Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Check out my camp! Figured this pic says it all!

Jim, awesome buck and even better that you were willing to take someone in to harvest it. That’s got to be the most selfless act of any hunter I have ever known. I'm shocked you didn’t kept that gnarly buck all to yourself. Good on you and great job getting your hunting buddy in on it.

I love the camp and back packing hunts are my favorite hunts to do. Those Mountain House foods are great aren’t they? Some Whitetail buck back straps would really go great with them too!

Congrats!

GBA

Tiger Woods, RGIII, Jim Mullins! You are incredible my friend!

Thanks again all! I'll get story and pics up as soon as I can. I've got a muzzy Kaibab tag burnin' a hole in my pocket right now and trying to switch gears as fast as I can!

Kevin, this buck is at least 8 years old and quite possibly a little older. I put the sheds that he dropped in 2009 up against him yesterday and it's absolutely amazing how much of his character traits stayed the same from then till now. He's obviously much heavier and bigger overall but the sheds fit like puzzle pieces against his current frame! The dropper was the main difference as it was just an upright inline in the 2008 rack.

Shorty, yer nuts dude, I learned from you!

GBA, This was the 3rd client I've taken in there trying to kill this buck. I know there are several guides out there that would never take a client, or a friend or even a family member, into a spot where they know a really big buck lives. You can look at their portfolio's, borochures or websites and easily see who's sittin' behind the biggest critters and that'll tell you all you need to know. There's nothing wrong with that and most clients don't pay attention to or even think about that, but they probably should! I make a living at guiding and to be the best I can be to my clients I need to give them the best I have. I get all the satisfaction I need out of just knowing I had a big part in creating the experience for somebody, I don't need to be the one pullin' the trigger or the guy with the biggest collection. I just love the hunt! Thanks for the kind comments and yes, the Mountain House is good eatin', except for the beef stew, I can do without that one!

I'll try to get a story up asap, thanks again all!

• Like 1

Thanks again all! I'll get story and pics up as soon as I can. I've got a muzzy Kaibab tag burnin' a hole in my pocket right now and trying to switch gears as fast as I can!

Kevin, this buck is at least 8 years old and quite possibly a little older. I put the sheds that he dropped in 2009 up against him yesterday and it's absolutely amazing how much of his character traits stayed the same from then till now. He's obviously much heavier and bigger overall but the sheds fit like puzzle pieces against his current frame! The dropper was the main difference as it was just an upright inline in the 2008 rack.

Shorty, yer nuts dude, I learned from you!

GBA, This was the 3rd client I've taken in there trying to kill this buck. I know there are several guides out there that would never take a client, or a friend or even a family member, into a spot where they know a really big buck lives. You can look at their portfolio's, borochures or websites and easily see who's sittin' behind the biggest critters and that'll tell you all you need to know. There's nothing wrong with that and most clients don't pay attention to or even think about that, but they probably should! I make a living at guiding and to be the best I can be to my clients I need to give them the best I have. I get all the satisfaction I need out of just knowing I had a big part in creating the experience for somebody, I don't need to be the one pullin' the trigger or the guy with the biggest collection. I just love the hunt! Thanks for the kind comments and yes, the Mountain House is good eatin', except for the beef stew, I can do without that one!

I'll try to get a story up asap, thanks again all!

Couldn't agree more with your last few sentences. Nicely done!

That's awesome Jim. Nothing better than having some history with a deer, and harvesting him after his prime. We guessed my big deer at 5 1/2 and it still kills me to think what he may have turned into. No way I would have passed him, but I still dream about him with some years on him.

. I know there are several guides out there that would never take a client, or a friend or even a family member, into a spot where they know a really big buck lives. You can look at their portfolio's, borochures or websites and easily see who's sittin' behind the biggest critters and that'll tell you all you need to know. There's nothing wrong with that and most clients don't pay attention to or even think about that, but they probably should! I make a living at guiding and to be the best I can be to my clients I need to give them the best I have. I get all the satisfaction I need out of just knowing I had a big part in creating the experience for somebody, I don't need to be the one pullin' the trigger or the guy with the biggest collection. I just love the hunt!

Now THAT is what you look for in a guide. I admire the fact that you have killed some monster bulls and great bucks, but it's never been you behind the trigger. Nothing turns me off more than when you look at an outfitter's website and its the guide killing all the big trophies. Some are on this site. Big time congrats Jim on a great buck - Looking forward to the story and MORE PICS!!!

There is no doubt Jim is a great guide! I'd like to add a kudo's to the client on this one because most clients don't have what it takes to achieve this accomplishment. Jim told me how tough this hunt was and I know from experience if he says it was tough then it must be pretty rough. Great teamwork on both of your parts! Wish I could have been there!

That is an awesome camp pic, one that I hope to duplicate later this year. The only complaint I have it that I can't see the buck that great. You need to post some closer pics of the buck. Way to get it done though and you gotta love the backpack hunts and the sense of accomplishment that they can produce.

Aaron

Wow! That is an awesome rack.