STOMP442

Long Range Dink 1,243 yards

I can't believe how many people are defend finding this guy for shooting that distance. Looking at the picture he posted there are a lot of different hills the shooter could have moved to to get to a reasonable shooting distance. Its a hunters responsibility to get as close as possible before setting up for a shot. I Dont care how good you think you are you Dont shoot that far at an animal.

I don't remember reading that section of my hunting hand book that says hunters are obligated to get as close as possible???? I must have missed that page. Because there isn't one and ur going off ur opinion witch is this case is bashing another hunters success .. Keep it to urself or cry to ur wife about it but let this guy enjoy his tag filled!!!!!! I'm guessing that military snipers shoud get closer as well cause that's not fair that the people don't know where they are...lol... He did what he was supposed to do make a clean kill shot! Period!!!!

• Like 2

It was used as analogy. Analogy def= a comparison between two things with similar structure. Is case u didn't know

I can't believe how many people are defend finding this guy for shooting that distance. Looking at the picture he posted there are a lot of different hills the shooter could have moved to to get to a reasonable shooting distance. Its a hunters responsibility to get as close as possible before setting up for a shot. I Dont care how good you think you are you Dont shoot that far at an animal.

I don't remember reading that section of my hunting hand book that says hunters are obligated to get as close as possible???? I must have missed that page.

Maybe It's in the same chapter that defines what is too far to shoot? Book must have been written by a group of "REAL HUNTERS"

By the way...who DOES get to decide how far is too far?

Obviously, some people here are in the group that decides these things.

How do you become a member?

Good to see the ethics police are still patrolling. They always seem to chime in on this issue.

Amanda usually likes us to move these debates to another thread so maybe we should do that with this one. There are several issues that have been brought up that are worthy of discussion.

1. Hunter Safety - In hunter safety we are taught to make sure of our backdrop and that we have a clear path between the rifle and the target. If this deer would have been skylined I would question the shot but there was clearly a clear path for the shot and a solid backdrop.

2. Shot Distance Ethics - This topic is very gray and has been debated on the forum many times. What is an ethical shot and what isn't? Does it have to do with the probability that you can make a clean kill? What is the proper probability? 5 out of10? 7,8,9,10 out of 10? A lot goes into a 1,200 yard shot...bullet drop, wind, angle, altitude, temperature, spin of the earth, etc. Rifles are precise tools and with the right equipment and understanding of conditions and physics they can do some pretty amazing things. A shot like that takes the right equipment COMBINED with the well practiced shooter. My long range rifle has killed animals at 710, 540, 506, 500, 490, 305, 300, 250 and down. NOT ONE animal has been wounded and not recovered. The only animal I have wounded and not recovered was with a muzzleloader...at 58 yards. We would like to think that every shot is going to be a heart shot instant kill but this is just not realistic. The G&F supposedly accounts for unrecovered wounded animals when allotting tag numbers and there is many a half-starved scavenger/predator that is happy to find a meal. I am not condoning wounding animals, just saying that it is part of the equation whether we like it or not. I think it is pretty much a fact that archery hunters wound more animals per tag than rifle hunters. What about the guys that "bird dog" for deer...4 hunters in a line beating the brush? Every shot is a running shot. Are they always aware of their back drop and making high probability shots? They are the ones that scare me, not long distance guys. The hunter in this case put the time and money into his ability to make a shot like this and proved that he could be making it. Much more ethical than the guy that goes and blows a few holes in the old TV at fifty yds and calls his gun sited in.

3. Getting Closer

As we all know, the closer the shot, the higher probability of a clean kill, but....deer don't stand in the same place all day, other hunters move into the area etc. I see one hill in the photo that would have provided a closer shot but it looks to me like it would have taken a good deal of time to get there and would have still provided a long shot. Getting closer is always one of those heat of the moment key decisions "do I risk getting getting no shot to get closer for a better shot or take the shot that I have now?"

Congrats to the hunter on a great shot! I would have let him walk and grow up for next year but that is a whole different "ethics" debate;)

Good to see the ethics police are still patrolling. They always seem to chime in on this issue.

Amanda usually likes us to move these debates to another thread so maybe we should do that with this one. There are several issues that have been brought up that are worthy of discussion.

1. Hunter Safety - In hunter safety we are taught to make sure of our backdrop and that we have a clear path between the rifle and the target. If this deer would have been skylined I would question the shot but there was clearly a clear path for the shot and a solid backdrop.

2. Shot Distance Ethics - This topic is very gray and has been debated on the forum many times. What is an ethical shot and what isn't? Does it have to do with the probability that you can make a clean kill? What is the proper probability? 5 out of10? 7,8,9,10 out of 10? A lot goes into a 1,200 yard shot...bullet drop, wind, angle, altitude, temperature, spin of the earth, etc. Rifles are precise tools and with the right equipment and understanding of conditions and physics they can do some pretty amazing things. A shot like that takes the right equipment COMBINED with the well practiced shooter. My long range rifle has killed animals at 710, 540, 506, 500, 490, 305, 300, 250 and down. NOT ONE animal has been wounded and not recovered. The only animal I have wounded and not recovered was with a muzzleloader...at 58 yards. We would like to think that every shot is going to be a heart shot instant kill but this is just not realistic. The G&F supposedly accounts for unrecovered wounded animals when allotting tag numbers and there is many a half-starved scavenger/predator that is happy to find a meal. I am not condoning wounding animals, just saying that it is part of the equation whether we like it or not. I think it is pretty much a fact that archery hunters wound more animals per tag than rifle hunters. What about the guys that "bird dog" for deer...4 hunters in a line beating the brush? Every shot is a running shot. Are they always aware of their back drop and making high probability shots? They are the ones that scare me, not long distance guys. The hunter in this case put the time and money into his ability to make a shot like this and proved that he could be making it. Much more ethical than the guy that goes and blows a few holes in the old TV at fifty yds and calls his gun sited in.

3. Getting Closer

As we all know, the closer the shot, the higher probability of a clean kill, but....deer don't stand in the same place all day, other hunters move into the area etc. I see one hill in the photo that would have provided a closer shot but it looks to me like it would have taken a good deal of time to get there and would have still provided a long shot. Getting closer is always one of those heat of the moment key decisions "do I risk getting getting no shot to get closer for a better shot or take the shot that I have now?"

Congrats to the hunter on a great shot! I would have let him walk and grow up for next year but that is a whole different "ethics" debate;)

+1

Guest 300ultramag.

the ethics police lol! I am a bonafide long range hunter (just ask me how good, and i will tell you) LMAO

I hunt with 10 power binos and with this set up it basically dictates how far I will be "sending" to reach my quarry.

these guys are on 20x which gives them more reach. as long as the range finder and the rifle are up to speed with your glass I see no issues with the shot.

This is a greast shot agreed!

Lots of variables with a shot like this... if the weather permits, why not? (if you have the equipment)

My concern is dont bite off more than you can chew! Shooting such distances may force you to traverse unkown country (or a canyon) that is a lot bigger or steepr than what it appears on google earth. If you spike your temperature out in the desrert there is not enough water in the world that will get you back to the truck you will die packing out.. if not you will be paying for rescue efforts and a hefty helicopter ride.

Temps are always cool in the mornings but 80+ degrees mid -day packing out a deer/bear/lion you cant get out of the sun and this can lead to heat exhaustion or heat related illnesses.

be safe and good shot!

Great SHOT. GOOD EYES on seeing the horns :) and next year show as a 1500 yards shot :) that's a good round 6.5 :)

i almost forgot .. IGNOREEEEE the HATERSSSS :)))

I can't believe how many people are defend finding this guy for shooting that distance. Looking at the picture he posted there are a lot of diffe shooter could have moved to to get to a reasonable shooting distance. Its a hunters responsibility to get as close as possible before setting up for a shot. I Dont care how good you think you are you Dont shoot that far at an animal.

I don't remember reading that section of my hunting hand book that says hunters are obligated to get as close as possible???? I must have missed that page. Because there isn't one and ur going off ur opinion witch is this case is bashshing another hunters success .. Keep it to urself or cry to ur wife about it but let this guy enjoy his tag filled!!!!!! I'm guessing that military snipers shoud get closer as well cause that's not fair that the people don't know where they are...lol... He did what he was supposed to do make a clean kill shot! Period!!!!

First of all if you need to read a hunting handbook to learn hunting ethics you are pathetic. Second Opinions are all anybody has on any of these forums so if you have a problem with mine too bad, if my opinions upset you so much maybe you should move to the rainbow pride forum instead. And yeah I Dont have a problem with this guy "enjoying" his tag its when he post the yardage and goes fishing for complements from the faithful Long range enthusiasts that I have a problem with and all of you encouraging him to do it again. And as for the military snipers I Dont care how far they are because they are shooting at threats not deer. I couldn't give a sh*t less if a towel head gets his leg or arm blown off. Its when I see deer gut shot or dead in thein the bottom of a canyon rotting or on 3 legs when I get p*ssed. maybe you are forgetting he missed the first shot! PERIOD.

Reasonable is such a subjective word. Some people will just never get that. Their world ends at the end of their noses and cannot understand what reasonable means to anybody else. What is reasonable? Is 100 yards reasonable? Is 200? Is 300? Where do you draw the line? I draw the line in the sand where my skills end. That may change from day to day depending on conditions. Where do your skills end?

Most of the 3 legged deer out there are from 100 yard off hand shots. Many of those are missed on the first shot too.

• Like 3

Reasonable is such a subjective word. Some people will just never get that. Their world ends at the end of their noses and cannot understand what reasonable means to anybody else. What is reasonable? Is 100 yards reasonable? Is 200? Is 300? Where do you draw the line? I draw the line in the sand where my skills end. That may change from day to day depending on conditions. Where do your skills end?

agree and like I said....who gets to decide the limit of my shooting range? The Internet jockeys?

Who is on that committee and how do I become a member?

I can't believe how many people are defend finding this guy for shooting that distance. Looking at the picture he posted there are a lot of diffe shooter could have moved to to get to a reasonable shooting distance. Its a hunters responsibility to get as close as possible before setting up for a shot. I Dont care how good you think you are you Dont shoot that far at an animal.

I don't remember reading that section of my hunting hand book that says hunters are obligated to get as close as possible???? I must have missed that page. Because there isn't one and ur going off ur opinion witch is this case is bashshing another hunters success .. Keep it to urself or cry to ur wife about it but let this guy enjoy his tag filled!!!!!! I'm guessing that military snipers shoud get closer as well cause that's not fair that the people don't know where they are...lol... He did what he was supposed to do make a clean kill shot! Period!!!!

First of all if you need to read a hunting handbook to learn hunting ethics you are pathetic. Second Opinions are all anybody has on any of these forums so if you have a problem with mine too bad, if my opinions upset you so much maybe you should move to the rainbow pride forum instead. And yeah I Dont have a problem with this guy "enjoying" his tag its when he post the yardage and goes fishing for complements from the faithful Long range enthusiasts that I have a problem with and all of you encouraging him to do it again. And as for the military snipers I Dont care how far they are because they are shooting at threats not deer. I couldn't give a sh*t less if a towel head gets his leg or arm blown off. Its when I see deer gut shot or dead in thein the bottom of a canyon rotting or on 3 legs when I get p*ssed. maybe you are forgetting he missed the first shot! PERIOD.

Nice post! Dont most folks post yardage in their stories? Yes says I.

I see that if your a long range gay Iranian sniper there is no love lost!

Congratulations Clinton!! For people that put in as much time as you at the range, this shot seems reasonable. Personally, I don't have the skills or the gun set-up to do that. But as long as people shoot within their abilities and it's a safe shot, why not? So many deer are wounded at shorter distances, that it seems to me distance isn't the issue. The issue is knowing what you and your gun are capable of to pull of a clean kill.

• Like 2