies and congrats to all the young hunters who had a great time - tag soup or tag filled!

Still quaacking in both units #1 and #27. They normally do up until almost November but things are different since the fire. We'll see how long it lasts this year as the rut was earliest in history.