Sign in to follow this  
gmcbob

Christmas Tree cutting

I thought it would be fun for the family, so I decided to buy a tree permit this year, area 1 of Apache Sitgreaves (Forest Lakes / Heber area).

I have never done this before. Anyone have any advice? How long will the tree last after cutting? General care or cutting tips? What kind or tree should I be looking for?

Thank You!

Bob

Usually the top of the tree is cut off to the size you need. I always put sugar water in the tree holder. I also misted the tree everyday with a spray bottle. It helped keep them from drying out to soon. Big fire hazard when they get dry.

When it looks 10' tall out in the woods......it is really 15'

Make sure you go prepared for weather and nasty roads.

Growing up in New Mexico we did Pinion Pine, but since we have been in Az I have tried to get a blue spruce....they have flat limbs and look awesome.

Don't pull a Chevy Chase and forget the saw or ax.

They literally will drink up as much water as you can give them in a day so don't forget to replenish the water.

One of the funnest family traditions we have in our family.....I buried my 79 ford in a bar ditch/snowbank one year....made my wife so mad.....I spent the next three hours digging out while her and Cole walked out and got the tree.......

Great memories........

Bob,

I havn't done that in years but when we did the permits usually said on them what kind of tree you were allowed to cut, Pinon, Spruce etc. Worst was getting a 2WD truck stuck in the forest for half an hour trying to put branches and whatever we could find under the tires. After getting completely worn out, cold and the sun going down my friend then decided to pull out the tire chains.

The truck drove out of the rut like it was on dry ground. I could have killed him right there.

Bob,

I havn't done that in years but when we did the permits usually said on them what kind of tree you were allowed to cut, Pinon, Spruce etc. Worst was getting a 2WD truck stuck in the forest for half an hour trying to put branches and whatever we could find under the tires. After getting completely worn out, cold and the sun going down my friend then decided to pull out the tire chains.

The truck drove out of the rut like it was on dry ground. I could have killed him right there.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Yes, included with the permit is informaiton on the different types of trees, but it's all Greek to me. I'll be sure to have my truck with me, 4wd.

Sounds like it shouldn't be too hard to get a tree - hope it works out!

When it looks 10' tall out in the woods......it is really 15'

Make sure you go prepared for weather and nasty roads.

Growing up in New Mexico we did Pinion Pine, but since we have been in Az I have tried to get a blue spruce....they have flat limbs and look awesome.

Don't pull a Chevy Chase and forget the saw or ax.

They literally will drink up as much water as you can give them in a day so don't forget to replenish the water.

One of the funnest family traditions we have in our family.....I buried my 79 ford in a bar ditch/snowbank one year....made my wife so mad.....I spent the next three hours digging out while her and Cole walked out and got the tree.......

Great memories........

+1 on being prepared for road conditions and on the size thing (They are always WAY bigger in the living-room! ;) )! We used to always cut pinons here in AZ, but also have since preferred spruce......

I'm 47 now, but since I was a tiny tike my family has made a tradition of cutting our own trees. Now I take my own kids..... Used to pick permits up OTC in Globe on the way to the annual event! LOL They used to give permits for pinons in the 7 Mile Wash area, and we always went there. We have always made a BIG picnic of it over the years. Guitars, afternoon campfire, chili, corn bread, coffee/cocoa and lots of fun! We usuallly go the first weekend or two of December. Great memories for sure, Non-Typical!

The one thing I think you'll find if you've never cut your own before is that as long as you keep it in water, it will be the most green/fresh tree you will ever have! The ones sold at Home Depot and the 'tree lots' have been cut already or are being cut as we speak! Cut your own the first week or two of December, and you'll have the best fresh tree you've ever had!!

Have fun gmcbob, and get a good one!

S.

:)

• Like 1