Sign in to follow this  
TAM

Connor's first cow elk!

My two sons Kade (12) and Connor (10) pulled cow elk tags for unit 9. This would be Connor's first big game tag so his older brother Kade, who has already killed three animals of his own, was gracious enough to let Connor have priority on this trip. The plan was for Kade, Connor, their younger brother Corbin (9) and myself go up and hunt by ourselves. But when I pulled into the driveway with a brand new "rented" 26 foot toy hauler with heater, sink, microwave, shower, toilet, and warm beds my wife, daughter, and Bulldog Gus decided to come as well.

The first morning we went out to a vantage point where we could glass the PJ's. After a few minutes of glassing with my tripod mounted 15's my son Kade says he sees a herd of elk with his hand held 8's. Sure enough there was a raghorn bull and 5 cows about 1200 yards away feeding. We bailed off the mountain but once we hit the PJ flat everything changed and we never saw them again.

Later that night we went to an area where Doug (Red Rabbit) had seen some elk activity on his bull hunt (Thanks Doug!). I knew this area from my scouting trips and I also knew the perfect spot for an evening glass. After an hour or so of glassing we heard some distant gun shots and even though they were a long ways off I decided I'd better look in that direction just in case. Seconds after I adjusted my bino's I saw two cows feeding down a ridge to the flats. Un-spooked and obviously not the same elk as the ones being shot at we quickly bailed off our vantage point and ran a mile to get within range of the elk. As we got to the base of the ridge the elk had moved down we had good wind but I think we made a little to much noise and they were aware of our presence and beginning to file out. We quickly tried to get set up but the tall grass was making it difficult for Connor to get set up. After several attempts in various positions we had to move about 30 yards which put us in perfect position as the last cow was moving right at us. She was very much aware of something but didn't know what or where the danger was. Finally she stopped facing directly at us only 50 yards away. The only problem was that from Connor's prone position the brush covered everything right up to her jaw leaving nothing but her head exposed. I asked Connor several times if he could see her through the scope and he finally said "yes... but only her head and ears!" So I told him to hit her right in the head, to which he responded "ok, I'll try." A second later there was a BOOM and no more cow standing in the open. I raised to my feet and could see for a hundred yards in front of us and there was no cow running off which could only mean one thing. Connor stood up and we high fived as the two brothers came to congratulate! As we all moved forward we found Connor's first ever cow elk and big game animal, something I hope he never forgets!

We hunted hard for the next couple of days with out seeing much and unfortunately Kade never got an opportunity to pull the trigger. As happy as I am for Connor getting his first animal I'm sure proud of Kade for offering Connor the opportunity to go first. That's just what good big brothers do!

Three brothers after our first morning of glassing.

post-25-0-24047000-1355107027_thumb.jpg

From left to right: Corbin, Kade, Connor

post-25-0-75294100-1355106648_thumb.jpg

Connor

post-25-0-77774400-1355106744.jpg

Even little sister Kamryn and her Bulldog Gus joined in on the action! Gus wasn't really impressed with the hunting and camping thing. He just pretty much likes to sleep.

post-25-0-29254600-1355106800.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations Connor! Looks like a fine outing for the whole family! Nicely done Tim.