STOMP442

Long Range Dink 1,243 yards

Shot like a champ. 1/2 groups at 100 yards and a velocity of 3600fps with 36 grains of 4064. I have a bunch loaded up for coyotes this winter. Thanks again for letting me try a few.

I did some shooting today to get set up for my upcoming hunt. I'm just trying to understand what my limits are at various ranges under different circumstances.

I know, my own limit is around 500 yards. Lying prone with a bipod I know where my bullets will hit at that range with two different guns. Using deer-sized targets, actually “anatomically correct” targets that closely resembled deer, and using the point of the elbow, the bottom of the belly, the natural upper line of the back, at 300, 400, 500 yards I could say with either gun at any range out to 500 yards, I could shoot with confidence.

Other guys can shoot that well at twice the distance I practice.

My hat is off to them. Long range shooting is an acquired skill, and it takes a lot of work, a lot of time, and a huge learning curve. Plus the right equipment.

One thing I learned today, I’m far more deadly at 400-500 yards off a bipod, prone, than I am at 175 yards off-hand. Something to think about.

Awesome shooting. I work with a client who makes guns for a show called Extreme Outer limits. They know their stuff, they practice the distance, they are pushing the edge of conventional thinking. They also don't miss. IF you know the gun, know the distance, know the wind, and are confident... go for it. It's WAY beyond my shooting, but I don't put in the time they do... or have the equipment to do it.

• Like 1

There are a lot of arrogant people out there on the topic of long range. These folks do not realize how much time and effort is spent by us long range shooters fine tuning our equipment and building drop charts for the exact temperature. Just like the last poster said, "we are much more accurate laying down with a bipod at 500 yards then we are free handed from 150 yards". Another poster commeneted that most guys go tot he shooting range shoot 3 bullets at 100 yards and as long as they can hit a pie plate its all good. I fine tune my bullets and I wont even keep a gun unless the bullets are all touching at 100 yards. That equates to about a 3 inch group at 600 yards. That better than what most any guy can do free handed at 100 yards. Therefore all you guys need to realize the difference in how we prepare for these hunts. This year I shot a bear at 688 yards, I didnt know if I hit him and to answer a question posted earlier "yes I did go across the nasties canyon you could find to ensure I hit the bear or not". I did find my bear and filled my tag. Most all long range hunters will agree that we do not shoot at these animals unless we are willing to go look for the animal. I hope this opened up your mind a little bit and you all understand the time and effort that goes into long range shooting. We dont just go buy a rem 700 with a bushnell scope and take some corelokts out and shoot 700 yards. Long range shooting is a whole nother challenge in itself that adds to the fun of hunting.

• Like 2

I think the key here is getting to a distance that you are comfortable with. Some people are only comfortable to 300 yards some have put in the time and have pushed the comfort level out a lot further. My comfort level is 900 yards. That doesn't mean that if I see a bedded buck at 900 yards Im going to start shooting. If I can cut the distance, I will. I shot my elk this year at 864 yards. We had put alot of work on this particular bull and knew once he got away from us we were never going to see him again. There were too many hunters that were hunting in that area and they were going to bump him in his bed. So we made the decision to take the shot. If I hadnt prepared at these distances this bull would have definatly got away. If I had listned to some other people that said dont bother practicing at those ranges for elk because you will probably have a shot at under 200 yards I wouldnt have been able to take the shot. That being said I just shot my best buck to date at 150 yards. Its only unethical if you are shooting beyond your comfort level and capabilities.

I can't believe how many people are defend finding this guy for shooting that distance. Looking at the picture he posted there are a lot of different hills the shooter could have moved to to get to a reasonable shooting distance. Its a hunters responsibility to get as close as possible before setting up for a shot. I Dont care how good you think you are you Dont shoot that far at an animal.

I can't believe you shoot the kind of equipment you do. It is a hunters responsibility to buy better equipment than that crap you shoot. I don;t care how good you think you are. Don't shoot that kind of crap at an animal.

HA! HA!

• Like 2

Sweet! I am getting those type of groups too with Varget and 8208xbr.

Jeff

I can't believe how many people are defend finding this guy for shooting that distance. Looking at the picture he posted there are a lot of different hills the shooter could have moved to to get to a reasonable shooting distance. Its a hunters responsibility to get as close as possible before setting up for a shot. I Dont care how good you think you are you Dont shoot that far at an animal.

I can't believe you shoot the kind of equipment you do. It is a hunters responsibility to buy better equipment than that crap you shoot. I don;t care how good you think you are. Don't shoot that kind of crap at an animal.

HA! HA!

Sounds like you have been thinking a lot about my "equipment", please think/fantasize about someone else's "equipment" from now on, id rather not be involved, but no need to worry, mine works fine.

Some of you guys are worse than a sewing circle. Everyone on here should know THEIR OWN limitations,and keep others' out of it. Period. I follow the rule "never take a shot that you wouldn't be surprised if you miss". That and practice enough to have confidence in your setup is all you can ask of anyone.

• Like 1

Opinions are like a$$ oles. Every body has one, and they all stink.

I would never take a shot that far, even if I were capable, which I'm not, there is just too much that can go wrong with that shot. Even if you've practiced at that distance a thousand times, up slope draft, cross wind between you and the animal, swirling wind patterns, the coriolis effect, too much can go wrong to insure a definite humane kill. I'm glad the shot was successful, but for myself, if I can't get closer, I don't fill my tag, period. Impressive shooting though.