Sign in to follow this  
kennyazman

Desert Muley rut

Has anyone seen any rutting activity or maybe some pre rut in the desert units? Less than a week away from the archery hunt. Lets hope those temps drop and those bucks start chasing some tail!

Was out hitting some ponds this morning and I didn't see any rut activity hopefully after these next couple

We had 1 morning on the jr hunt with 4 bucks hanging in the general area of a group of does. 2 started pokin at each other and ended up in an all out brawl for 5 minutes. 1st time we'd seen deer fight - pretty cool. We came close but didn't connect. Other than that bucks were solo other than baby bucks hangin with does.

I head back out on the 18th for 4 days to try and fill my 2012 tag.

I was out glassing today and saw some bucks hanging out with doe's feeding but they were not chasing yet.

I hope they don't start till the first of the year :-)

• Like 1

Checked cams.this.weekend had a spike and fork all over some does lol. The big ones have been cruiseing by solo this was out in 44a

I hope they don't start till the first of the year :-)

+1

Sounds like its getting close. There's a chance of snow in the higher elevations on Friday. It's looking to be a pretty good opening weekend. Good luck to everyone who is going out on Friday. Can't wait to see some pics! I'm hooked on archery mule deer in the rut! I can't wait!

I'll be chasing them with my 7MM come Friday. :) Saw some serious rutting up high on the rim last weekend.

• Like 1

Was out last Sat. Checking some cams. Saw a herd of 40 mulies out in the desert 3 forkys and a spike traveling with all the doe and fawns. No sign of rut yet. I'll be helping some friends out this weekend with muzzy tags. Should have a better report after spending the weekend behind glass. Good luck to all.

Opening day for me resulted in a blown stalk on a big tall 4 point buck. He was running with two does. His neck was all swollen up by I didn't see him show much sign of pushing them around just yet. Although I glassed them up just moments before they all bedded down so he may have been pushing them before I spotted them. Lets hope day two goes better for me. I snuck up to 54 yards of him and he was still bedded. Couldn't get a shot though. I'm still upset about that one.