Sign in to follow this  
YoungHuntr

Question on Field Dressing

Hey all. I just have one question on field dressing. If I get a cow elk down it may be necessary for me to field dress it myself if I don't have any help around. I've been watching several videos and really want to do a good job because if I get an elk I don't want any waste, spoiled meat, etc...

Most if it seems pretty simple. One thing I am not certain about is the pelvic bone. Is it really necessary to split the pelvic bone for quartering, or can it be skipped?

Also, to clear the anal tract from the animal without opening the pelvice bone, how is that accomplished?

I suppose you could ream it with a knife and then pull it out with the other entrails.

I have been using this video as a guide. it is the best I have found (for free on the web). Taking out the windpipe with the other organs makes it a lot neater process than some of the others.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NEWSMEDIA/VIDEOS/Pages/FieldDressBigGame.aspx

Sorry for the idiotic question, I want to do a good job. ;)

Here is a great video from Jay Scott and his guys. If you're by yourself then this is the way to go. Look on youtube for videos on "Indian quartering" as well.

http://jayscottoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/11/gutless-field-dressing-by-janis-putelis.html

Here is a great video from Jay Scott and his guys. If you're by yourself then this is the way to go. Look on youtube for videos on "Indian quartering" as well.

http://jayscottoutdo...is-putelis.html

I used this method on two elk this year and I'm sold on the technique. One elk was shot quartering and the shot hit quit a bit of the gut. No need to open up the gut and get that mess everywhere. This technique works great for my style of hunting where there is no chance to get a veh. or atv to the animal.

Gutless is the way to go..works great for all the big critters,even javelina..no muss..almost no mess. it will also save your back and with an elk,if your solo ,it reduces the odds of a knife injury. Just remember to get the tenderloins from under the spine. good luck

• Like 1

Once you use the gutless method you probably will never go back. 2 bull elk sold me. The first was a learning experience the second was easy. bhuntin makes an excellent point. Don't forget the tenderloins.The meat stays cleaner and you won't need to put your boots in the back of your truck for the ride back to camp or home. I used the method on my javelina this year and it was a breeze. You Tube has very good videos on this method.

Go for it!!!

• Like 1

If you are taking the animal to a processor and have a way of directly loading into the back of the truck use the traditional gutting method. You can leave the skin on only if the processor is really close( keepers it cleaner). If you have to cary it any distance use the gutless method.

To answer your other question, you don't have to cut/ crack the pelvis to remove the bowels. Just use your finger to seperation it from the pelvis, cut where necessary , tie it off with a piece of string and pull it thru.

Gutless if the way to go. To make it easier have a game bags and a small tarp handy. It will help keep the meat cleaner. There is a great video on elk101.com.

Steve