Sign in to follow this  
ForkHorn

Mineral Lick and Mule Deer

I have been reading through a lot of past threads on salt licks for coues. However, I have a special spot down in the desert for mulies.

I remember reading somewhere that Mule Deer seem to prefer the brown mineral/salt blocks to the plain white salt blocks. Anyone have any experience in this? Or the effectiveness of salt licks on mulies at all?

Thanks - ForkHorn

Since carp are pretty dumb.... just kidding! If I had to guess, I would think that the scent would attract them to either. It would be interesting to put two down side by side and see if they prefer one over the other.

bowsniper

Mule deer love bashas water softener salt pellets. Don't get the big salt blocks as the deer do not go for those as much from my experience. I've found that once that salt has soaked into the ground, they like to chew and paw the dirt/salt mixture more than the plain salt.

I liked to dig a hole, pour in a whole bag of trace mineral salt and pour 5 or 10 gallons of water on top, and let it soak in the ground. No salt blocks for someone to relocate on you. The brown trace mineral blocks should be of more value to the deer and have some molasses. Also harder for people to see than the white blocks.

From my experience establishing salt licks for carp, coues, or elk the number one most important factor is LOCATION!!! Salt is salt, it comes in different sizes, flavors and shapes, but if you put it in a poor location you will get poor results. Look for areas with lots of sign, bedding, water, feed. Before you just dump your salt on the ground make sure you have a good tree for a stand nearby.

Once you have your location my preferred salt recipe is as follows: Take a shovel or a big stick and clear away debris from salt hole. Try to dig out the dirt 6-8 inches deep and 2-3 feet in diameter. Next pour in 20-40 pounds of salt pellets, then pour 1 bag of deer cocaine over the top. Next pour at least one gallon of water onto salt. Use a stick or shovel to mix the salt, water and dirt together. If you have a salt block then set it right in the middle. Up north in the pines I like to use the acorn flavored licks, but the larger mineral blocks work just fine as well.

The next step is to set up your trail camera on the salt, then check back in 1-2 weeks to see what you got pictures of coming in. Without a camera you have no idea if it will be worth hunting.

Replenish the salt pellets and block as they get absorbed into the ground. I only use the deer cocaine when I first get a salt lick started and right before the hunt. Also remember that the older your salt lick gets generally the more action it will recieve, so keep replenishing the salt year after year and you should always have a nice spot to sit a treestand during the hunt.

I've also noticed that salt usually works better in the pines than in the desert. I'm not sure why but that's just what I've noticed.

I agree with the part about salt not working as well in the desert. I've never had much luck with salt or deer co cain in the desert. I think maybe since the ground in the desert already has a high salt content they probably get all they need from what they eat. By far the best way to locate deer in the desert is by finding water sources. I usually look for springs, seaps, and water that collects on bedrock in washbeds. I've watched many man-made waterholes and while they do get hit (usually by does) I think the big bucks will go out of thier way to drink at a spring rather than a water hole. There are almost always roads that lead right to waterholes and they always get alot of traffic from all different kinds of hunters. You might even think of making your own waterhole. I have four I'm working on now, made out of 50 gallon drums cut in half long ways. I'll let you know how they work when I finally get them out there.

Donnie