bigorange

First BB gun recommendations

BB guns have come a long way since I got my first one years ago...my son is 7 and will probably be getting his first one for Christmas this year. Ay recommendations out there on a good first BB gun. Not sure who'll be more excited between the two of us... :D

Depends on what you are looking for. Red Ryder's are nostalgic and all, but are lacking in quality and power. I started off with a Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, which is a step up IMO from the Ryder. I LOVED that gun, and that will likely be the gun I get my son when he's old enough. Not super powerful, but accurate as heck and I learned alot from shooting that gun. It will shoot pellets or BB's and has a resevoir for BB's. Also has kind of a bolt astion which is nice. The good thing about these two are they are open sights, which I feel is important for youngsters to learn well. Next level after that is Bejamin which I never had much luck with, and Gamo. Gamo's are very nice and will last your son a long time, but are more expensive - $100 min and up. After that you can get as crazy and spend as much as you want ;).

It's just gotta be an official Red Ryder .177 cal BB gun. That was my first and it was (and still is) the bane of many a small creature. We always bring ours to hunting camp and just have a blast! Grasshoppers, ants, lizards, they all get whacked! Got my first one when I was 8, and I got a new one for my 21st bday.

Red Ryder teaches the kids early how to use Iron Sights.

Honestly just the fact that you are gonna get him a BB gun..........that is the most important step..............I burned through so many BB guns as a kid and that was all I ever wanted for Christmas......pick one out that you like and let him have at it.

One warning.....it is tough to let them have their turn cause it brings back so many memories........you might want to get one for you and one for your boy so he can get some shooting in too.

Like Ralphies parents always said in Christmas Story, "you'll shoot your eye out". lol! Hard to beat the Red Ryder for a 1st.

My parents bought me a Red Ryder when I was probably six or eight. It couldn't hit squat and the BB's bounced off wood. I refused to use it and Dad was bummed and returned it. I doubt they have improved much since then.

That was 50+ years ago.

When my kids were growing up I let them shoot my 22's and by the age of 10 they each had a healthy respect of guns from shooting their first deer with a cut down 22-250 and my son got a SS 410 for his 10th birthday.