GotBowAz

Pack animals??

Hi folks,

I'm considering purchasing some kind of a pack animal and would like to hear any or all suggestions. Whether it’s pack goats, horses, mules, donkey’s lamas etc. etc.. I’d like to hear your thoughts on what and why you feel one type of animal is best and this would include not only packing but to take care of and year around maintenance. I am no stranger to farm animals and maintenance. Just want to hear your take on/experience with pack animals if you have any.

I’d like to hear your thoughts on leaving the pack animal unattended while your off hunting in bear and lion areas. My thoughts on that is I wouldn’t. I would pack in my gear, stash it well before the hunt then just hike in my bow and food only leaving the pack animal at home. Then reverse it after my hunt is over.

Maybe all the work isn’t necessary which is why I am posing the questions. They keep closing off more roads I will have to resort to this to get my 70 year old hunting partner back in where we like to hunt for elk. Hopefully I can extend his hunting time a few more years this way.

I also hunt wilderness areas and I'm not getting any younger myself. I just packed 5 miles a week ago on an over nighter and I felt it in my knees for a couple of days . But I had a pretty heavy pack as I had my wife come along and I wanted to make her have an enjoyable trip and make it as comfortable as I could for her. It would have been great to have a pack animal that could carry at least minimum of 60 pounds with us.

Any thoughts?

GBA

I would do Mules, then horses. I have left them tied up while I hunted. Just make sure the rope is tight or they'll bolt for home at the first chance. Always a chance a critter will get em, just part of the equation so don't get personally attached and treat them like the beast of burden they are.

I'm no cowboy and have only done it a few times, leased them from an Outfitter. Fun, but a lot of work.

I have a buddy with pack goats!!! They are bad A! Pm me if your interested and ill give you his name and number.

Vowell PM sent.

Does anyone else have any experiences with goats or any other type of pack animals?

I have a cousin that uses pack goats to hunt wilderness areas in Oregon.

I also have a close friend here in AZ who uses llamas.

Goats, and llamas for that matter, are much easier to keep than horses or mules. This applies not only at the "farm" but also out in the field. Its not necessary to bring in food for them as you would have to do with equines. My friends bring a little sweet feed along just in case one of the critters goes rogue and you have to coax him back in.

That being said you'd obviously more of them since they cant pack near the weight good mule can. And llamas can be just as independent minded as mules especially when they get tired. IMO.

Google pack goats youll find a ton of info.

I've actually considered the goat idea myself for many of the same reasons you had.

I have used horses and mules for packing quite a bit. We used them in the backcountry in Idaho. They can pack a lot more weight then a goat or llama and you don't have to shear them like you would a llama. The only down side is the cost of feed and if you are going to be in rocky country you are going to have to keep shoes on them. The upside is it only take to good sized mules or horses to pack a bull and if you get hurt and are still able to get on them they can pack you out. For the most part horses and mules will stand tied all day and be just fine just make sure you tie them so they can't get a leg over the lead and i recomend tying them with a bowline knot instead of a standard slip not.

You can get some decent horses at the auction for little to nothing now a days. Then all you need would be a couple of saw buck or decker pack saddles and four panyard bags. If you decide to go that route let me know and i can show you how to pack them with either saddle.

• Like 1

I always get laughed at when I talk about buying pack goats. They are light, easy to feed on the trail and at home, they can go anywhere, you usually dont have to lead them, they dont drink much, and the fit in the back of your truck. you can still do the walking, the goats are the way to. The down side is that they run to you when the get scared and I've heard stories of them doing rain dances on cars.

However, in your situation it sounds like you would benifit from an animal that can be ridden.

Both my hunting partner and i can walk for miles. Matter of fact he is in better shape than most 40 year olds I know. I am a wrestling coach so I stay in great shape myself but carrying 60 plus pounds in a 5 mile trip got to my knees. Without the weight I can go all day without a problem.

I have pondered goats for a long time but I don't have any experiences with pack goats on the trail. I hear all kinds of great things about them though and they sound like they are what I'm looking for but what are they going to set me back? They cant carry as much so i need more, which also mean more panniers. However I hear the costs of horse or mules are plenty high specially for shoeing and vets bills. I like the idea of putting goats in the truck bed or a trailer verse buying a horse or stock trailer too.

Thanks for all the input. I didn't go to any certain pack animal websites because I wanted to hear from first hand users of different animals before I dug into specific ones. You guys have given me options to think about before spending cash on something and finding out I should have thought it through a little more.

GBA

Two other benifits of goats.

They will take care of your weeds during the off season and you don't have to worry about getting kicked in the head.

Nothing beats a GOOD mule. Mine goes up mountains like its flat ground and I don't ever worry about getting kicked in the head.costs me about 100$ a month to feed and shoe him.(front shoes only). For an elk hunt you are going to need more horsepower than a goat or a lamma to get the meat off the mountain imo.Its not cheap or easy having horses or mules but if your into hunting the backcountry it can open up alot of doors.

They carry more weight on their front feet and pull with their front end.A horse gets most of its power by pushing with its hindquarters from what I understand. My buddy has 3 mules and they are all barefoot.He rides them everywhere with no problems.It just depends on how good the animals feet are. Some need shoes front and rear.We have a little Mustang and her feet are harder than chinese algebra. -no shoes on her.

I wish I had a place to put goats they seem awesome from what I have seen and read. And mules are awesome but take even more room.

If anyone knows of anyone that rents goats or is looking for partner to share the expense let me know. I just don't have any room to keep them.

Here are some pics. These little guys go anywhere, and carry alot of weight! The deer seem to like them to, holding long enough to make the shot!

post-2686-0-38382600-1350526870.jpg

post-2686-0-67391000-1350526878.jpg

post-2686-0-15803100-1350526912.jpg

In training

post-2686-0-82479600-1350526902.jpg

• Like 4